dancing horses

dancing horses

Sunday, March 1, 2020

Fat and Happy



I actually rode three times this week. Which is exciting.

Saturday Julia came out to ride in the morning. The ring was free of ice but a bit hard so we stuck to a walk work out. I've come to love rides with just walking. There is so much to practice: big circles, small circles, changes of bend, shoulder/haunches in, leg yields, half-pass, turn on the haunches, backing up. It allows me to slow everything down and focus on how it feels.

Before I know it, 45 minutes has gone and we're all feeling good.

from our lesson this week. Practicing square halts

Today the ring was perfect and so we could walk, trot and canter. The biggest thing I'm finding with Carmen is that she's being very steady. When I watched the videos from the lesson I could really hear how rhythmical she sounded. I'm doing way better at staying focussed and balanced over her and treating her bobbles as just a momentary loss of balance. I'm not fighting her but not giving up on what I want. Usually her right lead canter is a struggle in the spring because of a loss of strength.

Today I did a left canter and she was very balanced and steady. My seat was plugged in with no 'air time'.  We cantered all around the ring with zero hesitation or resistance. I brought her across the diagonal and picked up a trot. I brought her to a right circle to balance and strike off a canter but I could feel her ready to go so I just lightened the contact and then gave a light signal. She picked up a perfect rocking right lead canter without throwing in her haunches. We circled and she dropped to trot but that was just a strength/balance issue. I simply brought her back to balance and we picked up it up again. She broke a couple times but we just balanced and struck off. I was so happy- neither of us lost our cool over it.
breaking up the text wall with a photo of a cat who is up to
absolutely nothing and why would I suspect her of any ill intent. 

Before I knew it 45 minutes had passed. We worked a little more practicing our turn on the haunches. This is our latest area of difficulty. I save it to the end like I do with most new things. I do this because Carmen, instead of resisting, enjoys it because she begins to recognize that this is the end of the work. It worked for her with SI/HI and so I'm sticking with it.

It's good that I'm back to riding more, because February has been a month of eating. It was LobsterCrawl month here and me and my friends made the most of it. I've had lobster 3 times this month and that doesn't even touch what the rest of them have been doing. It's been fun.

creamed lobster on home made potato chips.
sounds weird but oh so good
On the weekend Ed and I visited Karen and Jim. Jim cooked an amazing Korean meal - honestly I felt that I needed to be rolled to bed. #noregrets. 

Carmen has also wintered really well. She's not as big as last year but still. However, we're both pretty happy. I much prefer a fat and happy Carmen then a thinner less happy/reactive Carmen. 

#thelwell


20 comments:

  1. Spring is on its way so you will be riding more. I'm sure both you and Carmen will be in great shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always excited for spring. Not only do I miss riding but I miss sitting outside breathing in the air.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's so good this year. We take it for granted given that we can drive five minutes and buy it off the wharf.

      Delete
  3. Great that you are getting some rides in! Sounds like a fun month of good food with friends too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a better-than-average February.

      Delete
  4. oh my goodness, that neck!! she really is such a good lookin mare! also i want to eat that food now too haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her neck is big, like you would expect with an andalusian. But I do love how it is muscling up correctly.

      Delete
  5. We went the entire month of February without a day of rain, for the first time since 1864 apparently! I know we "need it" but it's been great for riding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It's hard to be mad at global warming when it makes spring come sooner. I am still trying to be environmentally conscious though.

      Delete
  6. It's so nice when they come out of winter and it doesn't feel like you're having to start over! She looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good times all around and I love the look on the cats face. Of course that looks as innocent as could be! Love lobster and would love the lobster crawl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would enjoy living here (well except for the winters....). And poor Willow- she's sooo innocent.

      Delete
  8. Ha! Yes, fat and happy might be the key! Everyone likes to savor life and living, even our horses. I could use more of that in my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be. I think the happy is good. The fat is just a result of not working. But I'll take it. I am grumpy when I'm hungry.

      Delete
  9. Im anxious to see you start spring before me! You will be cantering around your ring in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So nice to be able to ride in February/March! This mild winter has been lovely, hope it doesn't turn on us before spring!
    Also, creamed lobster on potato chips sounds like my dream meal. Send some south please!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.