dancing horses

dancing horses

Thursday, September 28, 2017

Bit Review- Stubben Golden Wing

I have been away since Friday which is why I have not been blogging. I was travelling to Toronto for a conference and used the opportunity to go and visit my sister and her family as well. I rented a car to get her place and I have to say that travelling on the 401 through the middle of Toronto is not for the faint of heart.

Anyway, I had been planning to write this review for a while and now seems like a good time since I don't have any riding to report on.

Let me start by saying that no one would consider me a tack collector. I use the same bridle for schooling and showing (although I switch out the brow band). FYI, for those who say 'But Teresa, you have an awful lot of saddle pads don't you?';  forget it-  I have decreed that saddle pads don't count.

I don't tend to change up bits unless there's a problem. For a long time I had been riding Carmen in a jointed, loose ring bit with a peanut in the middle. She was going well in it but I was wondering if the loose ring part was exacerbating some of her issues. Essentially what was happening was that Carmen would spook and/or run out of the bit and it would pull through her mouth and create more issues by pinching. I was looking for a 5 1/4 double jointed egg butt but only found ones that were lots of money. Did I mention that I am frugal? I will spend money to get what I need but I couldn't understand why the size I wanted was always over $200.

I then won a gift card from Riding Warehouse. Looking at their page I found the Stubben Golden Wing:

It looked like it combined the flexibility of the loose ring with the stability of the eggbutt. I did a bit of research and the Stubben website claimed:
  • 100% pinchless.
  • Wings position the bit correctly regardless of head position.
  • Cheek plates bear on the sides of the mouth providing an indirect rein effect to correct resistance to the direct rein.
  • Sweet copper promotes better acceptance.
  • No nutcracker effect and no palate pressure
I figured that the gift card made it much cheaper and if i didn't like it I could always sell it. I also double checked to make sure it was legal for dressage.

I've ridden in this bit for a few months now. Carmen seemed to like it right away and there was far less fussing with the bit. I liked the shape of it and it curved to conform to the horses mouth. At times i have found it to be almost too mild if she's in a mood to take the bit and go but that rarely happens anymore.

And it looks fancy. I get a few comments when I'm out at clinics and shows- people are curious about it.


I find that Carmen is very willing to take up contact with this bit and it seems to stay very stable. I am  not a gimmicky person but I think that this is well designed and made. I can see where it would be a great bit to start a young horse. If you are looking at bits I would seriously consider this one- the price is very reasonable as well: US: Riding Warehouse for $83.95, Canada: Bakers Saddlery for 84.95 (the only place I could find with the 5 1/4 size and not the 4 in 1 gag). 



30 comments:

  1. I, too, generally go to the French link loose ring first, but I am finding that both Snappy and now Ellie dislike the "looseness" of the loose ring. I just went with the same bit in eggbutt rings instead, though I had considered this bit too! I tend to be a tack hoarder, but I didn't want another bit in the collection that didn't get used. Good to know it is a good compromise between the loose ring and eggbutt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have gone with the eggbutt but couldn't find one in Carmen's size of 5 1/4! This is working well though.

      Delete
  2. It does look like a nice bit. And if it works for Carmen I say that makes it worth the price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same way about using the same tack for everything. Same bridles for schooling and dressage. Basically never changing bits. Similarly I went ahead and invested in a couple nice bits and that's what I stick with. Glad you found one that works so well for Carmen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know many successful people change bits and things but I think it would drive me nutty.

      Delete
  4. I've used this bit before. It didn't work for Fiction, but it is a very nicely made bit and I really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Val was ridden in a slow twist when I got him. I immediately switched to a loose ring on the recommendation of my trainer and he absolutely hated it - due to pinching I believe. We ride in an eggbutt now. What would you say is the difference between the wings and an eggbutt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only difference I can see is that the rings allow for some movement and the wings keep it more stable then the egg butt. But I could be wrong too. :)

      Delete
  6. Glad you found something that works well for Carmen! And double bonus on how classy it looks 🙂 bits can be so individual for each horse, and it's awesome to find something they like/go well in.

    Your US readers might verify the legality of that bit under USEF dressage rules though -- last time I checked that particular bit was illegal (although "sleeved" snaffles are permitted, the "wings" on the Stubben are too big). Not sure about eventing rules, so might be fine there. I just know when I looked it up for USDF, it was a no go :( which is a shame, I really like the concept!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah- the rules can get complicated. This exact bit is listed in Dressage Rulebook as being legal. It surprises me that it might be different for the U.S. because usually we just mirror you.

      Delete
  7. It is fancy looking! It doesn't hurt to do the job well (and also be easy on the eyes haha)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for this review. I love learning about different snaffles. Ebay is my friend for selling my failed bits (pelham most recently, for 10Euros). "Sleeved vs Winged" ---omgosh I had no idea.

    Saddle pads do not count (hoarder) YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I must continue shopping now....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not heard of a sleeved bit either. And saddle pads NEVER count. :)

      Delete
  9. Glad you found a bit that works for you both. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They also have these at wilton - they ship worldwide and have great customer service!! You were only about 2 hrs from me :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've looked at that bit before and it looks really cool, but I think it's illegal for us dressage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you found something that is working! I bought the gag version for Mia to try over XC and it seemed to work decently (the couple of times I was able to use it...). She hates the loose ring and loves the eggbutt, I wonder if she would mind this version. Hmmm says the confirmed tack collector....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing wrong with trying new things as long as there's a reason

      Delete
  13. I hope you had a lovely vacation. The bit looks very interesting. Glad Carmen has taken so quickly to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice combination of visiting family and a conference.

      Delete
  14. Thank you for posting this review! I wonder if this bit would work for Booger. The pinchless design combined with the loose ring flexibility appeals to me, and she LOVES sweet copper. Food for thought!

    Also, I agree that saddle pads don't count as tack *shoves saddle pad under couch*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha! I see I'm not that only saddle pad collector.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.