dancing horses

dancing horses

Thursday, November 17, 2016

12 years

I don't know if I've ever told the story of how we came to have Belle. A few months earlier we had put down our 3/4 Aussie Jewel. I was really missing her and d'Arcy (who was 4 at the time) was pining. Jewel was one of the smartest dogs I've ever known. She also wasn't an easy dog. I decided that I wanted to rescue another Aussie in her name. We applied to a breed rescue and passed the interview and home visits. We then had a call that there was a dog that might fit our household. She had spent her early years in a cage being used for breeding. She lived in Maine so Ed and I drove halfway to meet up with the rescue people in St. John, NB. It was a long day but I loved her right away and we brought her home. She came with issues. Belle was terrified of small spaces. It took months before she would follow me into the bathroom and years before she stopped flinching. She was aggressive towards other dogs and boys between the ages of 7-16 made her become very defensive. We worked through all of them. It took a while for her to be able to walk for more than 10 minutes without being tired. Once she became fitter she was your typical bouncy Aussie. 


 Since Monday Belle has not been eating, barely drinking and having trouble breathing. There were glimpses where she seemed to rally and then fall backwards. We consulted with the vet over the phone twice. Today we tried something to ease her stomach. It was an impossible choice- death by heart failure or death by starvation/dehydration. Tonight she drank a bit and then promptly threw it all up. Ed and I discussed that we would give her a few days max. 

Ed left to go to a meeting and she took a turn for the worst. I looked at her struggling to breathe and I saw my mother in the hospital bed with the same struggles. I knew with complete clarity that it was time.

 I called the vets and they said to come over. I tried to get in touch with Ed but couldn't get through on his cell. The staff were more than kind. They helped me carry her in because she couldn't walk.  I sat with her on a mat on the floor waiting stroking her head and talking to her. 
don't worry baby. You will be running free soon. I love you. You are the best dog. 
She put her paw on my hand and looked at me. 
She passed away quietly with me stroking her head. I knew when she was no longer there. 

Belle was 12 years old and had 8 wonderful, happy years with us living the life as a family dog. She loved her people fiercely  and would die to protect them. I am glad that she is no longer suffering. 


The average life span of a dog is 10-13 years. 

It's not nearly enough. 

23 comments:

  1. You're so right. 10 - 13 years is not nearly enough. My heart aches for you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss. She had a beautiful life with you. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm crying for you. Here is a quote a friend shared with me last winter when we lost one of our beloved dachshunds:

    "We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan."
    Irving Townsend

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear this but you did the kindest thing you could for her. She loved you and her family and I'm sure she was grateful for you rescuing her from her previous life of misery. Rest in Peace Belle. Run free and romp with Jewel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry. Your whole family is in my thoughts.

    What a wonderful life Belle had with you. Such a lucky dog to have so much love and care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She was/is a beautiful dog. She was so very much loved, even till the end. Doing what is right is so hard. That choice is looming in my not too distant future too :( I'm sure she's running around, pain free, and having a blast now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, it never is nearly enough. Hugs, Teresa, hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So terribly sorry. It's to hard, I'm glad she managed to tell you, even more so that you heard her. Sounds like she enjoyed a full and appreciated life with you & Ed. Cyber hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a difficult thing to do but the kindest thing to do to ease her pain and suffering, So many wonderful memories will remain in your heart. So sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know you are going through a difficult time, but you made the right decision Teresa. You and Belle were lucky to have each other for the time you did have. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I'm so so sorry. It's never enough time. Never.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry, I am glad you were there to help her over the last bridge. It is hard but I know you made the right decision for her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hugs from me. Such an amazingly tough thing to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rest easy Belle. What an amazing 8 years she would have had with you, and you with her. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sorry to read this. You gave her such a good life, and I'm sure she was grateful. You are in my heart <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. A dog's love is like nothing else, and it's so true, our time with them is not long enough. My heart breaks for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My deepest sympathies to you and Ed. It's never easy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so sorry <3 Sending many hugs to you. Belle was so lucky to have been your dog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is definitely not enough. I'm so, so sorry for your loss. :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.