However, writing them out helped me to stay motivated and keep going even when we had a few set backs.
|Carmen: 'what are we looking at?'|
- 145 blog posts (feel free to check my math).
- 4 clinics :
- Dressage /centred riding with Johanna Batista
- Dressage with Jane Fraser
- Trail with Nikki and Mike Porter
- Dressage with Jacqueline Brooks
- 4 Shows with scores ranging from 3 to 8:
- 3 schooling shows at Five Fires
- 1 Bronze/Gold at Windsor Exhibition
- Multiple lessons- Too many to count (or I am too lazy to check, you decide).
- 3 off-property trail rides and many on-property
- Rides- again I could count them as I track them on my calendar but let's go with 'lots'. I spent a lot of time in the saddle
- 1 horse camp with my niece coming to stay
- A few fun weekends with Karen
I am finding a hard time picking the 'best' thing that we did.
It was a fun year.
Getting the ribbons and awards was fun but more for what they represented.
|I still laugh when I see this photo- it totally summed up our first show experience (PC Joanne Kane)|
We really worked hard on getting ourselves together and building the partnership.
|pretty much where we were in January|
|pretty much where we are now|
I learned a lot this year:
- Carmen is much better off-property than on.
- I still really enjoy showing.
- Carmen LOVES the trail and is far more relaxed then in the ring
- I can sit in the saddle and ride things out (even a heart pounding bolt).
- Carmen and I can work together as a team and she will look to me for guidance (and by god I better have it).
- That Carmen has a habit of spooking in the same spot in every ring (between E and C)
- I have the most amazing friends who go above and beyond to help us reach our goals.
I loved doing the trail/ Working Equitation obstacles and want to do more this year. It is just so much fun:
|Carmen: um, are you sure?|
|Carmen: I can do this and look pretty at the same time|
Ed helped me carve out some trails on our property and it has been a lot of fun planning and riding on them. One has been blocked by the storm we just had and so will need some work in the spring:
|no riding through that.|
Overall 2017 has been a stellar year for us. I am so happy that I persevered with Carmen and found a way to reach her. I have learned that we are very alike (both good and bad). She has made me a better rider and, in some ways, a better person. I am more patient (I said 'more patient' not 'patient' so stop laughing) and more aware of how my internal state affects those around me.
Here's to 2018.
|Me: are you ready?|
Carmen: oh yeah, I'm ready