dancing horses

dancing horses

Thursday, March 5, 2020

The Final Gift

My dear friend said goodbye to her mare today.

It was fucking hard.

You see, like all of us, she loved this mare with her whole heart and soul.

We all loved her. She had a way of gazing at you that made you believe that she saw you. Beyond the facade and into your soul. She saw the good and the bad and she liked you anyway. I think a lot of horses do this but she was so clear about it.

Her personality was curious, insightful, slightly stubborn and always humorous. She wasn't a fan of being ridden but was 110% safe for anyone to ride. That's rare. I was fortunate to ride her a couple times and I found her to be fun and humbling. If you were unbalanced at all she would stop and refuse to move. She did love doing tricks (like playing fetch, soccer) and hanging out with people.

She was beautiful and loving and a true character. She should have lived into her 30s.

Instead in her early teens she began to develop rapidly growing tumours all over her body. She seemed healthy and happy but who knows what was going on inside?

So, faced with the prospect of a horrible, painful death from a catastrophic colic my friend made the only decision possible.

She let her go.

Let her go quietly.

With dignity.

Free from pain.

My friend endured a week of torture. Of waiting. Of trying to be positive with her horses without bawling her eyes out. Her mare had a week of loving care.

I'm sure my friend felt like a wreck but I saw only caring, dignity and grace.

And love.

It's the most loving gift she could give. And it was hard. But she did it.

Because she loved her horse.

All horses should be so lucky.

God speed Flamante. Say hi to Steele for me.
(PC K.P.) 

19 comments:

  1. The greatest gift we can give them is a beautiful death. With dignity and love! They give us so much and try so hard to make us happy. That unconditional love that they are so very good at.
    She knew she was loved. How could she not with the special person she was lucky to have as her own.
    It painfully devastating but beautifully kind at the same time.
    RIP Flamanti you have more then earned your wings! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is by far the most difficult part of owning and loving horses. She sounds like a wonderful, special mare. Hugs to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs and best wishes to all of you. Your friend sounds like the best of people, so sorry she lost her lovely mare far too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A big hug to you and your friend. It truly is the best gift we can give. The hubby has personally performed this for all our previous furry loved ones and I don’t know how he manages to get through it. I love your description of Flamante. She sounds like a special girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry :( I lost my first horse in 2006 to Colic and it's still with me every single day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry about your mare. It’s so hard.

      Delete
  6. Colic is how Gamby left us. I wish there was something I could say, but I remember that nothing anyone said really helped at the time. Some things only time can heal. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a such a hard way to lose them. Not that there really are any easy ways.

      Delete
  7. What a tragic, too soon loss. I thank God for time with such noble souls. But I also know they are rare, and replacing them impossible, and it makes it harder as you move forward. She’s not even your horse, but you recognized it. That says a lot about her. My deep condolences to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had a huge soul. I am sure you would have loved her.

      Delete
  8. oh no, i'm so sorry for your friend and the loss of her lovely mare <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Losing them is always hard - I am so sorry for your friend and my heart goes out to her

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry for all of you. It's the hardest thing to do. And the best thing we can do for them when that time comes. Which is always too soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.