dancing horses

dancing horses

Friday, March 27, 2015

Getting Outside

The spring melt finally seems to be happening. With all the snow and ice it's also bringing it's share of challenges but since it's going to happen anyway we shall just grit our teeth and get through it. I'm continuing my work out regime of ice chipping with the 20 pound pry bar. It works well but when I'm done my whole body feels the workout. 

Charlante is not appreciative of being inside by herself. Yesterday I let out Lexie and Irish and stayed in the barn to keep her company. She paced her stall and called but began to settle. I brought out the saddle to give it a clean and as I was cleaning it I heard chewing on the wood door that leads from her stall to the outside. I growled at her. She came over to the stall door and looked at me innocently. We repeated this a few times. I then heard the latch rattle. 
wait a minute- that latch is on the outside
I headed outside. There was Lexie standing outside her stall trying to open it!

Let me out!

I'm trying! I need opposable thumbs! 
Growling at Lexie did no good so after a bit I brought the two of them in. I will get Charlante used to being alone but I don't want my door chewed off. Irish was above such shenanigans and simply grazed on hay. 

Unfortunately an attempt to turn Lexie and Charlante out together did not go well. Far too much excitement for my peace of mind, so I brought them in. The snow was still too deep and too close to the top strand of tape. 

It rained last night and Irish's stall flooded. Sigh. With the ground frozen the water had no where to go. I've done yet more trenching and seem to have it sorted. I hope. However, the snow was down significantly so I decided to try Charlante and Irish together this morning while I cleaned out his stall.  I wanted to be careful so I gave her a bit of Ace in her morning feed (it's a light sedative) to take the edge off and gave it some time to work. She's now diving into her food like a true starving Andalusian so she ate it all. I brought Irish out and then Charlante. 

It went perfectly. As you know Irish can be a bit silly at times but he was very quiet and calm. She stayed close to the barn. She stepped off the path that the horses had made and sunk up to her knees and decided that she wouldn't venture further. Good girl. Irish tried to convince her to go up to his napping spot at the top of the hill but she politely said no thank you. There was no running about, no squealing or kicking or actions to make my heart stop. 

After about 2 hours I brought them both in. 
total non-event. See, we're behaving! 

I can see that I have a lot of fence tightening in my future. I also hate how dirty the snow looks but I'm stuck with it for now. 

I love her.....even if she does lay down in the dirty spots
This is what Irish always used to do with Steele. It does my heart good.

16 comments:

  1. Awwww.... good progress toward the settling in & turnout stuff. I totally hear you about the dirty snow, and my fencing looks like yours, only worse! Is yours Horseguard as well? Love that stuff but the wind was really, really hard on it this winter. Lots of spring chores need doing...that is, once the snow melts and I can physically GET to them...! Anyway. Great pics, great blogging, great fuzzy ponies. Looking forward to more soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it's horseguard- the kind that doesn't need a grounding. I'm glad that I have it otherwise I wouldn't have a charge going through it with all the snow.

      Delete
    2. Wait.... There is a type of electric fence that doesn't need a ground????

      Delete
  2. Aww that is so sweet! I can't believe Lexi was trying to let Charlante out. I really do wonder how much they understand....!

    Glad to see your girl is settling in nicely. Good luck with all that snow and ice! You are going to be in awesome shape by the time this winter is fully gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no kidding! Even running is more fun than this...

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad Irish and Charlante are getting along well. Not that I was worried after that first picture you posted of him craning his neck around the stall to kiss her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Irish has had many companions over the years. He has good 'social' skills.

      Delete
  4. Watching the herd dynamic work itself out with a new horse can be really stressful. I remember it took months for my herd to accept Rock. It seemed I was always treating injuries. But now everyone loves him. I'm glad you had at least one horse that hit it off with the new horse right away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. I only have 2 horses (now) which makes it easier.

      Delete
  5. I just cried a little when I saw that last picture! Heart warming. Xoxo


    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that photo. Irish Eyes Are Smiling ☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. More progress. I'm sure she appreciated getting out after that long trailer ride.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm super happy to see things seem to be going well. It's funny that Lexie seemed to be trying to let Charlante out and that last picture of Irish and Charlante is really sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here's the link: https://www.mastersonmethod.com/component/guru/guruPrograms/2-remote-learning/5-free-sample-lesson/view/747.html?task=view

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww!!! That last picture brought happy tears to my eyes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.