dancing horses

dancing horses

Thursday, June 2, 2016

Toeing the Line



I've been doing a lot of thinking since my last few rides. As you could probably tell I was a bit frustrated. I came to some conclusions:

1. I was making everything negotiable. Moving ahead, stopping, going to places- all of it was up for discussion. I was backing down from using the crop becasue she had such a strong reaction.

2. I was letting her push me around on the ground as well- invading my space, pushing me over etc.

In short, Carmen was making far too many decisions. But, also,

3. fluttering grass and trees are truly a scary thing for her. Her prey instinct is very strong and she's very wary by nature.

4. She's very sensitive (not news, really), intelligent and learns quickly.

5. Carmen's reaction to pressure is to get away from it. So of course bolting is her response when she's not liking something or is frightened.

Based on that I made some decisions:

1. I have to crystal clear in my intentions and have the guts to back it up.

2. I can only be as firm as necessary otherwise there is no learning

3. I need to give her options other then running away.

All of it needed to start on the ground.

Tuesday I came home, changed my clothes and went to the barn. Ed had already brought them in and fed them (I was late). I put on Carmen's halter and the lunge line and we walked out of her stall and up to the ring. It was very windy. Good.

I started with leading-she was to walk beside me and stop when I did. A few times she barged ahead and I was clear that she was to back up and NOT pass. She refused to back and I tapped her smartly on her chest. We did this up to the ring.

By the time we were there she was leading perfectly. In the ring I then added in asking her to square up at the halt. If a hind leg was out I would tap it to have her bring it up. She completely ignored the taps. The horse that can feel a fly on her rump stood like a statue and did not move her leg. I realized that this had been building- she would stand there for five minutes and not move the freaking leg. I realized that she felt it was an option. So I changed it- small tap, stronger tap, WHACK (not on her leg directly I didn't want to injure a tendon but on the haunch. She would move her leg -too far of course but I was okay with that- I wanted her to MOVE. A few of those and she started moving on the second tap. Then the first, then as soon as I pointed the crop.
Clever horse- I am on to you now. 

I then went to lunging. I wanted crisp and listening transitions and she was not to fall in on me on the spooky parts. I didn't care how she felt about it, I just wanted her to go there. We lunged up and down the ring with stops in between to do in hand work. Once she slammed on the brakes and refused to go forward and I gave her snap of the whip. Another time she tried to run out and I brought her to a whoa. I can't talk her out of being wary of the waving grass and trees. But I can convince her that listening to me is far more critical.

By the end she was listening and tuned in and no more was I 'negotiating'.

It took all of 30 minutes (at the most, I really didn't have a watch on). We then grazed and I put her back in her stall.

I always do ground work before I ride but I'm going to do at least one session a week on only ground work so I'm not anxious to be sitting in the saddle.

opinionated mare

16 comments:

  1. I constantly get penalized by my instructors for being too easy on my horse and making excuses for him. It's hard to buckle down sometimes! Groundwork is a great way to get them to respect you though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more groundwork I do the more I see the value of it. It is hard to push through strong resistance because you believe that you must be wrong.

      Delete
  2. That sounds like great progress. You can always move things along by increasing the pressure, but I know it can be difficult to do that if you know your horse might react violently or dangerously. People also worry that they might be instilling more fear into an already fearful horse, but I think she probably knows you by now and knows you wouldn't really hurt her. You just want results, and the quicker she delivers them, the less pressure she receives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that she begins to figure this out. :)

      Delete
  3. Good game plan for the lovely Carmen. She and Lucy are so similar...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's smart. It really does all come down to the respect on the ground. There's no age where they get over that either. Little things on the ground go a LONG way in the saddle and to building that togetherness where they look to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that! You are so very right. A lot of your work has inspired me.

      Delete
  5. I can definitely see a transformation in Tesla with all the ground work we've been doing recently! It's sounds like its working on Carmen too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great ground work session. I find that when I go into a training session with a clear picture of what I want in mind it goes much better. It sounds like you really honed in on what you expected and she rewarded you with her attention. That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good plan. I need to do more groundwork myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was not emphasized in any training I've done with horses until I moved to a 'western' area.

      Delete
  8. Good for you! Ground work can really change everything. The entire relationship dynamic is established there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am amazed at how this continues to be true. I am regretful of when I used to board and just came to ride.

      Delete
  9. Groundwork is just such a great tool. I may steal your idea and start doing a day of groundwork each week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.