When I used to be a boarder I felt guilty if I did not spend time with my horse (with boarding I could only afford one horse). I often rode but I also enjoyed just grooming Irish and spending time with him. He didn't always seem to appreciate being taken out of his field though.
Now that they are home I see them everyday (unless I am away). But now I've noticed that I feel guilty if I don't spend time with them other then the necessary care. I guess I thought that I wouldn't feel guilty anymore if my horse was home. Yesterday and today I only had time to do the necessary care so tonight I made sure that I went out to the barn and gave them both a nice groom. Both seemed much happier after I was done.
Horse ownership seems to be a lot like parenting:
- I feel like I'm making it up as I go along (don't tell the kids)
- there's always potential for guilt
- everyone has an opinion as to how you are doing as either a parent or horse owner
- there is a lot of hard slogging involved some days
- you need sometimes to hold them while a vet/doctor does something unpleasant