dancing horses

dancing horses

Monday, July 8, 2024

Summer Vibes

 First of all, thank you to everyone who reached out and commented with encouragement, support and empathy. I really appreciated it. 

This morning the vet clinic I had reached out to called me. They are working hard on a plan to support the horse owners in our area. The woman I talked to was professional and kind. She said that they are looking at setting 1-2 days a month to come to our area for routine care/calls. She outlined the emergency procedure and generally made me feel a lot better. They also have a great set up for hauling in so I might do that. The big worry is that if there's a major emergency and the horse can't be trailered because of how far away they are but I won't borrow that trouble.  It feels like a huge burden has been lifted.  I'm hoping that we will see equine services in our area again. 

I love this screen shot from my lesson last weekend

Last week we got our small square bales in. It was a lovely day and it was fairly easy. I usually get a mix of square and round bales. This year I'm doing a mix of small and large squares. I'm hoping that this will be easier for storage and less dust. 

Cordelia approves of the hay

Ed and I also went strawberry picking the next day. I love strawberries and we are currently feasting on strawberry shortcake, putting strawberries in yogurt and I want to back some things with them. I made jam and will freeze some berries in baggies to add to my breakfast over the winter. 

summer deliciousness

I've been riding both horses fairly regularly. With the summer heat settling in I have to get it done in the morning. But I don't mind. Quaid and I growing in confidence and it's a lot of fun. We have some great conversations.  He developed this hop into his trot transition which was making me uncomfortable and trying to figure out how to fix it.  As with moth things, there's not one answer. He needs to be forward thinking and a little flexed to the inside.  The last two rides I've been working on correcting it. When he'd hop, I'd say 'no' and bring him back, reset and ask again. When he'd simply trot without the hop I'd praise and reward. I can really see him thinking it through. He's so cool in how he tries. Today was pretty hot so he enjoyed a good hosing after. 

He's filling out nicely

The deer flies are awful this year and driving him a little crazy. I finally caved and bought him a fly sheet. I hope this will help him. But man he looks hilarious. 

Serious Mrs. Roper vibes here

The flysheet was a bargain and is a cheetah pattern. The fly boots are hot pink because he usually comes in with just 1 and the hot pink is easy to find in the field. Carmen's expression when she saw him was hilarious.  I don't have a fly sheet for Carmen. The flies bother her but not too bad and I don't like how hot they can get in them. The longer I have horses the less I'm inclined towards blankets and sheets in general.  (but I do use them when I think it's necessary). 

I've signed both horses into a clinic at the end of the month. I'm looking forward to riding them both.  Based on last year's experience it should be a lot of fun. 

How's your summer going? 



14 comments:

  1. Glad you got some answers in the vet situation.
    A clinic with both horses - I really miss riding in clinics! I learned so much that has stuck with me over the years. Have fun!
    I don't have my hay yet but the locals have finally got haying weather so it shouldn't be long now.
    My summer is al about young 'uns. Gussie has about a month to go for foaling, and Theo is coming along nicely. No riding for me this summer- I really miss it . May have to go ride a friend's horse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be hard with the weather being nice. But playing with foals also sounds fun.

      Delete
  2. Summer has finally hit the prairies this week. Looks like we're going to feel like 30+ for most of the next two weeks. The horses are going to have it pretty easy as I melt at these temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s so hard when it goes from cool to hot.

      Delete
  3. That's so difficult with your vet situation. Glad you have some kind of coverage ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quaid is looking so grown up! and what a relief that the vet clinic is trying to work on figuring out how to keep you all resourced, fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s wonderful how supportive they are being. They could easily have said ‘not my problem’.

      Delete
  5. Quaid looks hilarious. Some horses are just a little more thin-skinned when it comes to the bugs. Epona is like that, too.

    Good for you getting so much riding in & finding out what needs fine tuning.

    We are in the 100’s for the next couple of days, so we’re in survival mode here. Keeping everything watered and in working order and the animals comfortable until it passes.

    We’re fitting tack for Epona since it’s something we need to do and it isn’t physical. It’s always a challenge. Every horse is so different, but we have a lot of saddles, bridles, blankets, and bits around here. Just have to find the right ones for her, …or buy more.

    Those strawberries look yummy. We are entering huckleberry season here, at least at the 3,000’ elevation. We usually go to Schweitzer Mt and pick them on the hike down after taking the lift to the top. Usually around the end of July they’re everywhere up there.

    Enjoy preparing for the clinic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t think I’ve ever had a huckleberry but they sound delicious.
      I’m sure Epona will go through many tack changes.

      Delete
  6. Glad you have a vet plan in action. What a relief.

    We feed small bales indoors and large squares in the pasture feeders. It is harder to find someone around here who still bales either. We bale our own small and hire out the large. The combo works well!

    We are considering trying a fly sheet of sorts for Cierra, if I can find something for her neck. Poor girl comes in covered in welts :(

    Our Summer so far has been consumed by rain and mosquitos. Hoping for a few floating day trips and possibly watching Brad show Padame in the last show of the season. If Padame gets cleared and stays sound.

    Glad you are enjoying your developing partnership with Quaid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Cierra! It is hard to find people who make the small bales. I expect that it won’t be possible in a few years.

      Delete
  7. Thank goodness you've got the vet issue sorted. That must be a huge relief! Excited to read about the clinics!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.