dancing horses

dancing horses

Monday, July 1, 2024

Lesson Recap: Elevation

 I had a lesson on Saturday and, spoiler alert,  it was really good.  Carmen was just coming off a heat so I knew it would be better. Now that she and I are working calmly it's a lot easier for me to identify patterns that affect behaviour. I will say that it's pretty clear that she's less willing to ' do the thing' (or anything really that doesn't involve rubbing her tail and eating) when she's in heat. Sometime I consider using medication but I've decided that we can figure this out without messing with her hormones (she is on chaste berry but nothing else). 



Our lesson was early and it was a truly lovely morning. The focus continues to be on helping Carmen and I to be in more self carriage. It is no longer sufficient that we are not careening about, now we have to elevate our game.  This requires me to be consistent in my aid, reins and expectations. It is hard work, for both of us. Like a really hard pilates class. Although I am grateful for my pilates classes because it's making this easier for me to do. 

I have to share this sequence of photos from the video. We were walking around, something spooked her and then we went right back to work. This is really good for us. 


falalala

oops!

false alarm

I have to say that when I rewatch the video I can see a marked improvement in Carmen's gaits. She is tracking up and staying much steadier than even from 2 months ago.  We even did a serpentine counter canter and it was pretty balanced. 



Jane is having us work on shoulder in on the circle. I would swear that I'm doing it but when I look at the video we are not. But we're trying. Carmen is funny- when she's uncertain (or unwilling) she will tighten everything up and then leg yield around the circle. Jane, I'm sure was getting frustrated with us. I did say at one point 'I don't know what we're doing but I'm pretty sure it's not what you want'.  Not that she gets mad, I just know that if she were riding it would be sorted while I flail about. (Instructing is not for the faint of heart). 

square halts at least

Canter is coming too


We changed direction and she became even stiffer doing some sort of leg yield crab walk thing.  I could definitely feel it be wrong. I can feel what she's doing I said, then I muttered 'now I fucking do something about it'. Jane laughed. I put on my leg and tapped Carmen with the whip. She needed to go forward and then bend. And she did. We came around again. Oh I took off my outside leg, no wonder she went sideways! I know, Jane said (a little smugly but that was fair). 

The goal, as Jane explained, is to take the weight off her front legs by half-halting into the transition. It also means riding her forward without going faster. This way she'll step more under with her hind legs. 

so much lighter


This mare is not easy. I doubt she'll ever be easy and I don't think I could have done this last year, she requires a level of fitness that Jane says wouldn't be necessary with a more sanguine horse. But she's taught me so much and made me elevate my game. When I worry that maybe this is too hard I look at the videos and see how this training is helping her to be balanced and soft which will only help her stay sound. 


It really is a lot of fun even though it's hard. 


6 comments:

  1. "I would swear that I'm doing it but when I look at the video we are not" ----> story of my life LOL! it's always crazy to me how deeply my body lies to me about my posture haha, what feels 'normal' or 'balanced' is usually anything but. y'all look great, tho, Carmen is really looking so steady and consistent! must feel so exciting :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The video really helps because there’s no way to argue. Even if it’s humbling lol. It does feel good.

      Delete
  2. I have followed your blog for a number of years and am so impressed with how far your partnership with Carmen has come. I totally agree that the tricky horses can teach us so many valuable lessons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I remember when her resistance was bolting. Now it’s not bending….😁

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.