dancing horses

dancing horses

Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Trust the Process

 Last weekend I packed up the horses and headed to a local stable for a 2 day clinic with Jane. It may seem weird to go to a clinic with a person that I lesson with regularly. But I thought it was a good chance to have back-to-back lessons and in a new place.  I took Quaid as well for the miles. 

I had ridden at this stable before a three years ago and I remember having to work hard with Carmen to keep her focussed. But we are in a much different place now. 

 My lessons were Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. I know I have done a lot of work with Carmen and seen a lot of success. Carmen was very chill getting groomed and tacked up despite this being her first time in a new barn. Yet, when I mounted, I immediately took a hold of Carmen to keep her contained. Jane immediately told me to let go and trust the work we've been doing. 

So I did and, spoiler alert, she was fine. Despite there being many things that she could legitimately take issue with: 

lots to look at, nothing to worry about

I was thrilled that we were able to simply go to work. Most of the lesson was on letting go of the inside rein and keeping my elbows at my side. That is so freaking hard but it keeps me stable and allow me to be soft in my arms. But as soon as she pulled or got tight I wanted to wing out my arms. 

Sigh. Riding is hard. But there's a lot of change too. She's not snarky and I'm not riding so defensively (the start notwithstanding). 

I love how she coming over her back and from behind. And in a lot of these screen grabs you can see that I have a soft rein. 


half-pass not half-bad


canter

stretching into trot

I was very happy with our ride. I could feel her be balanced and trying really hard. Here's a little video of us working on a counter canter (if you listen closely you can hear Quaid yelling his head off) :



The next day Carmen out exactly the same. Although a little more tired. She continues to struggle with flexing to the right and believes to her very soul that the only way she can do a transition, especially to canter, is to straighten her neck and even move it to the left. That way she doesn't have to load her inside hind in the strike off. But she really really tried and we started to get it. 



look at her focus


her tail continues to be magnificent



She was a bit more behind the leg which made me naggy. Jane wanted me to squeeze with my legs for a couple strides and then soften. I thought I was doing that but when I look at the video it looks like I'm going 'nag-nag-nag' with my legs. Sigh. But I'll get it. This is why video is so useful- what you think you're doing and what you're really doing are often different. There were times Jane told me to put my elbows at my sides but when I watch the video there's a lot of air between my arm and sides. 

The lessons were very successful. Not the least because it reinforced that Carmen can go somewhere new and go to work. And the work is good. 


21 comments:

  1. Old habits are so very hard to change. But that's how progress is made! Good job. Carmen looks great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are incredibly hard to change. I just keep plugging away.

      Delete
  2. That's so nice to be able to do a clinic with your trainer in a different setting. I feel like it gives some familiarity while still doing something new. Sounds like a successful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly it! Jane knows us which helps me to trust her when she says let go.

      Delete
  3. ooooooh soooooo lovely! what a beautiful team you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys look great! And what a good feeling to get validation that your partnership is so solid !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well with Carmen you get lots of feedback. 😁 sometimes not the validation part.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That tail is something else!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. So wonderful! I'm so excited for the day I can go new places and just have a good ride consistently

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely. I won't lie, all my thoughts left my brain when I saw her tail. Truly magnificent! ANYWAY, you have both worked so hard and have come so far. It is inspirational to follow along. Riding properly is so so hard. I have the same problems with the elbows...my instructor said I rode like a body builder...not the best feeling! Instead of the inside rein issue, my hands (especially my outside), along with my elbows, have minds of their own. They come in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And my hips. They are apparently not team players.

    BUT I would not trade the awareness for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You guys look lovely! We ended up with a dressage lesson this weekend and it was hard. I don't think Dalton has sweat that much yet this fall lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.