dancing horses

dancing horses

Tuesday, February 7, 2023

A Happier Update

 Early Monday morning we loaded Quaid on our trailer. My friend, Paula had come the night before to accompany me and help. Despite his pain he loaded without issue and we hit the road. It took about 5 hours to get to the college. We stopped twice to gas the truck and to check on him. He was such a trooper but by the time we arrived he was stressed and totally over it. Not that he did anything bad, but he was calling and wild eyed. 

I checked him in and then was met by the Vet resident (not sure if I'm using the correct terms). Patricio was from Costa Rico and very familiar with Andalusians/Lusitanos. He was very charming (as most spanish/LatinX men are I find). 

Quaid walked right though the bay doors and onto the scale (weight was 400 kg). Then a vet intern took him from me and away. That was hard. I reviewed the history of what happened and they told me the plan:

x-rays, ultrasound and to see what was going to happen. They also figured that they'd have to do IV antibiotics and his stay would be about 5 days (longer if they found something serious). They promised to give updates as soon as the diagnostics were finished. I signed some paperwork and gave my credit card and then Paula and I left to go to my friend Karen (she had moved to PEI in the summer and was only 45 minutes away). 

I was exhausted but relieved that we got him there and he was in one piece. I knew that it was all out of my hands and that was also a relief. 

Particio did call about 2 hours later. I grabbed a pen and took notes. 

What had happened was the wound track had closed over part way down and a big abscess had formed above it. they opened up his hoof to drain and have it all packed. There was a small fragment of bone that was dislodged by the screw but they felt that that would reabsorb. His hoof was packed with sugar and iodine. Unless things change in the next day or so they expect a full recovery with no complications. 

To say I was relieved feels like an understatement. After I hung up I needed a moment to have a small cry (but one of relief not heartbreak). He doesn't need IV antibiotics. They think that the oral will be fine. 

This morning Patricio told me that he was much better and they would have more info when they change his bandage this afternoon. I am hoping I can take him home tomorrow but if he needs to stay I will leave and come back. I was hoping that it was fixable but I hadn't dared to hope that it was 'just an abscess'. 

I have read every single encouraging word people have sent. It is overwhelming the support that Ed and I are getting. Joanne is coming to clean the stalls. A person who works at the feed store offered to deliver feed if we need it. Paula and Karen are godsends.  I don't know what I did to deserve such wonderful people in my life but I am incredibly grateful. 

Thank you. All of you. 



18 comments:

  1. I was SO SO SO relieved to read your update on FB. Jingles for the rest of his recovery to be smooth, quick, and uncomplicated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh i'm so relieved to read this <3 and so glad to hear the vets are optimistic about his recovery!! i've never seen charlie in more pain than with this most recent trauma-related abscess, it's just terrifying and heartbreaking ugh. my vet actually has developed a new treatment protocol for these giant hoof drainage tracts -- including applying topical antibiotics (oxytet and metro) directly to the hoof. not sure if that's appropriate in Quaid's case, but might be worth asking! in any case, i hope the rest of his stay at the hospital is uneventful and that he can get home easily asap to finish recovering!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am so relieved. Continued prayers for healing, strength, comfort, and peace. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh…I’m sending you a celebratory hug over the internet! I have felt that same relief before, many times. Most recently when our vet came out to give us the last update on Epona, and said, “If I could, I’d bake you a cake, because it’s time to celebrate!!”

    Here’s your cake! Because it’s time to celebrate!! 🎂

    ReplyDelete
  5. So relieved! So relieved! MVP goes to Karen for delivering you and Quaid to the experts. Happy cries all around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula and I drove Quaid here. Karen provided much needed safe place to land. Both are amazing friends. I have so many.

      Delete
  6. What amazing news!!! I'm so happy that its looking like it was so much less severe than it could have been. What a relief. I'm sorry it happened at such a difficult time for you two but hopefully he continues to mend and then you and Ed can focus on the human recovery stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This made me tear up a little. So happy the news is good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh goodness. What awesome news that it's better than feared!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful news! I hope everything heals up quickly from here on out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A much better update! Aren't horse people funny - "thank God it's only an abscess!". I hope he gets out of hospital soon to return home to tell Carmen all about his adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness! I'm so relieved for you and Quaid <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a relief to know your special boy is going to be okay!! Beautiful photo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad to read this! I do know what it's like to cry tears of relief.
    Prayers for a complete recovery to soundness, and a high five to your friends for being there for you .

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.