Buckle up folks, this is a bit of roller coaster. I debated about posting this but then decided to go ahead.
When I last posted the situation was that I was recovering from my rib injury and Ed from his heart surgery. Both of us have been healing slowly but well. My rib is barely a twinge. Ed's recovery is much slower- as we would expect when your chest is cracked open, heart cut into and all put back together. We're still 3 weeks off from him being able to lift anything more than 5 pounds or drive.
Needless to say it's been quiet. Then this week I caught a virus. Not Covid (as least based on the rapid test) but a nasty bug all the same. It knocked me on my ass. Ed has been trying to help as best he can. On Thursday morning he told me to stay in bed and he could feed the horses. I agreed because all he had to do was throw in their feed and some hay. I clean the stalls after breakfast. When he came in he told me that Quaid didn't seem interested in his feed, just his hay. I didn't think too much just a 'hmm'. Sometimes he likes to socialise before eating.
I had a moment of seeing Ed and I in our senior years as we had our morning coffee.
Ed : I'll clean the stalls
Me: You can't because of your heart
Ed: Well you can't because you're sick
Me: I can do it and I will.
Ed: You are so stubborn
Me: back at ya!
In the end we both went out. When we came into the barn, Ed looked at Quaid's feed bin he still hasn't eaten. I walked over and saw him standing there with his hind end shaking. Oh Oh! I thought he was colicking. Then we saw that he was holding his left fore leg up. I went in and lifted his foot. I was horrified to see that he had a block of wood with screw jammed in his hoof. His hind end was shaking from not being able to put his weight on it. The screw was stuck in tight so I had to hold his leg while Ed grabbed the drill and backed it out. He was so good about that. Blood came out. I grabbed a pad and some vet wrap and wrapped it up. Within minutes he went over to eat.
I left both horses in and called the vet. The receptionist was asking me where it was and I told her that it was between the point of the frog and his toe. This confused her 'there's a frog?' I tried to explain and then gave up and said- about an inch away from the edge of his toe.
The vet, not my regular vet but another horse vet, called me back right away and said she needed to come and do x-rays. Absolutely I said.
They came out within the hour. She looked at my wrapping job and complimented me on it. (side note, I am so glad that I took the Equine First Aid course a couple years ago. It totally came in handy).
After some checking him over and giving of some tranquillisers we put his front legs on blocks and took the x-rays. He was so good for that too.
The x-rays were not great. It looked like the screw might have hit the edge of the coffin bone or the lamina.
|The very front pointy part|
- 10 days stall rest
- 10 days antibiotics
- 7 days banamine
- 3 days of soaking
- then 7 days of dry poultice
- by Monday I can hand walk him.
|A spoonful of sugar should do the trick|
(feel free to add suggestions)
|Quaid; let me out. I'll behave, I promise|
|I'm going to obsessing on this for a while|