dancing horses

dancing horses

Monday, February 19, 2024

Chugging Along

 Here we are in Mid-February and there's a lot more action on the horse front. There's also a lot more snow. 

My driveway in under there somewhere

But you can feel the warmth in the sun and the days are growing longer. 

It might be cold but there's always baking

Carmen continues to amaze me with how well she has settled into her current life. She's definitely happy.

Sharing Marshall's hay even though hers is a few feet away


We've settled into a routine: I clean her stall and then tack her up to ride. She's been really good. Except for one day when the snow slid off the roof. That really scared her and she took off on me. But I got her back in a a few minutes and we had a good ride. She loves the mirrors. I see her watching herself as we go by and it's adorable. 

Mirror Mirror on the wall

I'm curious to see what she'll be like when we return home. But now I know that there's a mellow Carmen in there....

I've been getting regular updates on Quaid. He's doing really well. Nikki told me that he's the most prepared horse she's had in for training. Which makes me feel proud. 

Quaid's new BFF

Mr. Smarty Pants

I swear he looked like he grew when I saw him today.  The wind was howling and he was quite worried about the noise in the arena. But after some work on the ground he settled. It was neat to see that as soon as the tack when on he was all business. Tacking up Carmen can cause her to feel more stress but Quaid really seemed to settle with it on. Like he knew what was expected and was happy to work. When he was being ridden it was like he didn't hear the wind at all. 


His canter is getting a lot more balanced. 



I am so glad that I sent him there. I love how they work with him and how he's always challenged but not overwhelmed. It will be fun to bring him home and see where we can go from here. 




16 comments:

  1. Quaid doesn't look like a baby horse anymore. You are gonna have a great year with him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s what I said to Ed. He looks all grown up.

      Delete
  2. Ohh horses and the wonder of mirrors. Quaid looks great and very chill. Good timing to have access to indoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great timing. I’m enjoying the change.

      Delete
  3. what a wonderful update! sounds like both horses are having a super productive winter, you must be so excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really excited. I love how focused he gets in tack.

      Delete
  4. Good timing with the training and indoor boarding with all that snow! Carmen of course needs to admire her gorgeous self and Quaid is just a little super star!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to hear about how great your horses are doing! That is because you invest so much time and attention into their lives. You leave no holes.

    I'm jealous of that indoor arena at this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Like you, I try so hard to do right by them.

      Delete
  6. Oh man, the snow off the roof is the WORST. It's been doing it for days here. I'm completely confused as to how it's not finished yet. But anyway...
    Sounds like both horses are doing great! Quaid looks like a grown up! I love that he really understands the assignment once the tack goes on. He's such a smart boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think even a small snow slide sounds like half a mountain is coming down. I love that he settled when the tack went on.

      Delete
  7. It's so nice that both your kids have good places for them to get through the winter in. Progress is so hard when the weather doesn't cooperate and we're only dealing with rain down here! I'm excited to see how this year goes for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The snow...and those cookies...are so pretty! However, I am glad I don't have to deal with the snow. Your ponies look good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.