dancing horses

dancing horses

Monday, April 18, 2022

It's Not Where You Start

 My weekend away got me all inspired to ride more. I had some really good rides last week (in between the rain). Every good ride feels like a nice little check in my confidence column.  With the weather looking to be good for Saturday so I made plans for a morning lesson. Unfortunately I was unable to ride Wednesday and Thursday (god, will it ever stop raining?). Normally I would be worried about that but I wan't really. Julia's sister, Dominique came to watch and then to ride Irish after. 

Carmen was a bit tight getting ready but we worked through it with our groundwork. When I mounted I looked over and saw Irish sleeping in the paddock but his hind end was dangerously close to the fence. I always sit for a about 30-60 seconds before walking off. I just turned away with a plan to ask Dominique to shoo him away from the fence when he must have hit it. I say that because there was a big kerfuffle in the paddock behind us and Carmen spooked. 

screen grab from my pivo video

got her back and we turned around. Irish was looking around wildly, 
Irish: something bit me on my butt!'
Carmen: oh my god do you see it? 
Irish: no, it must be hiding around here! 

So of course Carmen was convinced that there was a monster lurking up by C. Normally I would have dismounted done more ground work and while having the sinking feeling that my lesson was going to be a disaster.  But I knew I had tools and so I decided to keep riding and work her through it. And she did okay. 

When Jane came we talked about our past rides and how today started. Jane had us just walking around and getting her to slow down. When Carmen gets tight she will walk with fast, short, choppy strides. I was to slow down the front end and ask the hind end to step under more. This has been hard for Carmen and I. She wants to go faster and I feel like that is better so we both think we're right. Turns out we're wrong. 

But the three of us worked together and things began to get better. 



The biggest issue with this is that when Carmen gets worried like this I get overly reliant on the inside hand. It's a very hard habit to break. Mostly because I'm not in control of it- the part of my brain that is responsible for self-preservation takes over and it does not really want to listen to other arguments. I tell you this so you don't feel the need to write to me about how I need to cut off my left hand- trust me I know. 
evidence of rogue left hand

We moved into trot and it was, predictably, not great. 
but pretty horse, right? 


Again, we were fast and choppy. Putting my leg on without capturing the front just leads to fastness, not throughness. Jane had us do this really cool exercise- shoulder in, straighten and then lengthen stride. It required some carefulness with my aids. Of course when I straightened and asked for lengthen I ended up pushing her on the forehand and faster. 


So then Jane told me to lengthen in 'slow motion' which really helped me to conceptualise it. Bit by bit we kept getting better and more and more in sync. Here's some video if you like. 

*Side note: I'm loving my Pivo for capturing every moment of my lesson. It's working really well and it's really helping me to see things. But going through it for clips and photos takes some time. 




I honestly would have been happy with ending it there but of course we did not. Jane had us come down to A and put us through our paces with canter. Jane wants the canter cue to be very subtle  and I'm tanking it. Carmen is confused by it and ends up going faster. But we work through it and we will get it. 

My dependence on my inside hand really reared it's ugly head here. I just couldn't let it go. Even when I thought I was, when I look at the video I see that I am not. Sigh. Why is riding so hard? Anyway, we were going up and down and then Jane said 'put both reins in your outside hand'.  And without even hesitating I did.  

And it was like a light went off. Without my inside hand I could focus on using my seat and leg to direct where we went. And Carmen instantly went 'THANK YOU'.  After a few circles and we came back to trot I was beaming. Then I could keep the hand but Jane said every time you think she's not listening to the inside rein soften it'. 

If you want to see a video here you go: 

We ended with some really positive canter work. It was the most relaxed and easy. I can see I'm not as tense or bouncy on her. So it's progress. 

I know I've said this before, but I really am enjoying my lessons. I am being pushed and pushed and sometimes I wonder if I even know how to ride at all. But I kept progressing.  I end up exhausted and wanting more at the same time.  

I love this photo and comparing it to the beginning of the lesson:

I could look a this photo all day


It's not where you start, it's where you finish that matters. 







27 comments:

  1. ♥️♥️♥️ I love everything about this. My lessons make me feel the same way but I'm an addict and I need more 😂 that one handed canter video at the end - she is so relaxed and loose and swingy and you both look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had an endless budget but alas, I do not. :)

      Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  2. love that last photo!! also love the "riding with one hand" idea... it's so crazy how something like that can completely change our feel in the saddle....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was gobsmacked by how much it changed everything. I am playing with it on my own and it's pretty cool.

      Delete
  3. Looking gorgeous! even the early spook is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last photo is lovely! But it's amazing how we all have something, especially when we're nervous/stressed/uncomfortable. Your left hand, I jam my heels down (do you know how hard it is NOT to press your heels down? just to let them be? Think left hand but your heels... UGH. It's mostly my... left heel. )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, your left heel and my left hand! It's hard to change these habits.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished a clinic here with a great clinician - Joel Connor. Every last one of us in the group agreed that, every time we go to one of his clinics, we feel like maybe we don't know how to ride at all, since there is always so much to learn. To his credit, Joel always assures us that we're doing great and making visible progress. So, if it helps, you're not alone. You're part of a group of women who want to be great riders, but who all struggle with the same feelings - there's so much to learn, "I'm not worthy", there's never enough time.... But we all keep at it - trying and learning and eeking out a few minutes here or there to spend with our horses. The thing is, we can't give up. We have to keep at it. We may never make it to the highest level of our chosen discipline, but as long as we stay on the path of learning, we will continue to reap the rewards. You know - the whole "Life's a journey, not a destination." thing. But it's true. And besides, how much less would life be without the smell of horse? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are very wise. I looked up Joel Connor and he looks interesting! I think if I stopped wanting to learn I would lose interest.

      Delete
    2. Joel is definitely interesting. The best "label" we've been able to put on his style is "Bridle Horsemanship". A way of creating a finished western horse that can do "all the things." I've learned sooo much. I've gotten by this far on just "cowboying through" and sheer nerve. But I'm getting too old to get away with that, so I'm trying to bring my last youngster, Puffin, up properly. So far, so good. :)

      Delete
  7. I like the part in western riding where you can drop the left rein and go. I'm hoping Tweed comes back like that because the two hand, plough reining I've been doing is very distracting. It does make you forget the seat and legs. As a trail rider, I haven't had enough practice. So, when I'm plough reining I feel the same way--do I even know how to ride?!? I bounce around, and it's just a big mess. My trainer is yelling lift that rein, hold that rein...blah! I prefer to get to the part where you feel like you're flying. haha. Looks like you were flying a bit yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were definitely flying. One of my main goals is to ride bridleless. This seems like a good way to start.

      Delete
    2. I was working on bridleless with Cowboy, but only got to dropping both reins and riding bareback. I always had the reins available in case something went wrong, but he was pretty good at it.

      Delete
  8. Dang that inside hand! My instructor today asked what happened to it and I said it went rogue. She suggested I punish it haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great lesson! And what a difference from even just last year, deciding to ride through the angst in the beginning. You two are such a great pair these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. Before I would have been worried that the hamster would fall completely off the wheel. But staying on helps Carmen and I to realize that we'll be okay.

      Delete
  10. I was literally thinking, when you wrote about your dependence on your inside rein "ride one handed!" So cool that it's something that helped you. Sometimes we get stuck on our "crutches" and don't know the freedom of letting go of them.
    I too despair sometimes of ever being a good rider, there always seems to be so many more levels to achieve and not enough time in this life to get there. But we plug away at it for the love of the journey and the love of the horse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. I got really stuck on the inside rein because Carmen was always looking out of the ring and then spooking/bolting so wanted to keep her eyes in. Like everything it becomes too much and no longer helpful.

      Delete
  11. I feel your left hand-itis! Thete's got to be a dressage test/jumper round that only goes to the right for us people, right?
    Regarding the lengthened trot- I have a bad habit of throwing everything at my horse saying gogogo, which, unsurprisingly, makes my horse throw up their head and go wtf and have a rushed, unbalanced trot. One instructor told me to just make each stride one inch bigger, and that has me slow myself down and not throw everything at the horse. Well, on my third or fourth attempt after the first couple suck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that idea of thinking of one inch at a time. I am going to steal it!

      Delete
  12. Those inside rein struggles are real. I remember when I first started riding with Coach J in late 2017 I was literally not allowed to touch my inside rein -- I had to put one hand behind my back -- for about six weeks. And I had to spend most of the time doing turn on the forehand or shoulder-in. It was just SO DIFFICULT, but it eventually paid off!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.