dancing horses

dancing horses

Sunday, April 3, 2022

A Fool for April

Well it's April and signs of spring are starting to show. Every morning when I go out to feed the horses the birds are singing with abandon. That and having actual light outside warms my heart. 

Which is good because spring is a fickle creature in Canada. 


I have so many layers out that it's ridiculous. Same for the horses. I am going between them being naked, to a rain sheet or a light blanket. While I'm complaining, I am still feeling better. I am getting more opportunities to ride. 

Some of them even when I don't think it's going to happen. Julia and I made plans to ride one day but when she arrived it was pouring. So we brought the horses in and gave them a great grooming. Just as we were done the rain stopped so we quickly threw tack on and managed a 30 minute ride. 

Yesterday it wasn't raining but it was brutally windy. I wasn't sure we'd be able to ride (or, frankly, even if I wanted to). That morning I did a bunch of work up in the ring- levelling out some low spots and then dragging it a couple times. I have some sand on order and will work that in when it arrives. 

I love my ring. The sun looks nice but that wind was wild

In the end neither Julia nor I chickened out so we got ready. Irish and Carmen were not super impressed with this development. I lunged her first but she didn't seem to be too silly. When I get on I don't coddle her anymore. By that I mean that we walk around the ring and do our warm up. If she tightens and gets spooky I put my leg on and keep the outside rein. It's amazing how much that works to get her settled. Especially since I don't give up. With the birds flitting about the trees beside the ring Carmen can get a bit distracted.  

Anyway, we're trotting around warming up heading down the long side towards the mounting block (coming at us on the left side of the photo) when Carmen slammed on the brakes, deked left and leapt across the middle of the ring. As she launched I put my leg on and started laughing. We landed, I put my leg on and we trotted around in a circle while I giggled away. 
'oh Carmen, so many feelings'.  We circled a few times and then carried on with the ride. Before, this move would have unseated me and I would have been frightened about coming off.  That would make me react defensively and piss me off. Instead I'm working on embracing Carmen in all her moods. Having my seat improved with lessons also helps quite a bit. Anyway, after that we carried on with just a couple little glitches. 

Carmen: you're not fun anymore


Today was a sweet April day: cool in the morning but the sun was shining and the wind was light. Perfect for riding. I am wanting to get away from having to lunge at the start of every ride so today I didn't put on her halter once tacked up. Instead, we did a little ground work with the bridle on and I hopped on.  There were a few corners causing some concern but nothing major. I've been working on her understanding the turn on the forehand and then moving that into our work on a circle. I think we're getting it (I'll find out for sure in our next lesson).

 I'm finding my consistency of expectations and not reacting is making her happier in our work. Our discussions are shorter and she's enjoying time with me. We worked for a solid 35 minutes and then I asked her to go to the gate so I could open it. Clearly she had not forgotten that work. Then Julia and I and the ponies headed for our first hack of the year. 

my version of Sunday church


It was awesome. I started with a rather short rein but by the end we were on a long rein (except for when we headed home. I'm not stupid). Carmen likes to stop a few times and just relax. I let her because I think it's sweet. And because I also like to stop and just breathe in the woods so I get it. 

It was a beautiful day. Which is good because we're expecting snow tomorrow. I'm hoping that the snow won't stick around because I have some plans for Carmen and I next weekend.


14 comments:

  1. That must have felt great to ride out, and it sounds like Carmen was golden for a first ride near home. A lot of times those are the hardest because they can see their barn and know how to get back to it. haha. Interesting that you didn't lunge her, but worked on connection instead. This is a concept I evolved to with my horses, as well, but will be put to the test when Tweed returns, since he is young and full of energy. I plan to definitely put the emphasis on connection. That's what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Carmen definitely noticed that I changed it up but was willing to give it a try. While I can tire her it doesn’t necessarily make her better because her agitation is usually mental. I’m not going to stop altogether if she looks like she needs to move but I’m not going to do it every time.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Me too. I was thinking of you while I was out. I envy you your trails

      Delete
  3. Spring in Canada looks a lot like spring in Ohio! Carmen is looking good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured that there are a lot of similarities

      Delete
  4. What a lovely hack <3 so excited spring is springing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you're season is starting off so great! Must have felt so nice to get out on the trail too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that you were laughing while Carmen did her tricks. Good on you for not getting unseated and bracing!
    I can't wait to hit the trails.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've been dealing with the same weather here too. Eventually, I think it should level out.

    I like "Sunday Church"! That's the best way to enjoy the day.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it levels out. Today was a snow/rain/ sleet.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.