dancing horses

dancing horses

Saturday, May 29, 2021

Experimentation Results

 Research in 'real world' is rarely perfect. There are too many variables and some are uncontrollable. This is particularly true with horses. 


In my last post I had a lesson in my spanish saddle. I wanted to ride in my dressage saddle for the my lesson the next day because I was find that the both Carmen and I were better in the Spanish one. I wanted Shanea's opinion as to whether the dressage saddle was bugging her. If so then I would get the saddle fitter out. In my brain I was having this conversation with Ed: 

Me: well you see dear the new saddle I bought has revealed that I need a new dressage saddle as well. 

Ed: so you're saying that you bought a saddle and now, because of that you have to buy another saddle? 

Me: pretty much. 

Ed: *sigh*

As you know the lesson had been awesome and I was excited for Tuesday. However, the weather was very different. The wind was fierce (steady at 40 km/hr with gusts of 60). My lesson was after work and I had hopes that the wind would settle a bit. 

It did not. 

truth


I got Carmen ready and, honestly, she was lit. I lunged her and went through our groundwork. She was really good but clearly ready to fly. When Shanea arrived I told her that I was not comfortable riding. Truth be told, I would never choose to ride in wind like this. It simply is not enjoyable. So we decided that Shanea would ride. That way we could evaluate the saddle and school Carmen. 

I was glad that Shanea rode. Carmen was super tight but she was able to work her through it and get her to relax. 

you can see Carmen scooting away,
but Shanea had her back in two strides 

It quickly became evident that the saddle was not bugging Carmen at all.  The wind, yes. The blowing grass, definitely. The saddle, nope.  

As they worked Carmen became supple and more relaxed. Not completely. I still stand by my decision to not ride. But you know when you watch your coach ride your horse and you think 'damn my horse is fancy!' ? That was the feeling I had. 

In talking after we realized that Carmen goes better in the spanish saddle because I feel more secure and it helps me to sit in a more upright position. Shanea's advice: keep riding in the spanish and then have short rides in the dressage to get carryover. 

To be honest, since there are no dressage events this year (again!) I am in not hurry to get mastery in the dressage saddle. In the meantime I will keep playing. 



Also, when does it ever happen that it turns out that you don't need a new saddle? 


26 comments:

  1. Maybe it's a good thing that there are no shows for you this year; it gives you time to work on all these new discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s true. Mostly,though, I miss hanging out with my horse friends.

      Delete
  2. Have you heard of a Canadian Tuxedo? I recently watched a YouTube video, "Canadians react to all Canada references in How I Met Your Mother." I think you would understand the jokes - sometimes they would just crack up and I had no idea why. Robin's pride in the Great White North is my favorite part of that show.

    One of my favorite interactions: Robin, "I didn't just get off a boat." Lily, "Ha, you said 'a boat'. Oh wait, that was actually correct."

    She called Vancouver "the couv" which I don't think anyone says. Also, she is always acting immune to cold weather but if she was really from Vancouver she wouldn't have truly cold weather: )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of the Canadian Tuxedo. 😁 I also enjoyed that show a lot.

      Delete
  3. Your coach sounds very wise(and like she is a good rider!). Sounds like a plan to keep riding mostly in the Spanish...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The weather has been absolutely nuts here too…. Sheesh. Sounds like a great choice to have Shanea in the irons for the ride!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today it was actually 8 degrees. It's ridiculous!

      Delete
  5. Posting on the good and the 'needs improvement' here on your blog must help you figure out each lesson. As always, I admire your determination and Carmen is such a joy to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! I’m sure your husband is happy! That happened to me recently while looking for a good saddle for T, and I found an old one in my tack room that was just perfect. Same feeling. Whoa! I’m not used to NOT spending more money!

    Yes, I also know the feeling of watching a trainer ride my horse and making it look easy. All. Too. Well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well he would be happy if he knew. I figured I would wait for confirmation first. By putting him on a 'need to know' basis I saved him grief he didn't even know about.

      I think we all know that feeling of a trainer riding your horse. But it would be foolish to pay someone who can't do better than us.

      Delete
  7. I think it was a good call to do the training ride in those conditions. And YAY for not needing a new saddle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am pleased with following my gut

      Delete
  8. That Spanish saddle looks so delightfully comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. I was surprised by how much I like riding in it.

      Delete
  9. Yay for not needing a new saddle! I LOVE watching other people ride my horses. If I had millions of spare dollars, I'd be one of those people buying nice horses for talented up and coming riders to compete on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fancy!

    haha Saddles, bridles, brushes! Leueen posted about her brushes and now I am convinced I need a set for Lito. And. I literally just put together a new hackamore bridle last night and am awaiting a new bit in the mail. Still searching for the right getup for Lito.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, it's fun to get new things. And since none of my money is going to shows....

      Delete
  11. Glad you don’t need a new saddle and can use the ones you have. I had a few saddles between me and my daughter to try with Rosie. She likes the one we use for Blue but I prefer the one I used with Dusty, luckily they both seem to fit her! I like watching a trainer ride my horse too. They always seem to do so much better than me😏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have options to choose from. It makes sense that they would do better. And it helps me to see things.

      Delete
  12. I opt out of rides in howling winds, too, except for the quietest and sweetest horses! It's so fun sometimes to watch your coach ride and see all that latent fanciness put on display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth is I don't like the wind howling either so I start with a fair bit of tension.

      Delete
  13. haha at least the good thing is not needing to saddle shop!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.