dancing horses

dancing horses

Monday, May 24, 2021

All That and a Bag of Chips

 When we went into another lockdown all riding lessons were prohibited as well. To be honest it peeved me of because the sports that were allowed and those that weren't seemed arbitrary. For comparison, my husband was able to golf with 4 other people but I couldn't have Shanea come and teach me in my outside ring. I also understand that it's difficult for people to understand and I also know that some would flout the rules.  I did write to our provincial sports association with my concerns. Others must have done the same because they decided that the rules could be changed. We could have lessons as long as we met certain conditions (6 feet apart, masks when we can't, outside if possible, private lessons only). 

I was super excited. My rides at home have been going really well but it's always good to get support. I actually arranged for 2 lessons- one today and one tomorrow. Sunday was a beautiful day- sunny and warm. Late afternoon the weather turned suddenly with heavy wind and rain. This morning it was sunny again but with a cold north wind. Carmen was agitated by this sudden change (25 to 2 degrees in 12 hours is a big switch). I didn't want to have to spend an hour before the lesson getting her to settle so I lunged her early in the morning. She got to move out and we played with liberty and groundwork. 

Totally biased but I think she's pretty

I tacked up with my spanish saddle because I had a specific question I wanted Shanea to help me answer. I've been riding in it for a while and it feels to me that she goes better and I ride better in it. I thought to get Shanea's idea on it today and then ride in my dressage saddle tomorrow to see if there's a difference. If so then I need to have our dressage saddle evaluated. 

Shanea noted that I sit up straighter in the spanish saddle and am more balanced. As for the lesson it was exciting for Camren and I. Probably not for others. There are definite improvements in our transitions and contact. Carmen was nice and soft in the contact despite having worries about some highly suspicious bushes. 

her neck is a little short here but she's soft and light

I need to make sure that I don't bail part way through a transition and let her dump on her forehand. After our warm up our lesson was largely on a 20 metre circle. I like how we keep it focussed and simple. Carmen seems to enjoy it too. What was nice in this lesson is that, while we were far from perfect, she was listening to my corrections.  Poor Shanea must be getting tired of telling me to ride the hind end but I promise that I'm trying. Our canter work is coming along really nicely. I loved this walk-canter transition. 


I am better able to sit and relax into the canter and then am more effective in giving aids. Her right lead has always been trickier but look at this hind leg reaching under. 
After the right lead canter we called it a day. Carmen was getting tired and it didn't feel right to push her.
Especially since we're going to do this all again tomorrow. I'm curious to see how things go in my 'regular' saddle.  

from my equilab app- proof that I don't just ride the rail
Although that left loop into the brush is an error in the app-
we really didn't jump up the band and climb the trees.  



25 comments:

  1. Great idea to do back to back lessons in each saddle to hear Shanea's thoughts! I still love how much you love your fancy Spanish saddle 🥰🥰🥰 truly fits Queen Carmen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at how much I like it. It just feels so comfortable and easy to feel her back.

      Delete
  2. So glad they used a little common sense (and science) and lifted that restriction. That’s quite a pattern you recorded!! No ground left untouched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a firm believer in science and common sense. I struggle with blanket rules but that is me. :)

      Delete
  3. ooohhh ... im excited to hear the before/after comparison. I had a custom saddle made for my andi and the saddle maker said his back was straighter than most other breeds, which explains why no off the rack western saddle ever fit. Maybe its a breed thing, and the Spanish saddle has the right curves in the right places?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried a few western saddles and they did not work for her. What you said makes sense. I think they have big shoulders too which makes a difference. Given that these saddles were designed specific for Iberian breeds it makes sense that they fit better.

      Delete
  4. Just out of curiosity - would it be possible to compete in the Spanish saddle? You really do look great in it, might be easier going that route than trying to adjust a different saddle. Regardless - good for you for writing about the arbitrary rules. That’s been one of the most difficult aspects of this pandemic - on one hand understanding the spirit of the rules and complying, but on the other hand feeling like the rules are unevenly applied…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did check the rules and it specifically states: "Australian, Baroque, Endurance, McClellan, Spanish, Stock or Western saddles
      are not permitted nor are modified versions of these saddles." Which is too bad given the history of baroque breeds in the development of dressage.

      Delete
    2. you would have to switch to working equitation:-)

      Delete
    3. I have the same problem. Gracie also goes better in our Spanish saddle, and I also ride better in it. They are made to put the rider in such a lovely position! I was hoping I could get away with using it in Gaited dressage, but my options are a regular dressage saddle, or an Australian or Western saddle if I go for Western gaited dressage. I'm still trying to figure out if maybe I could pass off the Alta as a hornless Australian saddle...

      Delete
    4. so much shortsightedness!!! I would love to do working equitation with her. I am sure we would both love it. I just need it to open again here. :)

      Delete
  5. I honestly wish more saddles were legal in dressage. I ride so much better in a treeless saddle than any dressage saddle I've ever sat in. Also, that walk-canter transition was gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I understand at the national level but for the shows I do I don't see why it matters.

      Delete
  6. I think the rules are made by short sighted bullies. I'm glad they allowed riding lessons.
    You do look good and well balanced in that saddle. It's too bad about those rules about the saddles! Rules.... not always made in the best interests of horse or human.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The older I get the more rebellious I am. :)

      Delete
  7. I think if I had a Spanish horse, I would have Spanish tack. I'm sad that rules prohibit these saddles. I remember having a burning desire to do a Trail class with Baasha. But I didn't own a Western saddle, only Dressage. Simply cuz of that, I was excluded from the class. Shouldn't a class as basic as trail allow various tack choices? *sigh* (Also, my equitation class allowed my dressage saddle. Why?)

    Many rules change over time, but in your situation, it might be a while. Or, there will be a tack revolution and you'll be part of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is too bad. Here I think you can compete in whatever saddle you want. But I could be wrong. Maybe I will start a tack revolution!

      Delete
  8. You look really great in the Spanish saddle. I'd think that as long as you are safe and effective the saddle style shouldn't be an issue but I'm sure someone somewhere abused it and won or something and someone complained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I like how you think. I suspect that there was a desire for uniformity and that's how saddles were decided. :)

      Delete
  9. I am finally all caught up on your posts, you and Carmen look great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carmen's dapples are divine right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice use of the arena! And, good on you for standing up. I am glad you could lesson. A lot of this stuff does not make sense. Yay riding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks. I laughed when I saw the picture.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.