dancing horses

dancing horses

Saturday, April 25, 2020

The Next Best Thing: Lesson Recap

Before you think that I am recklessly disregarding the measures imposed by my province to control the spread of the pandemic, just hang on.

My last riding lesson was way back in February and I have been really missing them. Also, poor Shanea, her income stopped suddenly and, while she wasn't complaining, I'm sure that hurt.

With the current Covid-19 measures it wasn't looking good for having one anytime soon. As you know I am nothing if not persistent. If I can't get what I want one way I will try another.

Which led me to figuring out how to do a virtual lesson with Shanea. I spend most of my work day on Zoom so why not do it for fun?

 It started with me sourcing a blue tooth ear phones. After a bit I settled on Bose Wireless earphones.

I was worried about losing one and so I liked the one with the 'idiot string'. I have a great talent for losing one glove, socks and other things. So it's extremely likely that I would lose one and these things are not cheap. I am pleased with my choice- they stay in my ears well and the sound quality is excellent.

I set up my phone by tying it's car holder to a post in my ring. We did a tech check friday to see where the signal dropped with my blue tooth ear phones. Based on that I set up pylons to indicate where we lost the audio signal and where she wouldn't be able to see me. I was superimpressed- the range of the earphones was about 40 metres.

This morning I went up early to warm up and the Shanea called me on FaceTime. We had a boggle at first and I had to dismount to figure it out. Carmen was not so thrilled when I got back on.
Carmen: I thought we were done. It felt like we ended in a good place
Me:  It was like 15 minutes
Carmen: Yes, see perfect amount of time. *sigh* fine
Carmen: no one appreciates what I put up with

I have to say that this was a great way to get a lesson. (I don't have media from the lesson so you will have to make do with old photos to break up the text wall.) Shanea was able to see what we were doing and work on improving us.

For whatever reason, Carmen was freaked out about the gate (of all things) and wanted to give it a wide berth. But other than that we had a really good lesson. I haven't fallen into too many bad habits.

Carmen was throwing her haunches in a fair amount and me pulling on the inside rein is not the solution (go figure). Shanea had me take up the outside rein and slide my inside leg back to put her haunches back out. We did a lot shoulder fore and that really helped with the straightness.

We worked on walk-canter-walk transitions. Despite me saying that she tends to barge through them she was actually pretty good. What else has improved is her reaching over her back and stretching. So go me.

Half-way through the ride the call disconnected and I had to stop by the phone to call her back. Carmen just let out a big sigh.
Carmen: I don't know what you're doing but whatever. 

We finished with a lovely trot of her over the back and a perfect trot-halt.
Virtual dressage

I was excited to be back at lessons and Shanea said that it worked well for her too. We're going to do another one next weekend.



16 comments:

  1. Glad you got a good lesson in! The current circumstances are sure bringing out the creativity in people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT does make us more creative. It also make me eat more snacks. Lol

      Delete
  2. Yay! I'm glad that worked well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay that’s awesome!! I can’t wait to get back to lessons, tho probably both Charlie and I will need some serious fitness and conditioning first LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. It’s hard to stay fit while staying home.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you were able to make virtual lessons work, that's awesome for both you and Shanea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shanea is always so willing to try new things. Which is great.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Honestly, I am terrible at keeping track of my stuff.

      Delete
  6. This is so cool! Love the idea of setting up markers so you know your boundaries with the technology. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. It helped me in planning turns/circles etc.

      Delete
  7. Where there's a will there's a way! Good for you for figuring out how to do a Zoom lesson. Sounds like it went pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom would have used the word 'relentless' when it came to getting what I wanted. :) Hubby may see it the same way but, hey, it's all in a noble pursuit, right?

      Delete
  8. This is fantastic! I'm so glad it mostly worked out. Nice to know you're moving along as you'd hoped!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy too. I'm going to try it again this weekend.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.