dancing horses

dancing horses

Friday, July 3, 2026

Stepping Up

 With Carmen on rest I was able to transfer all my focus to Quaid.  It's been a while since I've had just one horse to ride so I didn't want to over do it. Well, that's not true, I know I would want to over do it so I needed to make sure I didn't.  

Quaid: I thought I was resting on my laurels? 

What's interesting is how he's responding well to the added pressure.  And by pressure, I don't mean that it's heavy but that I'm (finally) treating him as a grown up horse and expecting him to follow my lead. Since the show I noticed a huge boost in my confidence and it's carrying over into how I'm riding. 

square halt! 


I'm not avoiding things because I worry how he'll respond. It doesn't mean that I'm attacking it either. Instead I try to ask 'what does he need from me right now?' and do that thing.   I can feel that he's noticing the change but he's not upset by it. 

I also was lucky and was able to have two lessons with Jane a few days apart. She came with her horse to practice her freestyle in my ring and I snagged her for an extra lesson.  In both Quaid and I had to most balanced canters we've had.  



He gets a little excited and then starts to anticipate (like every horse on the planet).  I had this aha moment when Jane was saying 'don't ask him to canter now' 

Me: I'm not asking him to do this! 

Jane:  yes but are you telling him what you want him to DO? 

Me:  .....well crap. 

I mean if I expect him to step up I need to make sure that I do the same. 

getting all the pats



14 comments:

  1. It’s so funny how similar our horses (or maybe all horses?) are… I am constantly trying to work on more clearly / proactively always telling doozy what I want….

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like that parenting concept where you don't tell the kid what not to do, you tell the kid what TO do (not "don't run," but "please walk.") Not "don't canter," but "please trot like this!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’ve come a long with Quaid. Thinking of him as a grownup horse seems obvious, but I know from experience it’s hard to do. One day it just happens and it’s probably because he’s starting to feel like a partner with you. The fact that he’s anticipating what you want is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like what Fern said. One say I was riding Gyssie with some friends who wanted to canter, and I dont like to canter because the motion is bad for my back ( bone on bone vertibrae) so I asked her to long trot; she would think about breaking into a canter but listened to me so well; and her extended trot was A-mazing! She pretty much was a bit faster than the other horses. One of my most memorable rides on her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm... that's something to think about! I'm going to use that "are you telling him what you want him to do?" with a few people - and I suspect it might be mind-blowing to them!
    I remember reading something about teaching humans, and that the brain doesn't get a clear picture when you say "don't do x" (ie. don't round your shoulders), and instead use "do" phrasing (bring your shoulders back and down, keeping your chest wide). Maybe we need to think the same way for our horses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m going to keep reminding myself of this when I ride.

      Delete
  6. It's amazing how well horses respond when we simply expect them to follow our lead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a good boy! That square halt is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this new confidence you're having with Quaid! And I like the intentional direction, that makes a lot of sense.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.