dancing horses

dancing horses

Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Ready, Maybe, But it's Fine

 

the fresh mowed fields look so pretty

All of a sudden it's June and this weekend we are heading to our first show.  Normally I'm freaking out about not being ready.   But this year I find myself feeling more relaxed about it all. 

not Quaid level relaxed, but still....


Which makes me start thinking about what I mean by 'ready'. I used to think it meant that I could go and score well.  

Now I think about it more about my horse being able to go, understand the job and be able (emotionally and physically) to do it. This makes me think about any horse activity (show, clinic, etc) differently. 


Carmen has been really good since I had to draw a line for her. This week Ed was mowing the fields and it was breezy which made her quite spicy. This made our ride a lot harder and by the end we were both sweaty. I jumped off by the end of the ring near where Ed was mowing. I always take her bridle off so she's free to go. She never does leave. 
Carmen: I don't like it down here. The leaves are blowing and the male servant is making noise in my paddock
Me:  You can go if you like. 
Carmen: but I know you have carrots in your pockets. 
Me:  yes I do but you have choices. 
Carmen:  damnit! 

(in the end she stayed and enjoyed the carrots). 

Remember when I was trying to decide if I should take Quaid in a work/trot test. After chatting with Jane I decided to not do that. He's just not quite ready to be judged (the judge might miss his genius). But I did reserve a warm up spot in the who ring. So my plan is to take him to the show and ride him (or not) in the arm up ring and show ring so he can have the full experience minus the satin. It gives me the ability to curate his experience to keep it positive. It's a good dry run for me to practice showing 2 horses. At my age, what am thinking?  However, I am in the best shape I've been in in years. 

He's looking so good these days

Carmen is definitely ready. She understands her job, I understand how to support her and be clear in my aids.  Is our medium trot/canter confirmed? Well no. How about our Shoulder in/haunches in? Those are pretty good. 

Will we be able to do this in the moment? Well that is the unknown piece. There is always potential that things will go off the rails (like with the pigeon of doom). I am not too worried. Can things go wrong? Sure. Things can go right too. I also get to hang out with a great bunch of people so it's more like a fun weekend away with ponies. 


Don't wish us luck but wish us a good experience. 

18 comments:

  1. I wish you a happy calm Carmen and an attentive calm Quaid. And- have fun! Don't forget to breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unless it's in-hand, I've always taken my young horses for several non-competitive off-property adventures before dipping a toe into showing. I think you've chosen a fantastic experience for Mr. Handsome! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took him last year to hang out. So this feels like a good progression.

      Delete
  3. Quaid is looking so grown up!! I hope you all have a good positive show! My metric is totally shifted as well, see my being ecstatic about finishing with a 20 on XC but a happy, more confident horse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that there are far more like that now. It’s wonderful.

      Delete
  4. So exciting Quaid gets to come along too. Love the idea of just booking the space for him and setting it up to be positive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great time! And take lots of pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It’s going to go great, and you’ll have a lot of support there for you and the horses. You’re going in with the right attitude, and making it about the horses first and foremost, not the ribbons. How can you go wrong with such a positive outlook?

    Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Safe travels to you today as well.

      Delete
  7. What a great mindset to be facing a show with! It will be a great learning experience for Quaid and hopefully you and Carmen are safe from pigeons this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Every time something has her disturbed I tell her that we can use it to practice our pigeon bravery.

      Delete
  8. This is the best mindset, and you are setting yourself up for a super fun weekend! Enjoy! I can't wait to read all about it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.