dancing horses

dancing horses

Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Spring Check Up

 I have returned from a truly wonderful vacation. We started in Zurich and ended in Paris. 



As we travelled we made sure to find time to enjoy our time instead of rushing to see all the things.  I enjoyed it immensely. In Paris we headed off the tour and just went out to get lost. I loved it. I also found a tack shop in Paris and bought myself a lovely little purse. 

treating myself

After 12 wonderful days we were both happy to come home. I definitely missed my animals. Everyone seemed to be doing well without us.  I was ready to start enjoying my new freedom. 

must be official


I lunged Carmen for a couple days and then began riding. It felt good to get back in the saddle. I know it wasn't that long but it felt long. I even booked a lesson for Easter Monday. It was mostly walking but it was great to get started off on the right hoof. 
Carmen: how do I get in on this retirement thing?

You are probably thinking 'that's great Teresa, but how is Quaid?!'

Well, wonder no more. He's doing really well. He's out in the big paddock and is perfectly sound. While I was away I sent photos that Julia sent me to the vet college and they were advising. 

Today I had a vet appointment book for the spring check up and vaccinations. My farrier came to the appointment as well so that he and my vet could collaborate. Quaid was excellent for everything but wasn't too keen on us sedating him to take x-rays. I didn't have to do the x-rays but the vet recommended them and I felt it was good to have a look. The images were really good and showed everything healing as they should. 

The plan is to keep the medical plate in place for at least one more shoeing cycle. After that it will either go on or be replaced with a leather pad. Quaid was good for the shoeing (although he was still slightly drunk). Other than his feet he's in good shape. He's in a growth spurt and getting a little rib so I have increased his feed. The vet and I both agree that he's looking too immature to start under saddle, despite him turning 3 the end of May. I am fine to wait. I will re-evaluate later in the summer/fall.  But there's a lot we can do while we wait for his body to develop. 

drugged horse and his emotional support chicken

I am happy that everyone is doing well. Now to just stay on this trajectory. 


26 comments:

  1. Welcome back. That sounds like a dream vacation. Looks like your herd didn’t miss a beat and Quaid is doing great. You couldn’t ask for more! Not a bad idea to wait on training. He’s so smart that it will go fast when he finally starts. And time really does fly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much we can do before sitting n him. I really don’t mind.

      Delete
  2. Looks like an amazing trip. Glad you're back in the saddle and Quaid is doing so well. Love the emotional support chicken...everybody needs one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She’s the best chicken. Our new girls are pretty feral. I miss my friendly chicks

      Delete
  3. Welcome home! Travel adventures are the best, but time with our animals is priceless. And everyone needs an emotional support chicken. 😂

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing like a great vacation and then coming home to an "all is well" !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a wonderful vacation! So glad to hear Quaid is doing well and that you and Carmen are getting back to business. Enjoy your freedom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I’m looking forward to freedom

      Delete
  6. So glad you had such a wonderful, much-needed break, but still very happy to see two of my favourite Spanish horses in my blog feed again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That vacation looked incredible, and so well-deserved to have that much relaxation after retiring and after the events of yours and Ed's last few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good vacation. It definitely recharged the batteries

      Delete
  8. Such a wonderful update! Congrats on retirement, and such a perfect way to kick it off with travel and healthy ponies!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It’s nice to see things trending in the right direction.

      Delete
  9. So happy to hear. Happy retirement and homecoming! So much to look ahead to!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good vacations are always so renewing! I waited to start my Azteca under saddle until he was midway through his 4th year. He just was so gawky and immature looking - it didn't seem right. I saddle broke him, ground drove him, and did all the other things - basically got him to the point of being ready to take a rider, but waited until he looked mature enough. Really, he didn't look like a legit grown up horse until he was almost 7!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you had a wonderful trip and that Quaids recovery is going well! ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  12. So happy Quaid is recovering well. Loved seeing all your vacation photos on Instagram, so beautiful there and sounds like the best trip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am SO happy to hear about Quaid. I love seeing those vaca pics, what beautiful scenery!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.