dancing horses

dancing horses

Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Strike a Pose

Last month Julia, who rides Irish, was married. I jokingly told her that she should have wedding photos with Irish. I guess that got her thinking because she asked if she could bring a photographer to get some photos of Irish and her and  I could get some as well. I thought it was a great idea so she made all the arrangements and we did it yesterday. 

Who called this meeting anyway? 

The weather cooperated and it was a gorgeous October day. To paraphrase Leah "I'm glad I live in a place where there are Octobers". Julia came over early so we could get the horses all shined up. Carmen needed a bath and Irish just needed a rinse. I hummed and hawed about Quaid and then decided to do it since I had help. It was, as far as I know, his first bath. Not that you could tell by his complete non-reaction. Of course he'd been hosed off often over the summer and that is usually the biggest hurdle. But he didn't care about me scrubbing his white socks or slapping a soapy wash mitt on him. I kept him out in the sun to dry because I knew he'd want to roll. I was not prepared when he suddenly dropped and rolled on the grass. I had to laugh. I let him dry  more and then put him in the stall while we did more prep work. His winter coat is coming in really well and he took a long time. Of course he rolled again. 

I'm so glad he's not gray

We turned them out until the photographer arrived late in the afternoon. Before then I suggested a fun photo of Julia and Jim with one of my chickens. I have to say it's one of my favourite photos now. 

Like every couple should have a wedding photo like this

Don't worry- Guinness was not left out
Guinness: I don't know why I wasn't at the wedding, 
these things need security

I then changed into clothes that I wouldn't mind being photographed in. I had bought some Dubarry boots in Ireland (just closed my eyes and handed over the plastic) so figured that those should be worn. (I don't regret buying these boots but that's a different post.)

When the photographer arrived we walked out to the field with the horses. Our thoughts were that Julia and Jim could pose with Irish and I'd keep the others away. Julia walking out in her dress caused some fun reactions. 

Irish: what on earth are you wearing? I don't like how it flutters. 

Carmen:  uh oh a dress. I knew something was up. Is this another musical ride? 

Quaid:  oooh people. I LOVE people. Let me check out your dress. It tastes funny. Look at that bag. Let me check it out. 

Irish: back off, this is my photo shoot
Quaid: but I had a bath and am so much cuter

Quaid was all over the photographer. He wanted to play with her camera and tried to grab her bag with her extra lenses. It was cute and nerve wracking. 

Quaid: I just want to look, c'mon let go!
I won't ruin anything, promise

We ended up taking Irish out to get some photos and he was so cooperative. Even when Jim boosted Julia up to sit sideways on him. He's such a star. The other two watched on, fascinated. When we brought him back in they went back to swarming. 

Carmen: stop taking photos of Irish, I'm the beautiful one

Then I brought Irish back in and the photographer took photos of me with each of the horses and all together. I really relaxed and just interacted with them as I would normally would. I quite liked the photographer- she knew her stuff and understood horses. Her suggestions were soft and she kept us all having fun. Carmen was quite friendly with her as well and that is not something I expect- she tends to be stand offish with strangers.  

I am excited to see how they turn out. In the meantime I am enjoying the out takes. 

Quaid: hey man, that's the best spot to scratch, thanks




14 comments:

  1. It's actually a quote from Anne of Green Gables, written by a lovely Canadian author incidentally! And one of the reasons I've always secretly wanted to move to PEI ♥️

    I'm so excited to see the photos! The horses all look lovely. And life is short, everyone should buy Dubarrys 😏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s where I read it before! You totally need to come to PEI. I’ll meet you there and then kidnap you.

      Delete
    2. My favorite book series <3

      Delete
  2. How awesome! Cant wait to see the final shots! (Psst I also have a wedding pic with a chicken. And, its also my fav pic. 😁)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun! I can't wait to see your photos! Having pro photos done of my horses was one of my favorite things. I wish I had done it with earlier horses way back when.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that sounds like fun- love the captions. Can't wait to see the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! I love how into people your horses are-well done you! Looking forward to the rest of the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely, and I am excited to see the photos, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.