dancing horses

dancing horses

Monday, April 29, 2024

A Twofer

 On Sunday I not only had a lesson, I had two! 


My original plan was to alternate lessons with Quaid and Carmen. However, Quaid is only being ridden 20-30 minutes and we've had to cancel quite a few lessons. So when the call went out to sign up for lessons last Sunday I reached out and asked if I could have a lesson and a half. And Jane said yes! 

Cordelia: I have my brush, where's my pony? 


Now I had to work out how to limit the downtime between the two. I did a lot of thinking and decided on a plan (and you know I love a plan). That morning I put Quaid's saddle, pad, girth and both bridles in a wheelbarrow and took them up to the ring. I also hung a hay net and put a ring in a post. About 30 minutes before I brought them both in and groomed them. I put a saddle on Carmen and then led the both of them up to the ring (thank heavens I had worked on that).  I tied up Carmen then tacked up Quaid and began our groundwork. 

Carmen was funny. She thought about being worried, then annoyed then happy she wasn't working but insulted she wasn't first. 

I set up the PIVO too. Unfortunately, my phone battery died during Carmen's lesson. I'm thinking I'll dig out a portable charger and tie it to the tripod to keep the phone charged. 

When Jane arrived Quaid was ready for me to get on. I talked about what I'd been doing with him. I've ridden him about 11 times since I brought him home. I need guidance on what I should be asking from him and how to support him. Jane asked if she needed to hold him while I mounted. I said 'no, if he won't stand for me to get on then he's not ready to be ridden'.   Here's a video of how we do the mounting. I pull the block out the middle, mostly because I don't want to have the discussion about grazing on the edges. 


As you can see he stands very still while I get on. The slight backing up once I sit needs to be fixed but I'm trying to not make a big deal about it. Mostly because I don't want to ride off as soon as my butt hits the leather. Instead we stand there and I do a couple flexions. It's just to have him thinking that my ask will be something other than walking off. 

Jane's feedback basically was for me to ride my horse and stop trying to baby him around. Which is exactly what I needed to hear. I've been too caught up into being careful.  And, my god, my arms are so tight. I didn't even realise it until Jane pointed it out and I watched the video. I think it comes from me being careful- with him and myself. Even though he hasn't done anything when I've been on him, I am still not sure what he will do if/when he gets upset. Which makes me ride defensively. Throw in the general unsteadiness of a very green horse and it feels quite awkward at times. 

pats for the best boy

Despite all this, we weren't really half-bad. Quaid tried really hard and I tried really hard and we each gave each other grace. He's such a cool horse that way. The lesson was walk and trot with steering. So only interesting to a few people, I'm sure.  There was a definite draw to Carmen, which you can see here. But he responded to my outside leg. No one is surprised that I was relying mostly on my inside rein and Jane was clear that I needed to get off it. 

Carmen is watching us here. 

I also need to keep my legs draped on his side and not try to keep them off.  Poor Jane, she kept having to say 'stop riding him like a baby'.  And by that she didn't mean that he wasn't a baby but that he needs to have clear aids and I need to do them properly. She also worked on me getting him to do downward transitions with just my seat, no hands. 

looking down but not otherwise looking good

The time really flew during the lesson (for me anyway). He stayed pretty attentive through all of it. Here's a video of the end. 


look at his reach! 

After our lesson I untacked him and put him in the paddock. I then put Carmen's bridle on and started lesson # 2 (honestly, thank heavens I started working out last winter).  I shared that Carmen has been really good. I've been really happy with how quickly she connects with me.  Jane had us a do a lot of walking, adding in shoulder-in and leg yields. I am so guilty of letting Caren bend her neck and not her body.  We did a lot of giving the rein and taking it back at all three gaits.  In the past when I gave the rein too much Carmen would become really uncertain and would often spook/bolt. Now she's learning to soften and lengthen her neck. 

Carmen: finally it's my turn

We did shoulder in on the circle too and that is so hard. We had to do a 10 metre circle and then keep that bend coming onto the larger circle.  But the pay off is that I could feel her come up and soft and balanced. When Jane asked us to canter for the first time she just lifted off into a balanced and soft canter. It was lovely. I gave the rein forward on the canter circle and she just stayed really steady and didn't lose her rhythm at all.  We even did leg yields at the canter and Carmen did not get all emotional about it.  I love not having to spend 30 minutes getting her mentally in the game. Instead we can just go to work. 

Doing the lessons this way was a lot of work- the organization and riding two horses in very different places in their training.  But it was so worth it. 

Carmen: move over baby genius it's time for the expert





18 comments:

  1. Good job Quaid! I don't know how it took me this long to sort out riding with my seat (vs hands)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a work in progress, that’s for sure.

      Delete
  2. What a great day! TWO very good horses for their lessons! Seeing Quaid out there just learning really makes you see how far Carmen has come with you. You're doing a great job with both horses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about how it highlights the progress in Carmen. And thank you!

      Delete
  3. Back to back lessons is so much! As is switching from a baby to something trained - but man do you learn a lot!!! Quaid is looking so grown up these days 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s not too bad when one doesn’t require too much physical work but it does mess with the head a bit.

      Delete
  4. There’s so much to think about with a green horse that it really takes you back to square one as a rider. Quaid is doing really well and you look good on him. I bet it felt good to get on Carmen who you have such a mutual understanding with, after being on Quaid, where you’re still getting your groove down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that’s exactly how I feel. Like, do I even know how to ride?

      Delete
    2. For sure! There’s that Dorrance saying: “First you go with the horse. Then the horse goes with you. Then you go together.” I’m in that first stage of trying to go with the horse, and it feels very new and unpredictable. Tweed is trying to go with me now, too. Soon we will be together, and you with Quaid.

      Delete
  5. lol “move over it’s time for the expert” — I love this!! How wonderful to get to enjoy them both like this!! Quaid looks fantastic too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It’s going to be interesting this summer.

      Delete
  6. It's so cool to have good rides on both horses. Riding colts isn't easy and the older we get, the less we trust our own response time and balance, and that makes it easy to be tense and self protective. Not what they need, is it? Having a mentor to help us get through that phase on a green horse is priceless.
    Quaid looks great!
    You have reached a pretty good place with Carmen, and now you have Quaid to compare to. Should be a fun summer for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having Jane is wonderful. She’s so helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kudos for teaching your young horse to stand politely for mounting. That's how you start a great ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It’s one of those non-negotiables for me.

      Delete
  9. That's quite the planning to get the lessons done. That was super smart! I'm glad both horses seem to be going well for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.