dancing horses

dancing horses

Thursday, May 16, 2024

The March of Time

 I realise it's been a while since my last post. Part of the reason is shortly after I wrote it I came down with Covid. Believe it or not it was my first time. I have to appreciate the irony of dodging it for four years and all the travel to actually get it after a single visit to the local rec centre. It knocked me on my ass for a bit and even after it was gone I had zero stamina.  Fortunately, it's all gone and I'm feeling normal.  I was happy that I was all better in time for my birthday. It was a big one: 


It feels weird to be 60. Like, I officially have more years behind me than in front. Which was true when I was in my 50's too but it felt different. Anyway, I had a small party to celebrate with my family and friends and asked that people bring donations to the local animal shelter rather than gifts. The balloons though- I kept those.  I don't feel old even I'm officially a senior. I guess that's the key.  

We also lost our OG hen, Beth about 10 days ago. She was such a lovely hen and my favourite. I believe she had heart failure. She lived to be 4 which is fairly aged for a commercial layer.  I will miss her hanging out with me. 


The weather has finally decided to cooperate and I've been getting more riding in, now that I'm feeling better. Carmen and I had a lesson last week. While I was sick I transitioned them to the back pasture. AS always, when Carmen is full time on grass she gets a bit strong and pushy.  In my lesson Jane commented that, while she was definitely challenging, she wasn't out of control and we worked through it. 

We had some nice moments

and some hilariously bad ones. Like what are we 
even doing here? 

After Carmen and I had previously worked through her going forward she's decided that she needs to do everything at speed. And still not stepping up behind. So we're trying to find that middle ground of a working pace and pushing from behind. It's hard work.  I realised that we've learned that if she goes fast when I put on my leg I'll take them off. Sigh. So I have to fix that screw up with the idea that my leg means more than go faster. We shall get there. 

Quaid, however, is being a superstar. Every ride is better than the one before. There was one day when he was quite up that I decided to not get on. I'm thrilled that it was just one. The next day he was great. We can actually travel in a sort of straight line. Our travel on the right rein is getting better. I love how he tries to figure stuff out. Most rides are 20-30 minutes. 


It's fun to see how quickly things can progress with a young horse. He reminds me a lot of Steele in that way. 

Cordelia is growing like a weed. She's very smart and sweet. Most of the time. Every now and then she gets overexcited and turns into a nipping/hyper puppy. It usually means she needs a nap. We're going to puppy classes and she's super smart. 

do you like her new tag? 

I can't believe May is almost over. There's our usual show the beginning of June and, as usual, I don't feel ready. But I'll go. I'm trying to decide if I should register Quaid for 1 or 2 walk/trot classes for the experience. He'll be there anyway.  We'll see. 


15 comments:

  1. lololol that second photo of Carmen is basically me and doozy, erry day! glad you had a happy birthday and are feeling better post-covid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but Doozy is green. Carmen is just extra. 😁

      Delete
  2. Glad you're feeling better.
    That Cordelia is just so darn... well I was going to say cute but I think it's more fitting to say she has a regal look to her with those amazing ears.
    Belated birthday wishes! One thing about getting older, you start to focus on the things that are most important and let go of things that really don't matter. Important things, like riding! I hope you do enter Quaid, it should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right_ it gets easier to see what is important. And I think the Cordelia is going to mature into a beautiful and regal dog.

      Delete
  3. HBD! All sounds good except for the COVID, lovely that Quaid is going so well ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes. Covid. I had it back in 22. I think once you get it, though, you don’t get it as bad the next time. I take vitamin D now, and that has helped me not get as many colds from my grandson. knock on wood!!

    That Quaid is amazing. He sure seems like he would be a good trail horse. Sorry about Beth. She was a pretty chicken. Cordelia is so cute with those big ears. I guess she’s like a toddler, because my grandson gets the energy up when he is ready for a nap, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he’ll be a good trail horse too. I’m hoping to never get Covid again but who knows. I think that there’s a lot of similarities with young animals, lol.

      Delete
  5. So glad you're feeling better! I'm sorry about your hen, that's so sad!
    Happy Birthday! It will be a great year for you and the horses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth lived a nice life. I do miss her though.

      Delete
  6. It always feels so counter productive to leave the legs on when a horse is hot. But its always the answer.

    I'm glad you're feeling better. I've missed covid so far as well but I'm sure it will be my time soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always the answer but habits are hard to break. In some ways it was a relief to finally catch it. Weird as that sounds.

      Delete
  7. Good to hear from you. Sorry to hear about the COVID, but glad it is behind you now. Happy belated birthday! And I love Cordelia <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy belated birthday! So glad you're feeling better! Quaid sounds like such a good egg

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm starting to feel like the last person on Earth to catch Covid - I haven't had it yet! Glad you are feeling better because it sounds like you have stuff to get done!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.