dancing horses

dancing horses

Thursday, April 25, 2024

The House Crocodile

 Last weekend was pretty epic. And it had very little to do with horses. 

As you may recall, Guinness was getting a new assistant: Cordelia, a 9 week old GSD puppy. She was just outside Montreal and we had always planned to go get her. But you can't just go to Montreal and back without enjoying it a few days. I also coincided with a PWHL (Professional Womens Hockey League) at the Bell centre between Montreal and Toronto. When my daughter suggested we go I realised that the timing was perfect. 

I am a country girl but I do love to visit big cities. Especially one like Montreal. It has such a great vibe and is built to walk around. We got a great hotel (with parking!) close to the Bell Centre and St. Catherine's street. I was wonderful to walk around and see everything. 

Love how the new and old are connected

The game was Saturday afternoon and the Bell Centre was pumping. It was sold out crowd (a world record for women's hockey attendance) made of 80%+ women. There were infants and women with walkers. Everyone was so excited. The game did not disappoint (although Montreal lost in OT- boo!). 


wearing our hockey shirts

 
you can't go to Montreal and not get a Montreal
Smoked Meat sandwich! 

both teams warming up

Sunday morning we drove about an hour to go and meet Cordelia and her family. I've known Dawn (the breeder) for a bit but have never met in person. Cordelia was as lovely as she appeared in the photos. When it was time to go Dawn was crying; she loves her puppies and gives them the best start. 

We're all happy, Cordelia is wondering what's going on

The plan was to drive a long time on Sunday, stay over in a hotel and a shorter time on Monday. Cordelia was a great traveller. She would complain a bit and then go to sleep. 

first selfie 

Guinness was a bit barky at first when we got home but now they are settled in together. Guinness has taken her under his wing and is, perhaps, a bit too lenient. I actually saw her push him away from his food. Which is something I stopped immediately. She doesn't get to be too rambunctious with him. 

We have a crate on the main floor and one upstairs in the bedroom for night time. We have our snuggle in the bed and then I put her in the crate. She protested a lot the first night but it's getting better and better. Last night she barely said a peep. Guinness was sleeping by her crate and he got up to move, she started to cry so he gave a sigh and came back and laid by the crate again. She went right to sleep. 

I mean, who could resist those eyes and bunny ears? 

It's been a long time since we had a puppy (7 to be exact) so we're all on a bit of a learning curve. Cordelia is enjoying the farm dog life. 
helping to clean stalls. I don't know
why it's taking me so long these days


this cushion fell off the couch and I
don't have the heart to put it back

Overall, she's a good dog with sharp needle teeth that latch on to things and don't let go. 


Right now she's glued to me- which is good. I use that to support the behaviours I want. I've enrolled us in puppy classes starting next week. Those should be fun. I'll have to remember this cute phase when she goes through her velociraptor phase. 




15 comments:

  1. oh my lord, those EARS <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG A PUPPY. I need to step away from this post quickly :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never ben to Montreal although that is where my grandmother lived and worked. Sounds like you had a great time there! Cordelia is so cute- those ears though! Guinness is a pretty cool uncle, love that he sleeps by her at night .
    Oh yes the rip tear and shred days will soon be upon you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is so cute. Her breeder sounds like an amazing puppy mama! That’s so important. I love the name Cordelia, too. Puppies are good for the heart and soul, and she appears to already know you are her person. It was meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was funny, the breeder chooses the puppy to make sure it’s a good fit. I’ve been following her social media posts and loved Cordelia from the start. But I didn’t think I’d get her. I figured she’d go to to a competition or working home. I was very excited to be paired with her.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a fun city visit and the pup is SO cute! Nothing better than a good GSD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! She's precious!!! Congrats!
    I'm so glad to hear Guinness is taking to his new role. What a sweet boy he is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is so good with her. And she is a sweetheart

      Delete
  7. Our GSD is twelve now and has been the coolest dog ever. A little deaf these days but still amazing!
    As an aside, my 3-month-old kitten is now solidly in the velociraptor phase. Send help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, kittens are delightful little demons.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.