dancing horses

dancing horses

Sunday, March 24, 2024

Rebound

 Man March is a difficult month. After some early lovely weather a switch was flipped and we've had rain and wind and cold. One day we had all the weather: wind, snow, rain, sleet and sun.  It rotated every 10 minutes. I don't why I'm surprised, it's like that every year. But I am always optimistic that the weather will be warm and sunny. 

brought them in early out of torrential rain, 
but they were convinced it was supper time and
I was being unnecessarily cruel

All this means that there is no way to be consistent in schooling, instead I take advantage of the rare breaks in the weather. 

My rides on Carmen are going well. Way back in February I tried to get a lesson at Stephanie's but that couldn't happen for various (usually weather) reasons. I had a lesson booked last week but it was cancelled. I had one booked this Saturday but with the forecast I was not optimistic. However, the stars aligned and I was able to have it.  I was so sure that it was going to rain and prevent the lesson that I did not set up the Pivo. So you'll have to believe me when I tell you it was awesome. 

Compared to this time last year, we are so much further ahead. Definitely having her at an indoor was a big help. Jane commented that she could see how my improved fitness had improved my riding. Which is what I was also feeling, so it was great to have validation. 

breaking up the wall of text with a 
photo of the prettiest Pussy Willow

Once we got her hind leg activated Carmen was amazing.  I'm excited to see where we go this year. 

I've been doing ground work with Quaid and he's bene doing well.  I did a whole spa day where I took out the braids that Nikki had put in.  His mane is out of control. 
see what I mean

My preferred plan would be to work with him and ride when I have someone with me but honestly that is going to make things positively glacial. So Saturday morning I decided to take him up to the ring and see how far we could get. I did a quick running braid in that mane. He was a bit distracted at first and then was asking me a lot of questions about who got to decide the pace. I realised that this was an important question that I'd better have the answer to otherwise it would bite me in the ass in the saddle.  I worked on being really clear and consistent. This worked out well so then I tacked him up and worked him with the tack on. Finally I decided to get on. I sent Ed a quick text (he was in the house) 'I'm getting on Quaid. If you don't hear from me in 20 minutes come check on me'. 

Spoiler alert, he did not need to come check on me. But I didn't do much either. I got on, walked him a few times in both directions and hopped off.  Call me chicken, but I'll call that a win.  I would rather take baby steps and build on our confidence then try too much. The trick is to do a little more each time.  At least that's the plan. 

In other news, his ulcer meds are done and he's eating everything in sight.  His coat is shedding but underneath there's a little shine that comes out when I groom. He's back to his friendly, sociable self. When I go out to call him in the field he comes right over and is happy to go to work.  He's also happy to go back to his paddock too. 

post roll celebration






14 comments:

  1. March- the month where we can and do get every kind of weather possible. It definitely messes with riding plans! Still waiting for the kind of weather that is kind to old ladies to ride Gussie again. (we are both old ladies, me and the Gus).
    Can you explain about getting Carmen's hind leg activated?
    What a glorious mane Quaid has!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t know why I always expect March to be different but I do. 🙄 what I mean by activating her hind leg is to get her to push from her hind end rather then plop along on her forehand. The first step is making sure she’s aligned, then has a steady rhythm. From there half-halts and transitions get her pushing. It’s not about speed but power.

      Delete
  2. being able to get into the saddle and "go through the motions," as they may be, is so so SO valuable in the early days. at least with my young horse (who has lived a LOT more life as a racehorse than Quaid has), there's so much more to the "work" than just riding, and every little bit of time together added value. glad you're able to keeping chipping away at the details with Quaid even when it sometimes has to be through solo activities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement. It’s so easy to fall into the ‘we should be farther’ trap.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you’re off to a great start with both horses. You have all the time in the world to bring Quaid along, which is nice. April is right around the corner and more consistently nice days. Can’t wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are right about better weather. This endless cold rain is killing my soul.

      Delete
  4. Love that first picture! ♥️ Sounds like you are off to a great start with Quaid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. March weather is mild torture. I thought we were getting outside again, but then BOOM! Cold and windy. And wet. But at least it's not snow! My brother in VT got a ton of snow this weekend!
    Sounds like things are going great with the horses though, despite the inconsistent weather. I think you're doing all the right things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ugh March. Barely rode at all. Looking forward to April though!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soon we’ll have warm weather. And black flies.

      Delete
  7. As someone who grew up in a land of endless summers longing for seasons, March is the reason why every spring I scream, "I HATE spring!" lol Maryland and Nova Scotia have been sharing the same weather patterns this winter-spring.

    Quaid's thick mane is just one of his many parallels with Lu. <3 I can't tell you how many times I've done double-takes with pictures of Quaid, because he looks so much like my little dude! I'm glad Quaid is feeling better as well. This winter was a strugglebus with Lu on the ulcer front too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same double takes. I feel like Lu and Quaid are soul brothers. I love reading about Lu’s adventures.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.