dancing horses

dancing horses

Thursday, March 14, 2024

Rejuvenation

 In my last post I shared about how Quaid's system was in an uproar and how I was trying to get him back on track. 

I am happy to report that we are well on our way with that. While he was away I decided to put him on ulcer meds (in consultation with my vet of course). Because he was a distance away she phoned in the perscription to the vet near him so he could get started sooner. That vet used liquid omeprazole drawn up in to a syringe. He definitely improved but even on return he still wasn't eating enough to make me happy. I had ordered only 2 weeks of the drug and I'm really happy about that. Because when he got home I got the remaining weeks from my vet. They use a paste compound with Aloe Vera added. Within 2 days of transitioning to that compound his appetite perked right up. 

Now I know it's not a perfect experiment because of all the variables involved: being home, adding vitamin e and flaxseed. But regardless he has gone from picking at his food disinterestedly to devouring his food and being quite excited at meal times. It does my heart good. 

speaking of hearts, he has the most
adorable heart-shaped snip on his nose

Julia has been able to come out the last two days which is exciting. Because Quaid just had 4 weeks of training I really don't want to ride him when I'm alone.  I know I will at some point but it's important to me that we start off slow and build our confidence in each other. 

Yesterday was a 'nice' day by March standards- it was sunny-ish (well okay it wasn't raining) but there was a sharp, cold wind blowing. We both were of the thought that we might end up just grooming (god so much mud) and lunging. But we prepared so that we could do more.  

Carmen was a bit excited but settled in and Julia mounted and had a nice ride. I was working with Quaid and he had a fair bit of energy that felt more due to youth and feeling good, rather than spookiness. We did a lot of groundwork and I was happy to see that after some forward canter there wasn't a hive to be seen.  I decided to put on his saddle and bridle to at least work in that. He stood quietly while I tacked him up in the ring, even with his pad blowing off.  Lunging him in tack he seemed good and Julia was done riding so I asked her to help. 


I mounted him and rode him with her being in the middle 'lunging' him. I simply walked him both ways for a few minutes and called it a day. I was quite happy with that. 

Today was sunnier and no wind and both horses were quite mellow. I worked him on the ground and he was so connected. I put tack on and then, after a few minutes, mounted while Carmen and Julia worked in the ring. I walked him around working on steering and not falling into the middle. I halted him and we worked on some baby turn on the forehands. I just wanted to break down the idea that one leg means move away while two mean to go forward. It's been years since I've ridden such a green horse, it's hard because everything I do should mean something so I have to be careful. While we were working the neighbour started using a chainsaw and he didn't care at all. 

I love this view. 

When Julia and Carmen were done working they stood while Quaid and I practiced trotting around them on a circle. After about 20 minutes I stopped and dismounted. I was thrilled. And on checking him there were no hives. 


cookies for the best baby genius

Mike and Nikki have done such a great job with him. He understands about being ridden and, most importantly, he is curious not worried. There's a ton to do with him, of course but we will be able to pick away at it. 

Carmen: Hey, where are my cookies? 

Carmen: don't forget kid, you may be a 
genius but I'm still the magnificent one

I realised that he's outgrowing his bridle (at least the broadband part) so I have to figure that out. I think with the size of his head he can handle a thicker leather then his current one. 


hive free! (and handsome)

17 comments:

  1. Glad Quaid is feeling better! You are smart to ease into riding him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think it will be faster in the end

      Delete
  2. Yay for no hives! I'm glad he's feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad the right stomach meds got him back on track!! Sounds like two lovely rides, yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were great rides. Mostly because I was okay to not ride and just followed his lead.

      Delete
  4. eeeee what an exciting update!! he seems like such a good dude, and i'm glad Carmen is enjoying her time with Julie too <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smart to take the first rides at home easy- just as long as he isn't the one calling the shots! But it looks like he's pretty mellow and you're on your way to building a good foundation with him. And ya Quaid, don't forget that Carmen is the Queen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s always a task to make sure that you listen to the horse but not let them take over. I’m sure I’ll mess it up at times but he’s pretty forgiving.

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous! For Qs first year, some of my rides were alarmingly short. But if I got promptly what I asked for, I jumped off, gave a treat and a good pet, and we proceeded to a long grooming session. He never soured. Enjoy these baby years, they go by so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a good boy <3

    It can be so hard to figure out their systems because they are so sensitive beyond our knowledge and there are just so many factors. Time is everyone's best friend. Couple that with the ones that are beyond stoic...which seems like so many to then have one react like Q. It is just so interesting. My Lito is kind of like Q in some ways. He actually coliced in January a few days before our annual vaccines. Had a rectal and was tubed. He did get his vaccines as scheduled and later that week had a Chiro appointment (his second ever). He was just not quite right during this time. I have always wondered if he was uclery based on several things...I decided do have him scoped within a month of the colic episode (such a fun vet bill time!)...and he was ulcer free. Anyway, after the scope he was even worse than before. He dropped a lot of weight (at least to me...it does not take a little loss on him to look like a lot) and boycotted feed for at least 2 weeks. Luckily he was still eating grass, but not in his normal way. Just really not himself in attitude either. He finally started to improve in the feeding department slowly and we finally got back riding. I feel like just now he is finally back to looking and feeling like himself. Thankfully! I couldn't tell you what was the instigation, but it all felt like too much for him. Like similar to feeling overfaced. I don't know. I keep coming back to Keep It Simple Silly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad Lito is doing well. Quaid’s hives have not appeared again and he’s definitely feeling good. Its something to be aware of in the future.

      Delete
  8. So exciting! Sounds like it's going really well now that you have him feeling better.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.