dancing horses

dancing horses

Sunday, March 10, 2024

Regrouping

 It's been a week since Carmen and Quaid have returned home.  You may recall that while he was at the trainers he was not really eating so we started him on some ulcer meds. His appetite was definitely better when he got home but still not stellar. 

He had definitely lost weight and it's hard to not worry. But I told myself that I needed to let being home and the medication do their job. Before he left he was a bottomless pit and was actually getting a little chunky.  I was happy that I had sent him a little heavy. 

not horrible

Compared to him in December

Every day he was doing a little better. Despite clearly not liking his medication he is so good about taking it. I don't even need to halter him. On Tuesday the vet came to do the annual examination and vaccines. The timing wasn't ideal but there's not a lot of wiggle room with appointments this time of year.  She noted that, while he was definitely thinner, he still had a nice cover on his ribs and so looked worse than he really was.  Both horses had their teeth done. 


Guinness helping the vet assistant



totally flying high here

The vet was telling me about a new vaccine that had everything in one rather than two needles. I had also shared with her about Quaid starting to break out in hives when he was worked. We talked about it and I am flummoxed because he didn't have that last year.   We decided to give Carmen the new vaccine but give Quaid what he had last year and didn't react. I let them out after the vet visit and that night everyone was fine. 

However, the next morning he was clearly unhappy and sore from the vaccine. So I gave him some banamine with his ulcer drugs and called the vet. She said to let him out and maybe give him more banamine that night.  He definitely perked up but I wasn't happy with his appetite until I brought him in. I decided to not give him another dose of banamine because of its impact on his stomach. And he didn't need it because the next morning he was much better.  FYI, Carmen had zero reaction.  

On Saturday the weather was lovely (for march) and I was able to ride Carmen and lunge Quaid. he was really good and then he spooked at something and cantered off. He wasn't trying to get away, he didn't even pull on the line but his tail was flagged and he was snorting. And then, within minutes he broke out in hives. 


Within 30 minutes of being put away they were 90% gone and totally gone by dinner time.  

I honestly think that he just dealt with a lot- the fire, training (even though it was so nice and gentle),  not getting his normal turn out, new place etc and his immune system is overwhelmed.  Ulcers can also have an impact. I have him on vitamin e but I'm going to get him some flaxseed and see if that helps boost his system. I will work him but not hard and let him settle into the routine.  

I realise that this recap make it sounds like Quaid is struggling. But he honestly seems pretty good and happy. The past few days he ate everything and is beginning to act hungry.  Since we didnt' have any of these issues last year I've decided that he will regroup and be fine. Right? 

Also, puppy preparations. 
So excited! 




19 comments:

  1. Even with super great trainers, going off to training is hard, weird and scary. Thunder definitely had some things to work through when he went off to training, but he did so much better after a short round of ulcer meds. Quaid will probably feel much better after a couple of weeks, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really went through sone big changes. He’s getting back to himself everyday

      Delete
  2. that's so interesting about the hives! i have known horses who would fluff up their coats in a kind of patchy way after hard work, but not sure that's quite what you're seeing here... regardless, your approach sounds solid. at least with my new young horse, who is neither as young nor as inexperienced in life as Quaid (since she's an ottb), it's actually been really positive to approach everything with an intentional "one step forward / two steps back" mentality, where we're shoring up the basics and taking care of the management details with twice as much focus as pushing forward onto new ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered if it was a weird coat reaction. Either way, the flax will be good for him n

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you have a good plan. My Hanoverian cross mare had such huge reactions to shots that eventually the vet would give her IV banamine directly after shots and her reaction was almost nil. Hives are so tough. I personally get them and have found they are more likely to pop up when my immune system is low, I eat certain trigger foods, or when I get super hot with the above. It will probably be a process to figure out how to mitigate his hives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely medicate him before vaccines next time. He did not react last year but clearly is sensitive this year.

      Delete
  4. I had a mare years ago that would occasionally get exercise induced hives, they would go away fairly quickly once she was cooled out after she was worked. We never did figure out a trigger, it only happened a few times, but the vet didn't seem worried about it. Interestingly, we did treat her for ulcers at one point. She would also get a bit sore, and sometimes have a bit of a fever from her rabies vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thst is interesting. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  5. I hope he continues to feel better. I have a few allergies and exercise sometimes makes hives appear for a short time, doctor's theory is that the upped heart rate etc makes it circulate through more quickly to where I react vs if I was lazy it would just stay in the background while my body slowly processes (probably getting that scientifically wrong but you get the idea - it seems to make sense in my life at least)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes a lot of sense to me and is line with my thoughts.

      Delete
  6. He did go through quite a lot in a short period of time. And even more if you consider back to his hoof hole and surgeries. I think giving it more time while you keep watch is definitely a good path. Hopefully he settles quickly and everything goes away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every day his appetite is better which makes me happy.

      Delete
  7. I’ve had horses break out in hives twice. Cowgirl broke out in them after having Epona. I believe it was due to stress. I think she knew something was wrong with Epona and that drinking milk was hurting her. She would try to keep Epona from drinking, and then, of course, Epona almost died from pneumonia due to pharyngeal dysfunction, at one week old. Mama’s know.

    The second was Tumbleweed when he went to training the second time. He broke out in hives all over. She gave him an antihistamine, I think, and it cleared up. He didn’t absorb as much during that session. There are so many variables each time; including the other horses who are there. Hard to say what happened. I know a lot of babies were born there that year, and there were two stallions. That could have done it. I bet he felt very stressed and vulnerable.

    My trainer always tells us to get the horses as fat as we can before they come to her. They always lose weight, but gain muscle. In fact, I need to put Epona on a special program very soon because she’s heading to training in June. It will be warmer then when Quaid was in training. I assume, he had both things to contend with, exercise and cold. You’ll fatten him up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is interesting that it happened to cowgirl and Tweed. It makes me feel optimistic that it passed. I do have antihistamines but I’m reluctant to give them because of his stomach. It may come to that. l optimistic that it passed. I do have antihistamines but I’m reluctant to give them because of his stomach. It may come to that.

      Delete
  8. Poor little Quaid! Sounds like you have a good plan and have him on the road to feeling great soon. It's emotional becoming a riding horse!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending a horse to a trainer is a big deal to them . Away from home, new people, having to use their brain as well as their body in new ways- definitely the hives could be stress related.
    Hopefully he will be over all that now though.
    Aloe vera is a good source of vitamin E, I give it to Gussie if I think she has tummy problems. (She is prone to fecal water syndrome). 1/4 cup on some soaked beet pulp for a week seems to help.
    I have had horses lose a lot of weight at the trainers, mostly because they get too stressed to eat properly, and it does take them a bit of time to rebound. Quaid will be fine if his appetite is getting back to normal.
    Have you picked out which pup yet? So much cuteness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this. There is aloe Vera mixed in his ulcer meds. It’s good for ulcers as well. This morning he was very excited for breakfast, which made me happy. I don’t know which pup yet , just thst it will be a girl.

      Delete
  10. Time is always good. It can take more than you think.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.