dancing horses

dancing horses

Friday, December 22, 2023

Reflections: Looking Back on 2023

 Yesterday was the winter solstice and that seems to be a good time to reflect on the past year. 


2023 was quite the year, full of ups and downs. I know that's fairly normal, it just seemed that this year there peaks were higher and the valleys lower.  The year started off easy enough with a fairly mild January. I was able to ride and the horses enjoyed the sunshine. 

In February the weather took a turn to record low temperatures. Ed was home recovering from heart surgery.  On the coldest day of the year I found Quaid with a screw embedded in his hoof.  This lead to a nightmare of multiple vet visits, two trips to the Veterinary Hospital and a real fear that I was going to lose him.  In the end he had to have a second surgery to debride the bone which had gotten infected. 

X-ray

Once he was home, he was still not out of the woods. I had to protect the hoof, do regular bandage changes and make sure that not one drop of dirt got in the open hoof wound.  It was expensive and I had to work through some trauma with Quaid once it was all done.  At one point he kicked me and I thought I broke my elbow. It turned out to be heavily bruised but it was all a bit much.  I think I can now wrap a hoof with my eyes closed. I have a great stock of supplies now and if you need recommendations on how to turn out a horse in March and keep their hoof dry just ask. It was all worth it, though because Quaid is now 100% sound (and has been since his surgery). 

every time I see him canter in the field I get a happy thrill

It was hard on all of us and I honestly don't know how I would have gotten through it without Julia and Tanya who helped me pretty. much every day.  Because of them and Joanne I was able to go off on a trip of lifetime to Europe while they took care of things at home. Karen and Jim gave me a place to stay while Quaid was in hospital and Paula took two trips with me to island.  I learned that friends are basically family that you pick up as you go. 

I retired at the end of March and Ed and I celebrated by doing a River Cruise from Zurich to Paris. It was an incredible trip. 

 I loved Strasbourg

When we returned home I settled in to learn what it was like to be a retired person. I spent the first two weeks basically exhausted. I think it was a combination of jet lag and stress leaving my body.  I loved having the summer to ride when I wanted to and not because I was squeezing it in between all my other responsibilities. 
Carmen and I got fitter

Which was good because the weather was not cooperative. Our spring was the driest I've ever seen and our province dealt with some pretty devastating wildfires. It was scary. And then in June it started to rain and from there we had the wettest summer ever.  There were road washouts and flooding. We couldn't get our hay until August. 
Thank heavens for French drains- this water
was gone by the next day

Being retired meant that I could take advantage of the weather when I could. I also read so many books this year.  I have to say that I was never bored. 

Things got busy in May with an Obstacle Clinic and a 'ride your test' at the show grounds.  Both were very useful in our training. After the test riding clinic I felt a lot more confident about showing Carmen. Before then I was convinced it was going to be a disaster. 




This year Carmen and I debuted Second Level. My literal goal was to lay down reasonable tests keeping her on the aids and not melt down. We succeeded beyond my imaginings. This fall I was pleasantly surprised to learn that we actually earned a Silver Medal this year. 


More important than the ribbons or awards is that I learned to ride more effectively and confidently.  My show in September helped me to learn to let go of Carmen.  Jane helped me so much at the shows and then picking things up from there and helping us to move ahead. 

I had a lot of lessons this year and they really paid off. Carmen is carrying herself more and is straighter. 

We travelled to Krista's for a clinic too. It was great. 

Training of Quaid started slow this year, for obvious reasons. But as the year progressed we gained momentum. I've ridden him a few times and he continues to impress me with his mind and willingness. 




I had a very active summer and it showed in my fitness and body. It felt really good to get in shape and I didn't want to regress over the winter. So I joined the local rec centre in October. I have been going to classes regularly. It's hard but it's fun. I have been doing this thing called a 'Total Body Workout', which I originally thought was aerobics but instead was doing things. with weights, exercise balls and tension bands. It's sooo hard but when it gets really tough I picture the flinging of hay bales.  After my first class my thighs were in serious pain from all the squats. I was still sore the next day but decided to ride anyway. When I was done I dismounted and my legs said 'nope!' and I fell on my ass on the ground. Carmen didn't move a muscle, just gave me her Carmen look and, I swear, rolled her eyes.  
Carmen: god, stop giggling and get up. You are so embarrassing. 

 I've also been doing Pilates and AquaFit (which is really fun). 

showed up one day not realising class was cancelled. 
Worked out anyway. 

I do like how I've been feeling. I am in the best shape I've been in years and it's showing up in my riding too. Jane has commented on it. Don't get me wrong, I'm no Nicole.(although she's an inspiration).  No one is going to be bouncing a quarter off my butt but at least now it won't disappear.  

Now it's December and things have really slowed down. Winter is here and the ring is frozen. I know that there will be some thaws that I plan to take advantage of. I am looking forward to not worrying about how I'm going to get to work when there's a storm. Instead I can stay home and watch horse training videos. 

That was the highlights and lowlights of 2023.  It felt like a lot, mostly because it was. But it's ended with everyone healthy and happy. What more could you ask for? 

All ready for Christmas




13 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the fitness progress, that is awesome. Also, I am so relieved all over again for you and Quaid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was quite a year for you! We were all so happy that the ordeal with Quaid had a happy ending. He's such a nice horse. And Carmen- I love the comments she has, I can just picture her saying them! So happy for you to have gotten the silver and all your work with her paid off. and congrats on getting fit!
    Hope next year has more highs than lows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’ve had a busy year too! Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  3. I have been keeping up with the blogs, but unable to comment on blogs from my phone. I enjoyed your recap, and seeing everything that has been going on this year. It seems like so much more than a year of events! Getting fit is such a great gift for yourself and your horsemanship. Happy New Year, and may you enjoy your retirement and good health throughout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I know thst your year has been full as well. Happy new Year.

      Delete
  4. what a year for you guys, so many exciting experiences, and so awesome to be finishing the year feeling so well and having so many big opportunities with both horses on the horizon!! wishing you a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting my new blog, my old one lost its comments section and I've not been able to get it to work again, so I started the new one. It's great to see Carmen again, what a beautiful horse she is. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a big year for yall that is for sure! A good one overall <3 especially since your boy has recovered so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had a lot of high points for sure. 2024 should be interesting!

      Delete
  7. You weren't kidding about the high highs and low lows. I can't believe the screw-in-hoof incident was less than a year ago. That's wild. I'm so glad he recovered from that! And congratulations on your fitness! This is something I can never seem to make time for and I am quite envious. Great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a year! So glad things with Quaid turned out so well. And Carmen really came into her adult self this year. Can't wait to follow along with your 2024 adventures!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.