dancing horses

dancing horses

Monday, December 18, 2023

The Pinch Hitter

 After a few days of snow and really cold temperatures, things started to warm up again and my ring thawed.  Which was great. I had a couple rides on Carmen and she was pretty good. I did a few lunging sessions with Quaid too. 

This is the latest that the horses have been able to  be grazing on the
 back field. There's still lots of good grass.


I was able to actually arrange a lesson for Sunday. While I don't like to drill before a lesson I do like to be prepared. Friday was cold and the ring was frozen but Saturday was lovely, although blustery. I was leading Carmen in through the small paddock into the stall to get her ready. The small paddock has been pretty muddy all year because of all the rain. Now it's frozen, rutted mud. Carmen was not paying attention to her feet and she tripped. It was scary because she couldn't get her balance on the frozen mud (despite her studs) and fell hard on her front legs. 

I brought her in and she had a few scrapes that looked superficial but she was quite shaken. And slightly off on her right fore. I checked her all over but, other than the cuts, I couldn't see any swelling.  I hosed her legs off, put some ointment on the cuts, gave her some Bute and turned her back out. It was interesting because, in the past, Carmen was quite defensive over injuries and required two handlers.  "that hurts, touch that bitch and I will end you."  But this time she was clearly shaken and was quite clingy, letting me fuss over her.  She did appreciate the extra feed with Bute. 

Carmen: extra feed? Makes it almost worth it. 


While I figured she had just stung herself I decided that I shouldn't take her in the lesson. But it was a good time to get Jane's perspective and help with Quaid. I was already planning to work him Saturday so that didn't change.  Keeping in mind that he'd only been lunged in the past few weeks a couple times he was perfect. 

He can look so grown up



And then so much like a baby

Our ground driving is really coming along. We actually manage to do a circle that doesn't look like it was made by a drunk duck. 

Jane was completely onboard with subbing in Quaid. In fact, it's really great to have two horses in work like this- it means that there is always one to work with.  

And you know what? It went great.  I did a little lunging warm up with him a few minutes before she came. He was a bit tighter and distractible than the day before. Which makes sense, A) he's still young and B) the weather was cooler and blustery than the day before. 

Warming up

When Jane came we hooked up the side reins. She made a couple adjustments and he did quite well. He's learning to trust the contact, especially at the trot. Canter is more difficult, which makes sense but he needs the opportunity to figure it out. 

He got a little frustrated with me pushing him forward and had a brief temper tantrum. 

Thee days it's as upset as he gets. I like to push him through and then give him a break to think about things. I have to be careful to not back off when he's upset because that will teach the wrong thing. 

Then it was time to mount up. 

Quaid: what's in the wheelbarrow? I hope it's food. 


note him standing ground tied while getting tacked up


Jane took the lunge line and I mounted. He was a little wiggly but stood stock still while I got on.  Jane was a great anchor for us. Talking me through using my leg aids and helping him to learn not only forward, but to not fall into the ring with his shoulder.  

Everyone is trying really hard here

He did spook once. I have it on video. Hang on to your hats while you watch it: 


Did you catch it? The moment of uncertainty and then 'phew, I'm okay'. 

I think it was about 25 minutes of riding, getting him to come off the inside leg when I felt him figure it out "ohhhh, you want THIS'.   I stopped him with my seat and turned to Jane and said 'I think that's a great spot to stop'.  
I was thinking the exact same thing!

So I dismounted. I love how he stands like a rock: 



It was a great lesson with him.  I am so happy with this horse, I think he's going to be exactly what I want. My plans have not changed with him- I still am going to send him off for a month of training. I have the opportunity to do everything right with Quaid. Having a professional get him really going under saddle and then having Jane pick us up in lessons seems like a great recipe for success. 


11 comments:

  1. He's a cool dude! Hope Carmen is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great !! What a solid experience for all of you (except poor shaken Carmen, hopes she’s feeling better!) - and glad you all got to experience a few little hiccups just to work thru and feel together that it’s nbd. Quaid seems like such a steady guy, it’ll be exciting to see him grow with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited to see us grow together too! Carmen is looking just fine.

      Delete
  3. Quaid is the best little dude 🤩 sorry to hear about Carmen's bumps but hopefully she'll be right as rain soon. Having more than one horse in work so I can swap in/out for lessons is my favorite. Ruby got to sub in for Emmy this weekend 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally see a time next year when I’ll say ‘ it’s awfully windy, I think I’ll play it safe and ride the 4 year old’ 🙄😁

      Delete
  4. Ouch! Poor Carmen. Hard ground hurts. I always worry about our horses slipping/tripping. Quaid is such a sensible handsome guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carmen is back to normal, hopefully with an appreciation of paying attention to her feet.

      Delete
  5. Poor Carmen! I hope she's feeling better!
    Quaid is so lovely, and I'm so excited to follow along as he grows up. He really is a smart boy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is such a good boy <3 I am glad you have him! Lovely to have another one to stand up when needed...but also to learn with and get better

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.