dancing horses

dancing horses

Monday, July 29, 2024

Riding Away (Baby Genius Edition)

 Last weekend Carmen, Quaid and I went to a dressage clinic with Coach Jane.  It was a 3 day clinic but we only did 2 of the days. I bathed both of them on Friday and packed up the truck and trailer. In the morning we left early, right after feeding (and morning coffee because that makes it better for everyone). It was zero trouble to load by myself. The clinic was about 45 minutes away an easy commute. When I arrived I had help to unload which was much appreciated. Carmen was a bit uncertain to come into the barn at first but then she decided she owned the place so it was all fine. Quaid followed along like the good boy he is. 

Quaid: well this is new
(sort of, he was  here last September)

 I rode both horses on Saturday and just Quaid on Sunday.  I'm going to break this up for both horses and thought it would be fun to start with the baby genius.  Quaid's first lesson was in the afternoon at 2:00.  I got him ready and walked him down by the ring to hang out before we went in.  As we got closer and he could hear Jane over the speaker the noise of Suzi & Tanya working in the ring he got very excited. Like tail over the back snorting like a dragon excited. Well, it might just be a lunge lesson.... I thought. 

There's a grass ring outside the arena and I worked him there until we had a bit of a brain and he remembered that he was a horse not a kite (note: I never run a horse off its legs but sometimes you have to balance the focus with letting them move their feet).  Soon enough it was time for us to go in. By then he had settled a lot and we did a little work in the arena before I got on. I didn't set up my Pico for this lesson because I had left my phone in the barn and just didn't want to add that to my already busy brain. So there is no media for this lesson. 

so here's a cute photo of him and his bff Archie

The ride was very exciting for both of us but probably not for anyone else. He was super excited and very forward which is not how we are at home so we hadn't schooled the slowing down too much. Turns out that simply hauling on the reins is not the answer to that. Letting him go forward and using my voice, seat and outside rein is the way. Oh and relax things, don't be so tight. Breathing is also good.  But honestly he did so well. I could feel him working really hard to hold it together. But he did hold it together as did I and by the end we were walking and trotting and not looking like an octopus being ridden by a crab.  I hosed him off and put him and Carmen out into a small grass paddock to relax.  I'm pretty sure by then he mentally and physically tired and was over this idea of working for a living.  But I was happy to note that the stress hives did not appear. 

That evening we all had a potluck dinner with lots of great food, laughter and chatter. I drove home, leaving the horses at the barn and was sound asleep before 10:00. 

The next day our lesson was at 10:00 a.m. Quaid looked quite happy and he was eating everything.  I got him ready and walked him down to the ring to hang out again. He was a completely different horse. Still a bit excited but not overwhelmed. We stood outside the ring relaxing and he got to see Tanya and Suzi go around. He even had a pee while we waited, which made me laugh. This time I did set up the Pivo so there's media.  

In the interest of honesty, I'm going to share some media from the lesson. I know there's a lot I need to fix. My habit of tightening my arms and raising my hands took over. I realise that this from my own tension. When you're riding a green horse (and not a professional) it feels really vulnerable. I am reasonably sure I know what he's going to do but I'm not completely confident that he won't 'blow'. That and the fact that a green horse feels different every stride has made me ride more defensively. As an AA I will own that and simply say that I'm working on it. And probably will until I die or stop riding (whichever comes first). #ridingishard

Quaid was fascinated with the mirrors in a really adorable way. On Saturday he wanted to put his nose on the mirror and blow on his reflection. You could see him trying to figure out who this horse was. 
mounting while he checked himself out

The lesson was a continuation from Saturday with Jane being much more honed in on me using my aids correctly and not just calming me down (which makes me sound like I was a wreck on Saturday which I don't think I was, but in all honesty I don't remember a lot of the ride Saturday so....*shrug*). 

I did a lot better letting go of the inside rein and being comfortable asking him to walk forward. When he broke to trot I was to let him and ride him forward. If he got fast I need to slow my posting. Which, like I KNOW but totally forgot I knew. 

I love this, I'm giving and he's reaching




There were a couple steering failures. Once I tried to trot him across the diagonal away from the in-gate and he did not want to go that way. It caught me off guard because we trot across the diagonal all the time but we regrouped and carried on.  The video below is some of our good work. 


Jane had us going in a nice trot and then told me that when I was ready to ask for canter. Which he got excited and I got defensive and we had a total communication break down. 

Quaid: LET GO OF ME
Me: STOP CAREENING 


But do you know what was great? We had our. moment, went back to trot and he settled right down and forgave me. Here's a video if you want a giggle. It felt a lot more 'eeek' then it looked: 


Which honestly was my takeaway from watching the video. In the moment of riding it felt largely unbalanced and I felt like I was awful. When I watch it he's actually pretty steady and his focus is phenomenal.  Especially when I remember that he's just 4 and this is like our 46th ride. 

I told Jane that I didn't think I was feeling confident enough to canter this weekend. She told me not to worry and she was working with me. Which I knew. I know she wasn't trying to push me too far out of our comfort zone and I totally trust her. I'm glad we tried it. I was just giving feedback on how I'm feeling. 

At the end of the lesson Jane said that we need to remember that riding a youngster makes us feel and look less skilled then when we ride a schooled horse.  Riders need a ton of experience on backing horses to look balanced and fully competent (not that she was calling me incompetent. At least I don't think so, lol) Which is 100% true. It has been a real experience having a baby again. I doubt I'll do it again but don't think I regret Quaid. I absolutely do not. I'm loving this experience with him.  I can see the horse he's going to mature to be and it's amazing. I all ready feel safer on him than I did on Carmen even 2 years ago. He tries so hard and is a kind horse. It was good to take him away and see how he amped he can get and work thought it with him. I think it's good for him to keep getting these experiences so he has confidence in himself.  Like I said, this time he never showed any hives and never stopped eating. Which tells me he's less stressed by going places. 

Quaid holding court



13 comments:

  1. i love all of this!! he seems like such a cool horse, and like you're getting really productive sessions with him!! the most helpful thing anybody's said to me so far in my green horse journey came from an 8th grader who nonchalantly informed me that "it doesn't look the way it probably feels." i dunno why, but it's been super helpful for me to repeat that to myself whenever i feel like i'm tightening up or clamping down LOL.... also, legit laughed out loud at "not looking like an octopus being ridden by a crab." haha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often think of that young rider as we careen around lol

      Delete
  2. Well done! Both of you! It is so hard riding babies well, he is a credit to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! It's always scary taking the green beans somewhere new since anything could happen. If he looks that good now, just think how great he'll look with some more experience in new places. I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am excited to see him develop

      Delete
  4. Riding young horses makes us all look like complete novices. So much is going on in our brains and bodies as we’re feeling all the emotions of our inexperienced horse underneath us. It throws everything off. You look great on him. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's very courageous how you take Quaid everywhere with you and keep doing all these things with him. It's so wonderful for his education, and you're both doing great! (Even if it doesn't always feel like it.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Riding the greenies is always an adventure- but Quaid and you did well! You look good on him.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.