dancing horses

dancing horses

Saturday, July 6, 2024

Dangerous Times

 I've been hesitant to even think about this, let alone write about it. 

Two weeks ago we received notification from the vet clinic we've used since we moved to the area in 1996: 


As you may know, we are experiencing veterinary staffing shortages. Unfortunately, we do not have enough Equine or Livestock Veterinarians to continue these services this fall. This has been a hard decision for us, however, effective August 1st we will be discontinuing livestock services (both clinic and farm calls for cattle, sheep, pigs, chickens, goats), as well as temporarily suspending equine services effective August 16th, 2024.  


This means that as of August 16th, I will not have any vet for my two horses. This is incredibly frightening to me. So much so that when Ed tried to talk to me about it I told him I couldn't. I have reached out to the clinic they said might be able to provide coverage. I have yet to hear back. 

There is a crisis in equine medical care and it's bad. It is estimated that 4.9% of private practice vets practice equine medicine (https://horsesport.com/horse-news/conference-addresses-critical-vet-shortage-canada/).  There are lots of reasons: cost of education, limited enrolment possibilities, demanding and rude clients and an impossible to maintain work-life balance.  

I believe that the other factor is the current trend of private vet practices being bought out by large corporations (https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/veterinarians-corporate-consolidation-1.7207186). My clinic used to be privately owned. Now it belongs to Vet Strategy which is 70% owned by a large conglomerate in Boston. 

Pets are now big business. I have my doubts that a large business in the U.S. cares whether my horses have access to care and this worries me. Most vets and technicians do not enter this profession to make money. They enter because they love animals and want to make their lives better.  But the reality of trying to operate a practice on your own (or with partners) must be daunting. And I believe that while having someone run the practice makes it easier for vets, not being able to guide the practice in a way you want must just add to the pressure (this is just my opinion and observations, I have no direct evidence of this). 

In the meantime I have to figure out what to do. I will continue to reach out to other clinics.  Last year my local vets saved Quaid's life. If I have an emergency what do I do? What about ongoing vaccines? I am comfortable to give my horses needles but I can't float their teeth. And I can't buy vaccines without a vet prescription in Canada;  unless I figure out how to get to the states and get them. Which I 100% will do if I have to. 

Do I buy a shotgun and learn how to shoot my horses in case I have to euthanise? I've even considered selling and moving away to where I can get a vet. Do I keep moving then? 

the communication from my vet clinic said: 

 

We understand that there will be feelings of support and understanding as well as disappointment. We understand that some may be interested in contacting us to express their feedback. We encourage you to contact us at (email) so that we can best direct your concerns as well as leave our phone lines open for emergencies. We would like to remind you that verbal abuse or harassment of any kind will not be tolerated or elicit a response.

It is our intent to resume Equine Services as soon as staffing permits, however we will not be resuming Livestock services.


I have sent two emails asking for clarity on the vaccine issue. I have yet to hear back. 

It is hard to not fall into despair over this situation.  I honestly don't know what to do or where to turn.  All I'm left with is to hope that equine services will resume at the clinic or that someone take me on or someone else will fill the void here. 

And hope is a lousy strategy. 

13 comments:

  1. Ugh this is terrifying 😬 I'm so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It’s a nightmare for horse owners

      Delete
  2. Wow. While I am well aware of vet and tech shortages, especially large animal, I never thought about not having services available at all. Absolutely frightening!! Hope your clinic figures out a solution, and soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s always been a worry at the back of my mind. Our clinic had 3-4 vets who did equine. Then it all collapsed.

      Delete
  3. Here in Alberta we are fortunate to have a very large population of horses and corresponding vet clinics. There is at least one clinic that has been taken over by a big business conglomerate. It must be very frustrating for you to have the rug jerked out from under your feet like that.
    You can always move to Alberta.. just sayin'! (Grin)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about it. Snow in June makes me hesitate 😁

      Delete
  4. It sounds awful. I hope the other clinic accepts you as a client. It is so easy to buy vaccines here, and then administer them. We do a lot of our own care. I wish it was deregulated up there, too. Many of the vets around here have moved into a large local practice and closed up their smaller businesses. Maybe they should make it easier for people to become vets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough this practice was multiple vets. I bought it worked great.

      Delete
  5. What a mess :( there are so many crazy things going on with resources these days, it’s really hard to understand….

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are without a vet here too. Our local community has been wonderful about supporting each other. As far as vaccines, etc I can travel to the city or Vancouver Island, or there is a traveling vet who tries to come here 1x a month. I'm so sorry this is happening, I feel your worries. Crossing fingers someone steps in to fill the gap for you, even if it's traveling there regularly. (And as for euthanizing, as morbid a discussion as it is to have, our community has a couple of farmer and hunter husbands who volunteer to help in an emergency where time and kindness are of the essence) I have a couple of vets I use from the city and they are invaluable and willing to help via text and phone since I try to keep on the current client list. It's not an ideal option, but better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard from a few people that had lived in the Maritimes how hard it was to find a good equine vet out there. An OK vet would still be better than no vet!
    Would you be able to order your vaccines through your small animal vet?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.