dancing horses

dancing horses

Monday, July 24, 2017

Saddle Fitters with Benefits

I've been wanting to get my saddle checked for a little bit. Carmen has been fine but I could feel my position shifting and becoming more difficult to keep in line. I know that something about the way that Carmen and I work together results in the stuffing getting compressed on the right side.

I finally made arrangements to take Carmen to Rachael's for a fitting. Rachael is not just a Master Saddler,  great horse trainer and teacher, she's also become my friend.

I got the trailer ready in the morning while the horse's watched me suspiciously.

Yup she's loading up the trailer.
I know it's me she's taking, where can I hide? 
Carmen loaded easily and we hit the road. This would be my first time trailering for about 2 hours each way for a day trip. The ride was uneventful (my favourite kind). We put Carmen in a stall that had 2 small pigs next door. I thought they were adorable but Carmen was less enthused. Rachael brought in her mare, Carpichosa to keep Carmen company. The saddle check took very little time- it was indeed flattened on one side and the fix was easy.
where have your brought me? I am suspicious. 

Then we got the horses ready and headed to the ring. Rachael has set up a Working Equitation course, complete with bull. Carmen was a bit spooked by it at first as I walked her by it but she was quite brave and came up to touch it.

It looks weird and smells like wood. I shall bite it. (fortunately I got her off before she damaged it)
Under saddle she was initially uncertain but in the end walked right up and tried to eat the ball.
Carmen: I think you've lost your mind.
Me: But think how easy dressage will feel now
Rachael was so good in helping Carmen and I deal with everything. She walked me through a despooking technique that was very helpful. I knew the theory but had trouble with the relaxation part. With her help we managed to be successful in playing. Carmen did bolt once- Caprichosa had just galloped over the bridge and the noise startled her just as a person pushing a wheel barrow came up behind her. That was just a bit too much for her. But we settled back down again and all was fine. We walked the bridge and even trotted the 'livestock pen'. I tried the gate and she nailed it the first time: pick up the rope, back through the two standards and put the rope back without letting go. I was impressed with us on that one. 

After, we traded horses. Carprichosa had a Dom Vaquero saddle with a sheepskin seat. All I can say is that I want one in the worse way. 
dear Santa, I have been very good this year....
I was thrilled when Rachael complemented me on how responsive Carmen was. "You have done a great job with her"  she said. If you knew Rachael you would know that she never gives idle compliments.  Then Rachael dismounted and helped me with her horse to ride the Spanish Walk, Passage and Piaffe. It was my first time every riding those gaits. It was amazing to feel the power and compression of the passage and piaffe. The Spanish Walk made me giggle. Frankly, by then I was giggling like a school girl.

We brought the horses back into the barn and Rachael brought out Elegida for us to go for a hack. Ellie was Steele's dam. She is the grand daughter of Gaucho III and Carmen is his daughter. I was amazed how similar that they look.
Hey, she's pretty cute! 

hello my new best friend.

It was funny- they took to one another right away. As we walked in the woods Carmen wanted to put her head on Elli's rump. Elli is a very calm horse and exudes the self-confidence that she passed on to her off-spring.


After we had a lunch and a chat and then Carmen and I headed home. Carmen was actually not so sure she wanted to leave but got on on the second try. After her supper she had a nap- I'm sure that the day was tiring for her. I could have used a nap as well. It was an epic, fun day.

It's supposed to rain tomorrow and I am so happy about that. The pastures can use the rain but I think that Carmen and I could use the rest!

36 comments:

  1. What a wonderful and productive day! I have a doma saddle 😉 it's very fun to play Spanish horse dress up with it! (Although I haven't in ages -- I should see what Ruby thinks of it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever want to sell it let me know....

      Delete
    2. Honestly it's been mostly gathering dust for a few years and I'd rather have an alta escuela saddle. But I feel like shipping it will be fairly cost prohibitive haha. Especially to Canada! But maybe.....

      Delete
    3. Those are nice! Maybe you could deliver...... :D

      Delete
  2. oooh what a fun day! so cool to get to practice some of that WE stuff too, and for Carmen to meet her 'relatives'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, "I shall bite it".
    Ellie & Carmen could almost be twins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really could. Elli is a few years older so I can see how Carmen will be praying out (they are both rose grays).

      Delete
  4. How lucky to have a wonderful saddle fitter and friend. Carmen is handling all the new stuff very well these days too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellie and Carmen are so cute together! Sounds like a wonderful day

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun. I slept really well last night!

      Delete
  7. Saddle fitter with benefits indeed! What a fun horse-filled day. Totally worth the commute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So what was the saddle fix?!

    And I have never heard of "despoiling." Must look up later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just adding in some stuffing on the right side and evening it out. Took 5 minutes. And the 'despoiling' was an auto correct. :D It should have said 'despooking'

      Delete
  9. What a great day the two of you had. I'm sure you and Carmen will be doing passage and piaffe some day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That saddle looks gloriously comfortable. How cool that you got to play with one of her horses!! Sounds like a great and productive day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was like riding on a cloud. It was a good day for both of us

      Delete
  11. Looks like a lot of fun! And what excitement you got to play with some upper level movements!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Much more fun than just a saddle fitting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds like such a fun day, and that saddle looks crazy comfortable! Also, so cool that you were able to ride a fancy horse and do fancy things on said horse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that saddle was like sitting on a big comfy couch. And fancy horse was very kind to me.

      Delete
  14. They look so alike. How cool. Also, so jealous you got to do WE things. I really want to try WE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking that you would love it. I bet Nilla would enjoy it.

      Delete
  15. love this post. Sounds like a fantastic, relaxing time. Great for all!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.