dancing horses

dancing horses

Saturday, July 8, 2017

Day 1 of the Show: Everything is Awesome


Everything is awesome, everything is cool when your part of a team 
Everything is awesome, when you're living out a dream 
Everything is better when we stick together 
Some have said you and I are gonna win forever?…
~Lego Movie ~

 Spoiler alert: everything  was, well, awesome. 

Last night I rode Carmen in the ring. She was worried about the same areas as last time but worked through it much faster. I found myself completely relaxed about the whole thing. Once she settled and was calm I dismounted Andrew put her away. I didn't want to drill her at all- the goal was to relax and we got it 

The next day I got on her about 30 minutes before my test time.  I think I could have done less. There were a few bobbles but it was a good warm up for us. Once we were going down the rail and she started to suck back. I put my leg on and she sucked back more. I gave her a smack with the whip and she gave a big buck and bounded forward. I was surprised how I just rode it and carried on. After that there were no issues. 

The weather was drizzly and warm I started with a rain coat but thought I was going to die - it felt like a steambath. 

We walked up to the ring and waited our turn. I took a deep breath and went in. For our first I focussed on keeping her on the aids and calm. And it really worked.  She listened to everything I asked. There was resistance at the ramp and she was stiff cantering to the right but overall I was thrilled with how smooth it felt.  The judge thought that we should have been a bit more forward - which was true. But my belief is that forward has to come out of a place of relaxation otherwise it turns to rushing. 

For the next test I had relaxation so I asked for more forward and she did the best she could. She was tired and that led to her haunches drifting in. I did my best to fix and she did her best as well. Again the test felt smooth. I was so happy with her.  

Our scores were 62.15 and 63.45 which seemed well in line with everyone else and 10 points higher then our first day at our last show. We place 2nd out of a group both times. When I went to get our second ribbon Carmen just wanted to stand there. You go get it- I just want to nap.  

The best part was the judge's comments that Carmen was calm and willing.  After all the time I put in with her these were the sweetest words. 
So proud of  this mare








28 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh!!! THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE. Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!! Sounds like an amazing show and it's so cool how far you guys have come :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats - that sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome!!!!! So happy it went so well!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. :D!! Congrats on a great show!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! ! You have earned every bit of that success, and so has Carmen. Good job, you two!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! It sounds like Carmen is finally stepping up and doing it. Everything is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats!! You two deserve it wit all the hard work you put in

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats!!! It's so awesome to see all your hard work paying off. I remember a particularly sweet test with my first stubborn Spanish mare after SO MANY COMMENTS about tension, that getting a test with "pleasant" was basically about as amazing to me as winning an Olympic medal. It meant more than any ribbon (although, ya know, ribbons are fun too!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These spanish mares can be challenging. :D

      Delete
  10. Ahh yassss!!! Calm and willing Carmen!! I love it!! Congrats on those lovely scores too!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Calm and willing" have to be the two sweetest words after all the work you two have done together! Congratulations on a great show. I'm so happy for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eee! Calm and willing is the greatest compliment ever! Soooo indicative of your hard work. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How wonderful! Good job sticking to your goals.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.