dancing horses

dancing horses

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

The Things We Do For Love

Let me start by saying that Ed and I are not really into Valentine's. While I am a fan of celebrating love, I am a believer that what happens on one day a year does not define whether someone loves you or not.

Sometimes though there are exceptions. Like today.

Yesterday we were hammered with a blizzard. Three times we cleared a path to the barn only to find it completely obliterated the next time I went out. Mostly we cleared it for d'Arcy- with his hind end these days he can't really deal with deep snow anymore.
I remember when he could bomb through the snow. 

This morning I had to carve a path to the barn again-the snow was up to my thighs. I never even questioned what I was doing. While this is the weather that makes me long for an indoor I am happy to have them home rather than worrying about them at a boarding facility and feeling guilty that I can't help the BO.
you can see that the wind has made deep drifts and then nothing.
The path I carved is deep- the ground slopes towards the house which
makes the photo deceptive
 After feeding the horses I went back into the house to load up on caffiene. Ed used the tractor to clear the paddock so I could let the horses out. A strand of my fence had come undone as well and I had to trudge through the snow to fix it. When Ed had the small paddock cleared I let them out. They moved around the small area snorting and trotting. I then started to work on clearing a rough path to the bigger field. It took a while while Irish supervised watched closely 'hurry up!'
not sure if you can see the path but for perspective the fence posts are over 4 feet
After a quick inspection Irish ran out to the field. Carmen decided to carve her own path through the drift. 



I think that Carmen might be learning to enjoy snow: 





She was pretty adorable prancing up to me and then stopping to look at me wide eyed with snow on her nose (sorry no photo or video). 
Wow, this is a lot of snow. And it's kinda fun! 

As Ed continues to plow out the driveway and I am getting ready to go back out and shovel I am struck by what we're willing to do for the creatures we love. I am not alone. My FB feed is full of updates shovelling snow and getting the horses out. 

If it's not love then it might just mean that we're crazy. And that couldn't be it. 

I am sure that Irish and Carmen appreciate it. Right? Right?




25 comments:

  1. Even though I can complain about the weather with the best of them, I wouldn't want to live anywhere without distinct seasons. The horses playing & kicking up snow is a treat to watch.
    Snuggle up to your good man & keep each other warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the 4 seasons too. I could do with a bit less snow though....

      Delete
    2. I freaking hate four seasons, I must say! 10 years here in 4-seasons land and I'm ready for my 10 months of rain per year home city. I will also admit I enjoyed experiencing 4 seasons the first time though, when it was new. And there is nothing as wonderful as SPRING in 4-seasons land.

      Delete
  2. Brrrrr, that looks rough! Glad Carmen is starting to enjoy the snow though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's warmer now that it's snowed then it was last week!

      Delete
  3. I'm sure they appreciate it. Lucy was very suspicious of snow (coming from Southern California) but then thought it was fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to see her getting used to it and having a bit of fun.

      Delete
  4. Ha Carmen in the second video just cracks me up. Glad they are enjoying all your hard work

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's gotta be love or we'd all pack up and move to Cuba for the winter.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snow does make a lot of extra work but it's worth it to watch the horses having fun. Our horses seem to like it and they're kind of cute when they get out into the snow and kick up their heels a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ready for spring though. The work seems so much less in the summer...

      Delete
  7. That's a lot of snow! Winter hit all at one time it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE the video of her playing in the snow :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omg that snow on her nose is too much

    ReplyDelete
  10. I seriously would get depressed with all that snow! I don't know how you do it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we haven't had much up to now so I think I will be okay!

      Delete
  11. Wow. That is a LOT of snow. And you're right, that's love right there! Nothing made me appreciate Mike like our record breaking blizzard the other winter *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that winter- the worst one we've had.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.