dancing horses

dancing horses

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Potential

It's been interesting- now that Steele is 3 he's starting to show how he'll mature. The other day in the snow I got a new favourite photo of him:


I think that it shows his potential for dressage. When I look at this I see a horse that's naturally uphill and has a natural self carriage. When I observe his gaits from the ground they look to be comfortable. His temperament is bold without being brash, lovable and he has a level of pride that won't allow him to suffer fools.

All I need to do is not ruin it.

I know that we'll have good moments, bad moments, brilliant moments and brilliantly awful moments. I am not a seasoned dressage trainer who's competed on numerous horses at a national level. I am a middle aged woman with her 3rd horse.

And do you know what? That's okay. I'll seek out help to back him and regular instruction. I won't be perfect all the time but I will always try to be perfect.

And I think that it will be fine.

4 comments:

  1. It will be fine... and fun. :D
    I'd be excited about that photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That description of yourself sounds familiar. What a beautiful photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is lovely! I have a 3 yr old too. It's fun to watch them grow and change and wonder if they'll become the horse you want. It is definitely a bit of a gamble. But a good feeling to know you were there to help shape them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "All I need to do is not ruin it." My sentiments exactly!! I'm hoping I don't ruin Chrome. I had so hoped to have help from my trainer by now, but I just can't afford it right now with the move and building the house. Keeping my fingers crossed our old house sells soon so things will get easier.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.