dancing horses

dancing horses

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Oh the Carnage!

After a weeks reprieve, winter has returned to Eastern Canada. Last night we had a winter storm. I woke up at 5 a.m. and realized that the power had gone out. I checked with my cell phone and saw that the power company was predicting that it would be back on around 8 a.m. I set my phone as an alarm and went back to sleep.

When the alarm went off I got up and headed out to the barn. I couldn't pick out the stalls until I let the horses out. So while they were eating I grabbed my camera and took a few shots:

the view from the road

This red breasted nuthatch was grumpy because he thought I was late with his seeds.

as you can see the snow was heavy on the trees and wires - hence the power outage.


I headed back and let the horses out. I picked out their stalls but the power still hadn't come back on. I decided to stay outside and play a bit. So, in fit of exuberance I built the horses a companion:
I didn't have a carrot for a nose so I used an apple for the eyes.

It's been at least 20 years since I built a snowman. Naturally Steele was curious. Initially he hung behind me and eyed this new intruder. But then his natural bravery took over. Irish was on his heels.
what the heck is this?


 They quickly discovered the apples. After that the poor snowman didn't last too long. See d'Arcy's look of horror. He better be careful! 

While Steele decapitated the snowman, Irish ate his arms.
A few paws later and the snowman was no more.

I decided to head back into the house. As I headed in I saw a scene that made me laugh out loud. d'Arcy my BC was laying outside the fence 'herding' the horses. Steele had his nose down blowing on his face but d'Arcy completely ignored him. Steele pulled his head back and looked at the dog. He then spied the snow crusted on the fence. He cocked his head a bit and then reached his nose out and bopped it. A large clump of snow fell and plopped on d'Arcy's head. Looking pleased with himself Steele pranced off.

I headed back into the house and back into bed where it was warm. I checked and now the power was expected to be off until noon. So Ed and I headed into town to find a restaurant for breakfast. We do have a generator but it didn't seem worth it to hook it up for such a short time.


4 comments:

  1. These photos are gorgeous. They do make an inconvenient snowstorm look idyllic.

    Poor snowman. Naughty Steele made me lol too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos! ...and silly horses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- great shots! I'm missing the snow this year we have had hardly any!! Although with no snow or ice on the ground it makes for a chance for me to get more riding in. .... now to just squeeze in some time away from the baby and make it happen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha good fun Steele! Poor pup. I LOVE the pictures! They are so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.