dancing horses

dancing horses

Monday, April 29, 2013

Spring has sprung

My mother used to have this rhyme at this time of year:
spring has sprung
the grass is riz
I wonder where
the birdies is?
Not sure where it came from but this time of year I have it rattle around my brain for a while. 

With spring comes grass. We currently have 2 paddocks and I've been letting them eat down the one while the grass comes in. Once it's established I will move them over and reseed the old one. There is a plan for the 3rd (and largest) pasture that should be fenced in the next couple of weeks. Once that is done I can rotate. 

In the meantime I have been hand grazing them so that they are used to the grass and won't colic when I move them over. Today when I came home from work I decided to open the gate to the new paddock so they could have about an hour of grass while I did chores. 

 New spring grass for horses is like chocolate. The is how they look eating grass:

Once I opened the gate I went to their paddock and called. Steele came right away and followed me in. He immediately dropped his head and hoed in. Irish, however, got lost. 

He couldn't figure out how to navigate through the small paddock to the one with the grass:
help! I can't get at the grass, Steele help!
I had to go back through and lead him to the grass. 


He is special.

On another note, Ed and his friend spent this weekend fencing the riding ring:

You know what this means, don't you? I can start some liberty work with Steele!

1 comment:

  1. Yay fenced arena!!!!! Yay for liberty work!!!! So exciting!

    Oh yeah, grass is awesome too lol. I got a little distracted. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.