dancing horses

dancing horses

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Photos of our lunge session

This week a dear friend came for a visit. She is also a brilliant photographer so I asked her to take some photos of our lunging sessions. We do this about 2-4 times per week for no more then 20 minutes. Most of it  is walk and some trot. I've introduced the idea of cantering once or twice but mostly I just am looking to install the concepts of listening to me and 'who'. I love how fast he is catching on and he's stretching very nicely over his back. His walk overtracks by a least one hoof length and his trot is lovely and forward. I can see that there's some great potential in them but I not asking for anything more. He's so adorable now that he's figured out the 'whoa'. He halts (pretty squarely too), arches his neck and looks at me with such pride.

There is lots of time.

he just finished a bit of a scoot and is looking quite impressed with himself


still working on keeping the circle round. 
his colour is interesting, that's for sure
I love this one.
 "Am I really the smartest horse you've ever seen?"
"of course darling. Of course." 
all done
'hey where are you going? We're not done are we? hey, can I have another carrot?"

8 comments:

  1. He is soooo cute! How tall is he? He looks huge lol. :) I'm glad you're having so much fun with your boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. I really am. Right now he's about 15'2.

      Delete
    2. So he's Chrome's height already! You lucky dog lol. I really hope Chrome broadens out a little because right now he still feels too small for my long legs (I'm 5'11"). I still love him the same no matter how tall he gets though. :D

      Delete
  2. Those are really cool photos. He looks very fancy in the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. he thinks that he's pretty fancy.

      Delete
  3. He looks gorgeous, especially in the "pleased with himself" picture.

    Harley was not as young as Steele when I got him, but he could not canter on the longe (only run like a maniac). I spent a lot of time in walk and trot and then the canter slowly got better. I used it as a test from time to time to see where he was in his balance. Once Steele is really comfortable with the shape of the circle, his balance will follow. I suspect that he is a fast learner. Just look at that face!

    You are going to have so much fun with him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. I am completely biased but I like how he looks too!

      Delete
  4. Love how he looks in the last picture! Nice!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.