dancing horses

dancing horses

Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Look Ma, No Hands

 Summer is speeding along and the weather has been mostly nice. Ed and I went away for a week to Newfoundland. It was a great trip, I highly recommend everyone go. We ate a lot and hiked a lot and explored. It was lovely to get away just the two of us. 

The view from a hike just outside St. John's

About a week before we were to leave I saw a juvenile rooster at the end of our driveway. I suspect he was dumped. I started leaving food out for him and set out a live trap but he was too canny for that and every night he would disappear into the ditch. I tried to find his roosting spot at night but was unsuccessful. Everyday he spent a little more time with the girls. Right before we were to leave I spied him with them in the run and I quickly and stealthily snuck up and shut the door. I had the farm sitter leave them locked up for a few days so he got used to his new home.  I have to say he's settled in quite nicely and appears to be particularly fond of Thelma. We never wanted a rooster but what can you do? 

From left to right: Henry, Natasha and Thelma

When we got back the horses and I picked right up where we left off.  After such a successful clinic I decided to take the plunge and entered Quaid into the show at the end of the month. We're signed up for Intro A & B, which are walk-trot tests in the small ring (20x40). I am okay to scratch if things feel like too much but I think we can do it. I'm not fussed about the score or satin, it's really just to show him his job. 

Last Sunday I was able to sign up both horses for a lesson with Jane. We started with Quaid and it was amazing. I don't have media because my phone only has enough juice for about 90 minutes recording so I decided to save it for Carmen's. 

Jane was clear that I tend to freeze when I ride Quaid. And she's right, I worry so much about doing the wrong thing that I do nothing. Which isn't, surprisingly enough, helpful. Jane had me ride Quaid forward. Which was a lot faster than I thought. Our trot felt really fast but it wasn't.  Jane was on me to use my feel so when I ask him to go forward I don't push too much. I, of course, screwed that up a few times but Jane just had us roll with it. We did a lot of canter and, because he was forward int he trot,  it felt more balanced than it has.  I was in a light seat and kept my hands down and it felt good. I was actually sorry that I didn't have video. 
the best boy

Then it was Carmen's turn. This lesson blew my mind a little. Jane wanted me to ride with little contact and use my seat and legs to bend her. It was hard to not take the inside rein. Like impossible. I don't know why Jane doesn't get really frustrated with me but she just keeps reminding me. At one point I actually dropped the reins to prevent myself. But Jane told me not to do that, I needed to have the reins and keep my hands forward. 

look at her carrying herself with a loose rein


Carmen was really intrigued by this lesson and was really good. I doubt we could have done this last year and definitely not two years ago. She'd have taken the loose rein as permission to dodge all over the place.  Transitions were to be without pressure on the reins.  in the photo below we were coming from canter to trot with the loose rein. Look at her going forward and reaching under. 


Here are some videos if you want to see:



I get such a kick out of Jane's triumphant 'HA' when Carmen just gives these lovely transitions.  Once again we jump forward in our work and it feels so good. 


15 comments:

  1. oooh so exciting about Quaid's upcoming debut! he sounds like he's coming along so nicely <3 and also, yea that lesson with Carmen sounds a bit like a mind melter haha, but like a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking great! Newfoundland looks so beautiful (as do all the maritime provinces). And what a lucky rooster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was stunning. You should definitely visit.

      Delete
  3. I think the rooster will be happy he was dumped off at your place!
    Quaid sounds so uncomplicated for a young horse. Hope he aces trhe show!
    Carmen, of course, looks quite magnificent and yay for not taking advantage of the looser rein with her old tricks. She has come a long way in the last couple of years with your consistent lessons and greater confidence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He seems pretty happy. Still a little wary which is understandable. Carmen and I are in a pretty solid place and it feels good.

      Delete
  4. So nice you were able to get away for a little bit! New rooster sounds like a lovely addition!
    I always feel like I'm going too fast on a green horse. I think because you don't yet have connection so it feels like the energy is just squirting out. I'm so excited for Quaid's horse show debut! I bet he'll be wonderful.
    I'm really impressed with the loose rein lesson on Carmen! You have both come so far together, and that really shows it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He’s quite adorable. Hopefully he won’t be aggressive as he ages. Squirting sounds exactly right on a green horse.

      Delete
  5. The only two provinces I haven't been to are PEI and Newfoundland. (Fun fact - my ancestors were some of the early settlers in PEI arriving around 1795.) One day I'll make it out there!
    Carmen was so rhythmic through that work! Makes it much easier to stay soft when they aren't ping-ponging around!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought I’d left a comment on this post, but probably read it, then had to run before commenting. Very good work with both horses, and I’m excited to hear how it goes with Quaid. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.