dancing horses

dancing horses

Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Big Steps for the Baby Genius

Last weekend I loaded up the horses to take to another clinic.  This time it was with Johanna Batista, the trainer who comes from Spain (although in this case it was Portugal because she has moved). I have taken many clinics with Johanna over the years and have gotten a lot out of them. Covid stopped them for the past three years and I honestly thought that might be it. But Karen and Stacie arranged for her to come this year. 

I had originally thought that Carmen and I would be riding in it but after thinking a bit I had a different idea. I decided that this would be a great opportunity for Quaid. I have done a lot of work with him but there's only so far I could get when I am usually all by myself. I know that Johanna has a lot of experience starting young horses and there would be people there to assist. I thought it would be a great chance to move things forward and also to identify holes in our training. 


Looking so grown up right? :D 

There were three sessions starting on Friday. We did a lot of ground work. And, to my eternal embarrassment, I totally allowed him to invade my space and flip me off. Like I know better but totally froze in the moment. The first part was pretty much a repeat of the work I did with Danique a few weeks ago. Sigh. My problem is that he's basically sweet so I let things slide. I made a resolution to do better. 

We worked on flexions and lining up at the mounting block. Like you would expect with a three year old he was easily distracted in this new place but did not do anything horrible. Lining up and standing at the mounting block took a few trials but we go there. 

Karen led him while Johanna gave us feedback. He was really good about all of it. 





It was  great first day. 

Our lesson was the next morning. This time Quaid was feeling a lot more sassy. I think it was because of me setting the boundaries and him asking me a lot of questions about them. 

Quaid: you're not the boss of me.... are you? 

In the end we decided that it was not a good day to ride. Instead we focussed on the groundwork and getting him tuned in. I would have liked to have ridden but not too bummed out. I totally get you deal with the horse you have on the day. 

Guess who's nose was out of joint about this clinic being all about Quaid? 

Yup, Carmen. She was not approving of this development. You can see her expression in the back. 

Carmen: what is this new outrage?
Quaid: it's all about meeee

I made sure on Saturday I rode her at lunch time and she seemed to be appeased. Especially when I turned them out in the afternoon. 



Sunday we were early as well. I could tell when I brought him out to groom that he was back to his normal sweet self. 

We spent some time on ground work and then getting him to line up at the mounting block. It was interesting, he would line up but as soon as I flexed him he'd step away. I'd ask him to come back and he got quite rude about it, pushing into me on the block. The first time I thought it was a mistake. By the third time I realised he was pushing me around so I kneed him in the belly. After that he settled significantly. 

I mounted and Karen led us around again while I focussed on using my seat to follow him. As soon as my seat would follow his ear would come back to me. Even though there were birds making weird noises on the roof. Then I played with using my seat to steer and ask him to whoa. 

Here's a video of near the end:


It was a great note to end with. I learned a lot from this clinic:

1. I need to be clear on boundaries and expectations. 
2. We still need to work on him learning how to deal with getting excited and being able to come back down. 
3.  Quaid is still incredibly smart. 
4. I may need a different bit. He was quite chompy with it. I need to determine if that was just an expression of nerves or if we need something else. 
5. I need to work more on him lining up and standing at the mounting block. 

My biggest takeaway is that I will be sending him off in the new year for professional training. He's very smart and sensitive. Because I am alone it limits how much I can do. So it's worth it to pay a trainer to get him going. I did that with Steele and I believe it's money well spent. 

Quaid: was I good? I think I was good. 






20 comments:

  1. ok i wasn't exactly hovering over my feed reader after seeing this video pop up in my feed buuuuuut --- omg so excited for you! what a wonderful first experience, and i love your takeaways. your #1 in that list above is my #1 with my new horse right now too, it's just... ya know... the STUFF. also appreciate your plan to invest in professional training, will be looking forward to your insights and observations from that process too! overall, congrats on some big firsts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It’s a big step for me to send my horse away but I have time to get used to it and to set up something for Carmen.

      Delete
  2. The best baby genius! What a great experience! Sounds like a solid plan to get some pro rides in for the early days. It is hard to train a baby horse when you're on your own most of the time. Even the older ones, it's a challenge. Excited to watch Quaid become a riding horse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a productive clinic and a good plan going forward. He is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he’s cute. It’s nice to have it validated

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! And what courage to do first rides in a clinic format! Im guessing you are long-driving him with same bit and he is not chompy? Good luck! Bit shopping is almost as hard as saddle shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I am quite impressed with how he handled it all. I'm not convinced the bit is uncomfortable. I worked him today and he was only chompy when I irritated him. So not sure yet.

      Delete
  5. I am in possession (or possessed by) a very cute and sweet Azteca gelding. My trainer has warned me multiple times that he's too cute for his own good. He is really well meaning, but he's still a greenie and is capable of greenie shenanigans. He just looks at you with those big brown eyes and "Awwww" is the only answer you can think of. His name is "Puffin" so I've taken to calling him "Puff the Magic Dragon" to remind myself that, although most of the time he's magic, there's still a dragon in there sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh poor Carmen.... she had to play second fiddle!
    I like that you took the clinic with Quaide- being another person who rides/handles horses mostly alone, I know how valuable it is to have assistance with those baby shenanigans, as well as affirming when they are good. Those first rides and boundary settings are important.
    I will enjoy following your journey with him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she did not enjoy not being the centre of attention! I was thinking of you and how you do most of it alone. I don't have your confidence!

      Delete
  7. I'm so excited for you! Also, how is he three already? I've been creeping his breeder's page ever since you bought him, they have the most gorgeous horses but I think you got the best one <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see they're foals and I am glad (and sad) that I don't have a bigger barn and pocket book. :)

      Delete
  8. #2 is something we are focusing on as well. Professional training is great for setting the foundation. It’s a bonus if you can work with the trainer while he’s there. I didn’t get to do that enough when Tumbleweed went away the last time. My life was too busy. But it sure helps to be on the same page before you bring them home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping to be able to go there frequently. Being retired should make it easier

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.