dancing horses

dancing horses

Monday, July 31, 2023

Mid Summer Lull

 After a flurry of activity this spring (clinics, lessons, a show), things have been quiet. 

lush pastures with all the rain

This was deliberate based on finances. With the vet bill, saving for a new saddle and just trying to be fiscally responsible with my decreased income from retirement, I decided to not do too many things this summer. 

It is impossible to be bored though when you own a property with horses. It's been pretty much raining since early June. We had a torrential rainstorm about 2 weeks ago in which 3 months of rain fell in 12 hours. It was horrible and a few people died being swept away when rivers burst their banks. We actually fared well so I am grateful. 


my drainage worked so the barn didn't flood but it was close. 
Quaid is probably wondering how he's going to come out



driveway needed some work


this is a daybed that usually has water with the spring runoff


My ring was impacted quite a bit. I lost a lot of rubber and spent some time raking and putting it back (4 tractor bucket loads). 
what wasn't washed away was pounded to a hard finish

Quaid at liberty playing in the water. 

My ring drains really well but the puddles stayed for about 5 days. Despite the heat wave that followed the storm.  But after lots of dragging and adding in sand my ring is back to normal. 

Much better. 

It's nice to have the time to work on things. 

The bigger issue is hay. With all the wet cutting hay has been impossible. We were told that we were getting some last week. I told them that we were really low but I was assured I'd get some. I called on Wednesday because I hadn't heard and was told that they had given all to someone else. It seems that this person showed up with lots of trailers and took it all. I was pissed because I didn't have any hay so they let me come and take some out of the barn. However, it looks like I'm getting the hay in the next few days so phew. I'm so happy that I have grass pastures. It has really saved me. I will be so relieved when my barn is full of hay. When I boarded I never gave it a thought.  Now every plan is made with the caveat that I might have to cancel to get hay. 

Ah well, enough whining. The horses are doing great. Carmen is looking fit and feeling fine. Quaid is continuing to be his sweet self- taking things in stride. Our ground driving is looking really good. It's been hot so a lot of my afternoons are spent sitting on the deck reading a book and sipping a beverage. It's a good way to enjoy the summer. 













14 comments:

  1. that is a seriously crazy amount of rain -- so glad most of your facilities fared well enough! it's been a bit backwards around these parts too, our spring was exceptionally dry to the point where everything was brown and rust colored by early june and we were pretty worried about late summer... but actually, we've gotten kinda a nice amount of rain since then and everything is lush and green again, go figure. hopefully your hay situation gets resolved asap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May was very dry. Then the rain started and would not stop!

      Delete
  2. Ah I was wondering how you fared with all that rain. Sounds like it was pretty devastating for many.
    Mornings are the best in summer whether it's rain or sun. Here it gets really humid and hot in the afternoon, unless it's cloudy and then that's when there's thunderstorm warnings. But it sure is pretty with all that green and growing stuff.
    Rather annoying that you didn't get the hay when promised, I think it's pretty much an every person for themselves attitude when it comes to hay this year, not just where yo are but here too. Some areas got drought, some got hail.
    Cooler weather is only a month away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s been rough with fires and then flooding. Expecting locusts next. 😀 and I understand that getting hay off the field can be a bit of a battle. Normally my hay guy keeps us all in line.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you fared alright - it looked scary there. We're in the opposite situation with no rain since I think May, so the first cut hay was cut too dry in June and it sounds like that's going to be it for the year. We're going to be importing from irrigated fields in the US, which seems crazy. The one worry with boarding is that I expect right about now everyone is getting a giant bill increase, with hay being so scarce/expensive. You can't win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it’s hard everywhere. With the boarding comment I meant that I didn’t appreciate the barn owners and their worry enough.

      Delete
  4. That weather sounds like something else. Glad you are able to get hay though and you are enjoying your afternoons on your deck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it’s all first world problems really.

      Delete
  5. It’s tough in bad hay years. I hope they got rain to put out all those fires that were causing so much smoke in the east.

    Glad to see your place didn’t completely float away! Looks like it was easily put back right.

    Very sad that lives were lost though.

    I understand wanting to save money and stay home. Staycations are great. We’re doing the same thing this year due to the barn project and other issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a tough year for hay. But that’s how farming goes.

      Delete
  6. I feel you when it comes to the hay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh, the rain has been crazy this summer! It hasn't been too terrible where I live, but just north of us had a lot of flooding. And where my brother lives in VT, their town was badly flooded. I'm glad you made out okay other than some driveway and ring washout. Still added work you didn't need though! Also a nightmare about the hay. I'm still working off last fall's delivery, but I'm a little nervous what will be available when I need to replenish. I hope you get what you need to get through winter.
    Glad the horses are doing well!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.