dancing horses

dancing horses

Wednesday, March 22, 2023

The Gratitude Post

 


The weather is starting to ease up and it feels like spring is on it's way. This morning I was cleaning the stalls, the sun was shining and the birds were chirping (the chickens were also squawking for their treats). I looked out at my two horses enjoying the sunshine and their morning hay and I felt a wave of immense gratitude wash over me.  

I don't usually do those '30 days of gratitude' or other challenges. I do, however, recognize how much I have to be grateful for in my life. 

First of all my friends. Everyone was incredibly supportive. Paula who travelled to the island with me twice. Julia who also travelled with me and also has been there to help with nearly every single bandage change. When she couldn't Tanya stepped in. Karen and Jim gave me and Paula/Julia a soft place to land in PEI. The food, company and support helped me when I was at my lowest. Other friends reached out, checked in  and offered support in so many ways. I love you all. Truly. On Sunday Julia and Tanya came out to change the hoof dressing because they are going to do it while I am away. I stood back and let them go at it. Then they worked out their schedule. As I listened to them talk I realized I didn't have to organize this- they had it covered. It was a huge relief. 

Other friends have reached out to me through all of this. I literally had more offers for help then I could accommodate (but if you're all available at hay time let me know, lol). Let's not forget Wade who helped me get my trailer on the road! My readers have been so encouraging, here and on fb. All of these positive messages have made a huge difference in keeping me optimistic. 

my dressing change basket o' goodies

 Back when Ed was recovering from heart surgery he received a fruit basket. He was going to throw out the basket but I grabbed it. It's great to hold the things we need for the dressing change and I don't have to put them on the floor of the barn. It's been incredibly handy.

The vets- I am sure that they have saved Quaid's life. I know it's their job but honestly, they did more than that- they talked to me, supported me and returned phone calls. I don't know if you are familiar with the 'Not One More Vet' movement, to help prevent the increase in suicide of vet professionals. I would recommend listening to this interview with Dr. Chris White on the Canada Horse Podcast. He is open and honest about the demands and the burnout on our equine vets (and non-equine as well).  When I was at the teaching hospital to pick up Quaid, the assistant was guarded when she gave me the bill. Like she expected me to rant. The surgeon also reviewed the costs and was almost apologetic. 

Look, I know it's expensive. I used to call Quaid my retirement horse. Now I call him my 'retirement savings horse'. X-ray, surgical suites and all those things are pricey.  The ultrasound the vet uses is the same cost as for humans.  As pet/horse owners we are incredibly needy and we can't always see how it's sucking the life out of the people we need the most. When I would on-board new grads to our organization I always had the 'burn out talk'. Basically I told them that the role of clients and their family were to support their person, not the clinician. Our profession is important but it can suck you dry if you let it. I told them to find what refills them in their off hours and to not get sucked into giving all their time to the job. 


funny cartoon to break up wall of text

I believe that my local vets and the college saved Quaid. I can't imagine what would have happened had his puncture and infection remained untreated. So I pay the bills and cut back elsewhere. I am so thankful to the vets I had. 

I sent a photo of Quaid's hoof from Sunday to the college. The vet called me back and said that it looked amazing. And that we can dispose of the duct tape boot and wraps and use dry gauze. This is so amazing and made me so happy I almost cried. It seems that he really is on the road to recovery. 

The last thing I'm grateful for is Ed (and my superior husband-picking skills). He has been beside me through all of this. Not once has he balked at the care or costs of anything (although I am sure he winced). Now that things have thawed, today he's going to scrape out the small turn out to cut down on the mud out there. He really doesn't like me posting things about him so I try to avoid it but he's getting a special shout out today. 

so grateful to see these two

This is my last post for a few weeks. But I will catch up on everything when we get back! 




17 comments:

  1. so relieved for you that Quaid is recovering and things are getting back to normal. thank god for our people helping us when we need it most!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I'm the first one to say that people suck but man, the good ones are amazing.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad everything is looking up! It says a lot about you too, that there are so many people in your life wanting to support and help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thankyou. I try to be a good person but I'm sure I can also be pretty annoying.

      Delete
  3. The demand & struggle to meet it, in the medical profession (vet and otherwise) is real. Patience, understanding and appreciation go a long way. Not a solution, but can only help. So glad Quaid is doing well with his recovery. You certainly have surrounded yourself with the best professionals and caring friends. I love it when good things happen to good people! I am new-ish on your blog, but it isn't hard to tell the good eggs from the not so good eggs. Truly hope you enjoy a relaxing get-a-way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you. I worry that we will push the people we need out of the medical professions. It is very short sighted.

      Delete
  4. Grateful alongside you. Have a wonderful time away <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great when you can take your vacation and know that Quaid is in good hands! So good to hear he has vet approved improvement!
    Enjoy your time away !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you have such a supportive village. It's always in our darkest moments that we get to see how truly wonderful the people we surround ourselves with are.
    I agree with you about the vets. I never complain about a bill even if I have to figure out a creative way to get it covered. It's worth it for our four legged kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a lot to be grateful for! I am always shocked at how low our vet bills are compared to what they do. Our vets always cringe, too, and I think I always overestimate, so am usually pleasantly surprised. Haha.

    Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.