dancing horses

dancing horses

Friday, November 20, 2020

Escape

 We are now in the second wave of COVID -19 here. Now to be clear that means that there are now 28 active cases in our province which I know will boggle the mind of some of my readers. However, we've been taking this virus seriously since it's beginning and restrictions are ramping up. 

Which means my work has been ramping up. I've been doing a lot of OT and there has not been much time to squeeze riding in. I had a lesson last weekend, then rode Sunday and I didn't have a  chance to ride again until Friday. 

an old photo I used for the #drop_your_beautiful_horse_head_challenge
I love this photo of her

In the past I would have fretted at the lack of riding in terms of the loss of training time. Not anymore. Instead I was just really missing sitting in the saddle and just enjoying the ride. So friday I was determined to ride no matter what. Julia came out to join me and the weather was mild after a midweek deep freeze. 

Carmen was definitely feeling energetic. In the cross ties she was a bit cranky but, like Emma says, on a scale of 1-10 Carmen is typically at 11. I mounted in the ring and she pinned her ears and threatened to hump. In the past I would have shortened up the reins and considered getting off to lunge. I would definitely have made Irish go first. 

Now I just drop the reins and sit quietly. 

Carmen: I am going to blow. 

Me: okay

Carmen: I mean it. You are in big trouble. 

Me: do what you gotta do. 

Carmen:  you are no fun anymore. 

I just walked her on a loose rein in circles until Julia and Irish were ready. Then we headed out, Carmen leading. 

Poor Carmen- in our lesson I made
her canter through puddles

We're gaining a ton of confidence on the trail. This time we startled a grouse who startled us. But the spook was a small jump, a stop and then carry on. Another funny thing about the trail is that she knows it really well. When we get to the fork where we can loop again or head to the ring she hurries to redo the loop and hope I go along with it. Often I do. When I do insist we go to the ring she sighs but listens. 


Carmen: seriously, are we eventers now? 

In the ring her energy came out and so we went forward into trot and keeping her mind busy with lots of leg yields, changes of direction, transitions etc. There was the occasional argument- I've learned to stand my ground without emotion so that she figures out the line. The line is not fuzzy. If I ask for a bend and she stiffens against it I add pressure (and spur to be honest) until I get the bend then I soften everything. After a few of these, um, discussions, she gets easier and easier. 

working through


As far as schooling goes it was a good working session. But that wasn't the point. What I really enjoyed was being out, breathing in the fresh fall air and feeling the movement of a horse underneath of me. The stress of the world just drops away and it feels so good. 

I love this mare guys

After Julia helped me with some chores around the barn. One of my chickens kept me company following me around. I don't know where the other three were and I kept expecting her to leave. When I sat down on the trunk she hopped up beside me and we had a little chat. I honestly never expected to find these little creatures so charming. 

should we discuss dressage or
the benefits of more sunflower seeds?

I honestly don't know how people without animals deal with life stress. I find that this little farm and the residents keep me grounded. 

And happy. 


21 comments:

  1. I love the bridle in that headshot (I also own an Andalusian). Have you ever shared what brand it is? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I love it too. It’s a Flexible Fit from Australia. You can build a bridle to match your horse’s measurements. https://journeywithadancinghorse.blogspot.com/2019/11/flexible-fit-bridle-review.html

      Delete
  2. Magic! Glad to see you enjoying the grousey moments of life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you conversation with her. You two are coming to a better understanding of each other, I think. I know how hard you have worked to get to this place. And what a beautiful horse she is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I chuckled at "you're no fun any more". And the chicken is quite charming <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chickens are highly amusing. Poor Carmen. The funny thing is that she starts grumpy and ends up feeling quite happy

      Delete
  5. I think Carmen will always be Carmen. But you’ve really dealt with her personality and won’t let her push your buttons any more. We’re in the second phase of Covid here too. If it wasn’t for the farm the animals and riding I’d be ready to pull my hair out by now. They keep us grounded and laughing and there’s not one worry when your riding about the rest of the world. Cute chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please do some photo editing to remove (blacken) the background on that most amazing photo of Carmen's face. I don't know how, or I'd do it for you. I love how you've made your drop noseband invisible, cuz in previous blogs you seem to have one. Hrm! Lovely bridle on a gorgeous horse. What a crest, my gosh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can do it , I was just being lazy. 😀 the flash band comes out so that’s why you dont see it here.

      Delete
  7. I relate to that last paragraph so hard. I truly don't understand how people survive life and all its stresses without such a good way to decompress ♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I think this is why we see so many people struggling, they have no way to decompress.

      Delete
  8. A big part of why I read your blog is because your farm and all the animals are a wonderful escape from the real world even virtually 😁 A coffee break well spent for me! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how your relationship has evolved. Great job working through the potential time bomb!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.