dancing horses

dancing horses

Sunday, March 29, 2020

Hideaway

Ed and I have been self-isolating for approximately 12 days. I've been working from home and it has been really really busy. At first it was stressful- trying to support my staff and work in these new circumstances. Not to mention the general anxiety around Covid-19 floating out there and the reported infections growing daily.

I was happy to have friday roll around. I needed to get horse feed so Ed and I got in the truck and headed to the feed store. I was looking forward to getting out. When I got to the feed store they were on full precautions. We waited in the truck until it was our turn. I went in and stood behind a line and gave my order. We had to pay by plastic (which I would have anyway), the clerk put plastic over it, stepped back and I stepped forward to pay. I then headed out to the truck to wait for it to be delivered.  Frankly, it was surreal and brought home how much things had changed.

the horses don't know that the world has changed though
More and more restrictions are in place- no gathering of more than 5 people, parks are closed and police are issuing tickets. I can only imagine how people with young children in apartments are doing. I feel profoundly grateful to have my little property.

The weather this weekend was beautiful. It allowed for a lot of chores to be done. We cleaned out the winters accumulation of poop and hay.

I know it's muddy but it makes me happy to see the poop all gone

The barns are closed to boarders and lessons and so when I dragged the ring I did it with recognition of my good fortune. 



I can go for a walk and not worry about social distancing.

willow has started to join our walks
I'm excited to be back to regular schooling. Riding is different. I miss lessons. I try to keep Shanea's voice in my head when I ride and I hope I'm not going to make too big a hash of things. Carmen is doing well. Earlier this week when I was working with her she was quite agitated. I realized that she was picking up on my stress and reacting. Once I realized it and calmed down she became more steady.

never tire of this view
I hope that things calm down and that the world can return to normal. I want people to be safe and,  selfishly,  I want to be able to go to shows, clinics and fun things. But, as places to have to stay, this little place is not too bad.





27 comments:

  1. I'm sure that the time, money and effort you have put into your place feels like it is paying off at the moment! You have a lovely set up - having to stay home shouldn't be too much of a hardship. Plus, you know, pony faces to see out your window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is paying off right now. I do love looking out my window and seeing the horses.

      Delete
  2. Hiding here too, but horseless. All boarding stables are on lockdown. Im glad thought because I dont want any of my barn family getting sick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and I are fortunate to have our horses on our own property. We only leave the property about once a week, to get groceries or hay/feed, and it does feel surreal. At home, things feel pretty normal — gardening, horses, etc. But the second we have to go somewhere (which we avoid as much as possible), it feels very strange.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are lucky to live out on property. I'm not sure how people handle it who don't. Our state parks were also closed, keeping me off the trails now. I got in quite a few rides last week while the sun shined. This week, since the closure, it has been cold and rainy. It all came at once, making everything seem extra gloomy. But spring is around the corner and this shut down is here to stay for a while. Thank goodness so many can work from home. We closed our public practice and moved to telehealth last year--a lucky move for us considering the timing of this. I don't feel a lot of hope about it since a vaccine is a year out, but who knows. We'll figure it out! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering how you were doing. I'm glad that you have telehealth as an option!

      Delete
  5. My only sanity through all this has been my little farm. I had to go to the gas station Friday and Wyatt needed to use h bathroom. When we went inside I saw that they had a sheet of plastic in front of the register to protect the teller. Everything is so odd now. Stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world is definitely different. I'm curious to see how it changes permanently when this is over.

      Delete
  6. It's definitely surreal. I'm certainly grateful to have my boys at home even if I don't have a place to ride. That said, I can't wait until I have the funds to move to a place with more acreage and a small ring. If I'm going to be at home, having a riding space would definitely be nice!

    Our feed store is doing curbside/dockside pickup. I bought 8 bags before restrictions went into place so I'm OK for a couple more weeks (though Nay is on bag 3 of 4, Subi is on bag 3 of 5... I had more of his around). So, we call in the order, pay over the phone, and then pull around to the loading dock to pick up. You shouldn't have to get out of the truck at all, but typically you do to give them your name and order. I did this for shavings and helped load but we were on opposite sides of the truck so it was OK. That's been my only trip out of the house in the last couple of weeks. I need to hit the pharmacy to pick up an RX but I can do drive thru. Everything else has been online orders (and my husband has done the groceries since I have respiratory issues). Such a strange world we live in...

    The boys need vaccines, but we're home alone and going no where for the time being so I'm holding off for now. If they're a few weeks late, fine. If I don't need to bring someone out, I won't. The vets now have all sorts of restrictions on the number of people who can be present at appointments and I'm not sure if it's one total or 1 per horse. It's just my husband and I, but it would be nice to have an extra hand... So if everyone has to wait, they wait a while longer. Again, no one is going anywhere anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be good when you can have your own ring. Our feedstore is doing that too. I just wasn't thinking before we went out. I will place the order by phone next time and load up.

      Delete
  7. I've never been quite so grateful for my own little barn and arena than now, as I see so many of my friends not able to even see their horses 😭

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be really hard to not see them! Plus you have goats.

      Delete
    2. Yes, my goats are a big plus right now. I'm keeping in touch with a lot of my team via text on top of the normal email so I usually start every day off with a silly goat photo or video, and they love it 😆 whatever I can do to provide a little levity!

      Delete
  8. Such strange times. Thankfully my feed place delivers, so I just call in, and it shows up. I ordered ahead, so by the time I have to touch anything, the bags should be safe to touch. My horses are still boarded, as my hay hasn't arrived yet. Hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome. Delivery is not an option here, unfortunately.

      Delete
  9. So surreal. I'm so grateful you've got your property to help keep you sane through this. Such a blessing to have your own piece of paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. aw Willow <3 your small private farm basically looks like paradise to me right now haha, i'm glad you're finally getting nice weather to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love this place. Willow is adorable- I always think she's a kitten even though she's 2!

      Delete
  11. I'm so grateful to be able to be in the country. I can't imagine being stuck in New York in an apartment with kids. That's gotta be tense at times. Glad we've got our farms to keep us sane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that would be hell- to be in an apartment with children.

      Delete
  12. Like you, I am grateful for my little farm and my blessings. So strange when I do go out for groceries, how little traffic on the roads and how few people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is eerie! I'm glad you have your farm. Stay safe!

      Delete
  13. You really do have such a beautiful place to stay!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.