dancing horses

dancing horses

Sunday, March 25, 2018

Where does the Time Go?

March 24th marked the third anniversary of when Carmen became a Canadian.
The first time she and Irish met
There have been so many ups, downs and in-betweens.

so much has changed since then (Spring 2015)
The weather was cooperative and the footing in the ring was really good- there was a layer of snow on top to make it extra fluffy. I started with lunging her and she found something quite spooky at the end down by the woods. it was interesting- she started with a spook and bolt. Despite trying really hard to listen it was just too much. But once I walked down that way she was quite happy to follow me. 

Closest I can get to a comparison (March 2018).
Clearly I suck at getting comparison photos

Once things were settled I hopped on. It was a ride of ups and downs- she was clearly spooked by the far end. I really couldn't see what it was but I think it was the snow on the trees blowing off. I didn't mind so much- we just worked at being calm and forward. There were some really good moments and some big spooks. I had to appreciate the irony of her having happy/floppy ears through troll corner and tense/tight through a different area. 
from my first ride on her at home


from this fall

I was working on our stretch walk across the diagonal. It was pretty good towards troll corner but not so good going towards P. I was determined to give the rein though and I did. She did one big spook spin going back to the safe zone. I simply gathered up the reins, brought her around the corner again and asked her to stretch again. It was never a good stretch but I never gave up on it either so yay me.

It was interesting, I was reading a post by a person I know only through FB and she was talking about how her horse makes her be authentic and face her own inner demons. It really resonated with me and inspired me to write this in response: 
"This is beautiful. Carmen made me face myself and my grief so that I could be whole. I think that was why we chose each other. I don’t know if I would have recognized her brokenness if I hadn’t been broken myself. We needed each other on a level that I have never felt with another horse. I know it sounds all mystical but it’s really not and there was a lot of blood, sweat and tears in our journey together. It was hard. But I am a stronger, more self aware person then I was three years ago and she’s a big reason. I thought I’d share so you know you’re not alone"

It has been a big journey- I have grown in confidence and self-awareness in riding Carmen. The difference in the two of us is not so much in the riding but in the every day interactions. We are comfortable with each other and she no longer seems worried about my reactions. I find that I expect her to act sensibly and she does. When she's worried she looks to me to see if it's okay (need to get that when she can't 'see' me in the saddle too). 

Often I'm in the barn and look up to see this
She's part of the family. 



23 comments:

  1. 💕 I can't believe it's been 3 years. You and Carmen have come so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am surprised how fast the time has gone.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful gotcha post. It's hard to let go of past pain and move forward in trust and good faith. Great job on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not easy and not always a clear path. Without the encouragement of my friends (including blogger friends) I'm not sure I would have gotten as far.

      Delete
  3. So touching - I'm glad you and Carmen found each other <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad too. I tell Carmen that she should be very glad. :)

      Delete
  4. Happy three year ‘Horseaversary’! You and Carmen have forged a wonderful relationship and there’s only more good times to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is amazing that it has been three years!! You have both come so far together and it has been wonderful to follow your journey. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really enjoyed having the support of everyone.

      Delete
  6. Such a beautiful post! You are a great team <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. You two have been such a great match and I have really enjoyed reading along as you both progress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. aw i love this <3 i've really really enjoyed following the progress of your and Carmen's partnership. it's pretty amazing to see how much you two have grown together and developed, and how important trust building has been in the process. she's such a cool mare and is lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've loved following you and Charlie along too.

      Delete
  9. Couldn't imagine life without the good ones. She's a good one; so are you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a journey <3

    Happy 3 years :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy anniversary!! What an incredible ride for you two. I’m glad she was there to help you heal. They’re good at that. ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.