dancing horses

dancing horses

Friday, March 23, 2018

Weather Beaten

Yesterday we were hit with yet another Nor'Easter. The original forecast had it starting Weds night and being over by Thursday morning. We were supposed to get mostly rain.

It seems that Mother Nature does not like to be predictable because it started late Thursday morning and we were hammered with snow. Normally I would leave work early to avoid the worst but it was my last day before my 'use it or lose it' vacation and I had a ton of work to do. I ended up working a bit later then planned.
not fun. Winter can piss right off
Fortunately Ed was home and brought the horses in when it got bad. Not that they needed persuasion- they had been hunkered in their stalls anyway.

Upon heading entering the barn I was greeted with grumpy horses and stalls that looked like I hadn't picked them out in a week (honestly I had done them in the morning).


Irish: Thank heavens you're home. This is an OUTRAGE. I've been in my stall all afternoon. I am a TB, I need my FREEDOM. 

Me: Actually you are half QH. Plus all he did was shut the door- you were already hiding in your stall. 

Carmen: And I'm starving. I can see the hay but there's NONE in my stall. Call the SPCA. 

d'Arcy: you need to let the horses out so I can help you bring them in. 

Me: I'm pretty sure that you had hay. You ate it all. 

Irish: Don't you dare deny me my heritage. I identify as all TB thank you very much. Plus you are missing the point- the male servant took my choice away. It's fine if I decide to stay in. It's totally not cool for him to make the decision for me. 

Carmen:  Not one stalk of hay was given to me. You can see for yourself. 

d'Arcy:  that's my job after all. 

Irish: Carmen! Stay on topic- it's about us being prisoners, not you turning yourself into a hippo. 

Carmen:  HOW DARE YOU! I am Rubenesque not some scrawny thing. 

Me: Okay okay you two. Knock it off. Carmen, I will get you more hay. Irish you are in until morning. 

I brought Carmen out into the aisle and parked a wheelbarrow of hay in front of her while I cleaned her stall. 

d'Arcy:  yes, put her out. You can't bring them in without me. It's a rule. 

Carmen: this is more like it. *nom nom nom* You should put this in my stall not that horrible hay net contraption. 

Irish: Morning? Morning? Good lord woman have you lost your mind? I want to go OUTSIDE. This is UNACCEPTABLE. 

Me: Not gonna happen sunshine. It's still snowing and blowing out there. 

my woods after the storm

Carmen: Oh Irish *nom* lighten up.*nom* It's all fine now*nom*. Have you started getting our dinner ready yet? 

Guinness:  Look I found this stick. Isn't it awesome? Doesn't it just make you want to throw it again and again and again? 

Irish:  No, she's lallygagging in the stall and playing with that dog. 

someone loves the snow anyway
Me: I'm going as fast as I can. There princess your stall is clean, I've put in fresh shavings, topped up your hay and freshened your water. 

Carmen: Wait, bring that hay buffet in here! I liked it. 

I bring Irish out and park him by the wheelbarrow. He immediately knocks hay out of it and onto the floor where he picks through it like a food critic who found a hair in his creme brûlée. 

d'Arcy:  ok, leave the grey one in but bring out the brown one. I'm ready to help you. 

Irish: don't you have anything better? I'm really not sure of the quality of hay this year. It's lacking the fresh green flavour that I love. 

Me: Well there's nothing I can do about that- the grass will come in on it's own schedule. 

Irish: Excuses. You're not trying that's what I think. I want to go back in my stall. 

Me: Not yet I'm not done yet. 

Irish:  It really is awful the way you keep taking away my freedom of choice. I'm going to lodge a formal complaint. 

Guinness: Stick stick stick. THROW THE STICK. Pleeeaaassse. 

Me: Who with? 

Irish: I haven't figured that out yet. But when I do you'll be in big trouble missy. 

at least I got to snowshoe today.

Me: There, all clean. Okay Irish you can go back in your stall. 

Irish: good thing- I was just going to get feisty. 

Me: heaven forbid. 

I got their dinner ready and they both seemed much happier.  I then headed into the house to make dinner for Ed. It was his birthday and our rule is that you don't need to cook on your birthday. I had picked up some samosas and pakoras on the way home (best time to go to the grocery store is during a storm) and made a red curry. 

This morning I strapped on my snowshoes to take Guinness for a walk (d'Arcy can't handle the snow anymore). 

Guinness showing off how much faster he is in the snow

The woods were like a cathedral. I am always so grateful
for this small patch of forest that I own. 

I figure that if it had to storm it was best on the day I had to work. Now I have 11 glorious days in front of me to enjoy.







SaveSave
SaveSave

14 comments:

  1. The snow is hard on Scout too. I had a neighbor snowmobile a path for us in the hayfield, and that helps Scout. I know what that is like when everyone wants food immediately! I face that every morning with my sheep, chickens, cattle, and Scout!! Everyone else is patient. I always have to eat last! Guinness looks great!!! Enjoy your time off!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we clean around the house and barn so that d'Arcy can go out. But G needs longer walks and I can't shovel the 2 km trail around the farm. He's okay as long he gets to come out after we get back.

      Delete
  2. What gorgeous forest . . . it oozes peace and serenity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha -Love the conversations with your horses :) So like horses too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear it all happened exactly as depicted.

      Delete
  4. gosh such needy critters!!!! i guess it really is their world, and we're all just supporting characters haha. happy bday to Ed and hopefully all that snow clears out PRONTO!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Irish is a TB?

    I've always wanted to try snowshoeing.

    Just not where I live - someplace remote like Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irish is a QH/TB cross (or Appendix QH), despite looking Arab at times. Snowshoeing is a lot of fun and really easy to learn. Come and visit- I'll take you out.

      Delete
  6. Enjoy your time off! We have snow in the forecast here too...wacky spring weather!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the conversation and I'm sure it happened just the way you say. Mine talk to me too (don't tell anybody.) Love your pictures too, just beautiful. Enjoy your time off. Hope it melts quickly so you can get a few rides in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My boys are so over the nor’easters, they’ve started voluntarily staying out during them! They can get into their stalls if they want, so I just leave them be. Less for me to muck out!

    I, on the other hand, am completely sick of snow and power outages. Go home, winter!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.