dancing horses

dancing horses

Thursday, November 23, 2017

Go With the Flow

As winter creeps ever closer riding is a hit or miss affair. I have to take advantage of the weather and ride when I can. I don't mind cold but I need the footing to not be frozen and, frankly, I don't want to ride when the wind is strong and biting. Sometimes the weather is great but my work schedule won't let that work.

Interestingly I am not super frustrated by this.  I ride when I can and really, what else can I do?

Carmen is certainly energetic these days. Our rides are not bad but there is sometimes far more drama then I would like. Which part of the ring is spooky is a moving target these days. I am sure that there are hunters in the woods which does not help (not in my woods but around us).

Also interestingly I am not frustrated by this. I am trying to not buy into the cycle of tension and it does work (but is not easy). I ride out the shenanigans and make sure that we have positive work.
from October: exit stage right

What has happened to me?

In short, 2017 happened. I did a crap load of things with Carmen and pushed us outside our comfort zone. Neither one of us was hurt or died. I believe that I know what her repertoire is and it does not bother me. I've learned how sit deep and strong and not try to clamp on.

I don't mean that I'm causal or careless.

I'm just 'whatever' when she's spooky and full of praise when she's good. I'm pretty sure that I've taken the fun out of it.
We can be balanced (again from October)
But when you have done this: 

It's hard to believe that your horse is a nervous wreck and scared of the universe.

So I go with what going on and just try to figure out what we need to come together.

A collateral gain from this season is that my anxiety about trailering. I used to find it tiring but now I find myself very comfortable. Probably because I've done so much of it and because Carmen is so good about it.

This weekend Carmen and I are heading to Karen's for a fun weekend. The plan includes riding, eating, possible a tack shop visit, some wine (for me, Karen doesn't drink really) and lots of talking/laughing. There is no schedule, a brief sketch of a plan and that's it.

We're just going to go with the flow.

I can't wait.

24 comments:

  1. It's great that Carmen's antics don't bother you anymore and you've learned how to deal with them. I'm sure she'll figure out soon enough that she's not getting away with any nonsense and someday just turn a corner and give up.

    Have a great time this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I am hoping for. I do believe that it will go away and only crop up every now and then.

      Delete
  2. So awesome how you were able to work through shenanigans this year and increase your confidence while building a great relationship with Carmen 🙂 going with the flow sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your attitude with antics, winter, and everything that could potentially be frustrating. I'm already struggling a bit with not being able to ride as much (winter came early and decided to stay :/). You and Carmen have had such a great year! It has been so fun following along with your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am sure that I will get frustrated once the ice settles in. Our grass is still green right now! I'm glad that you enjoyed our antics. :)

      Delete
  4. You’re right, if you can do that, you can do anything! A partnership should bring confidence—where you are strong, she is weak, but where you are weak, she is strong. Together, you’re unbeatable. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your attitude with her is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your attitude and hope you have a wonderful weekend! It's so easy to get caught up in a cycle of "everything must count!" that things like weather or busy schedules can take on an undue sense of importance. I'm glad it's not been feeling that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. There was a time when I would have had exactly that attitude. But Carmen does not respond well to that. :)

      Delete
  7. Love your take on it - I too, have been unable to ride much due to a variety of reasons (lack of light, work, inclement weather, etc). I don't mind the break much to be honest!

    Hope you guys have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have really been developing a partnership with her and I continue to be inspired by your patience and your way of dealing with some of the spookiness and other things she's tried. I really hope that I can do as many things with Katai next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your journey with Katai has been as inspiring to me.

      Delete
  9. Going with the flow is the hardest but the most amazing lesson learned

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so cheerful! And what a fun time hauling to a friends for riding with no schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I giggled at the fact that you've taken the fun out of it. Poor Carmen, momma isn't "showing up to play" any more. ;-) I love your overall mindset, too, and hope to embody it more going forward with my own Spook Queen. You two have had such an incredible year together and I can't wait to see what the future has in store. I hope you had a great weekend with Karen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving taking the fun out of it. :)
      I know that you will do fabulous with Q.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.