dancing horses

dancing horses

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Decisions



Thank you everyone for your kind words about Belle. In some ways she's better- her coughing is much less so the diuretic is working. However, she's still very lethargic and not eating. The vet has adjusted her heart meds to see if that helps. He's surprised that she's worse than when he saw her. To me it makes sense- people have heart attacks and go to the hospital, some get better and some do not. I can't see why it would be different than dogs.

I am doing everything to entice her to eat. The latest is a some browned hamburger, rice and a splash of my beef barley soup. The look she gave me today makes me believe that she appreciates the irony that I'm giving her her favourite foods and she doesn't want it.


d'Arcy is benefitting from the diet but believes that it really is too much that he can't have hers too. 


There are a few positive signs- she barked at the UPS guy yesterday and got up on the couch today.

But she's not herself.
Which leaves Ed and I trying to figure out what is the best thing to do.

At what point are we no longer giving her time to get better but prolonging her misery?

Despite her start Belle has been loved for the past 8 years. She has learned to run and play and be loved. She always struggled with the idea of sharing toys


A dog needs to run and be happy.
and to plot how to steal sticks when d'Arcy isn't paying attention

I don't know the answer yet but I am getting closer.


14 comments:

  1. I am sorry, losing a fur child is really hard. I would say to side on the side of early versus late. I sided late once and felt so bad for it for a long time. Still do. My last cat I had to put down due to cancer I put him down as soon as he stopped eating but I still think maybe it was too long. It is a very tough decision, I hope you can find the one that is best for you and Belle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the answer comes to you gently. Some of these photos and ones in the last post look professional.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a very difficult decision to make. We faced the same condition with our Siberian Husky many years ago. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It can be a difficult decision to make. We had a dachshund with some back issues that seemed to get better and worse, but ultimately it was determined that a piece of her spine had died and the paralysis was creeping upwards. When it got near the lungs, we had to let her go. I think in some ways that was easier, because there was absolutely no second-guessing the decision. But it's hard when you see some improvement, but maybe not enough. Hugs to you and Ed and Belle (and d'Arcy). This is the heartbreaking side of having pets :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. What ever you decide with be the right thing, because it will be a decision made with love. Hugs. Sometimes life is just hard. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hugs. Belle is the perfect name for her -- she is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always hard to make the decision and then not second guess yourself. I hope that the answer comes easily. Belle is a lucky girl to have so much love surrounding her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so difficult to know. Some dogs tell you it's time, some don't. i hope Belle is one who does. For me, feeling their relief at be allowed to leave you really helps our heart ache when they do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's never easy, but I think you do know when it's right and only the one who loves them can make that decision. Thinking of you and hoping for clarity and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. <3 Sending hugs. One of my good friends told me something once... sorry if this seems a bit callous/rude (I don't mean it that way!). "Better to let them go a minute early rather than a minute too late." This was applied to an older horse, but I think the same holds true for our house pets. I'm struggling with my little dog Toby having seizure issues again and I think some tough choices will be happening in my life soon too :(.
    You know Belle best and I'm sure will make the right decision as her loving guardian. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sending you all the positive thoughts and hugs. It's so hard that their lives are so short. I'm with KateRose, better too early than too late. I know you will make the best decision for you and Belle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am deeply sorry to hear about your beloved dog. I am thinking of you and can empathize, having put down my sweet dog and horse just in the last few years. It is not easy. <3 This quote helped me and maybe will also help you as well. "To place your animal's need to leave her failing body above your need to keep her with you, that is the greatest and purest love." - C.Garrett

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love the feedback.